Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 150MB internet data enough for just emails and light browsing on a nokia lumia 520

Options
  • 15-06-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice here. I currently use a Nokia C5 and spend €20 a month on PAYG with Vodafone for free text and calls to vodafone numbers and 150 MB internet included which I use for emailing and the odd google search on internet. As most of my calls are to vodafone numbers I ususally buy a bundle of texts for other numbers and to be honest I rarely use much of the remaining credit each month. (currently stands at €97 from this year alone)
    I see that vodafone are doing a deal with the Nokia Lumia 520 for €129 with PAYG. Which I quite like the look of the phone but I feel that if I had a smart phone then I may use the internet a bit more, mainly for browsing sites like boards and searches etc than things like facebook, youtube etc which I don't use anyway.
    Any thoughts folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Berberis wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice here. I currently use a Nokia C5 and spend €20 a month on PAYG with Vodafone for free text and calls to vodafone numbers and 150 MB internet included which I use for emailing and the odd google search on internet. As most of my calls are to vodafone numbers I ususally buy a bundle of texts for other numbers and to be honest I rarely use much of the remaining credit each month. (currently stands at €97 from this year alone)
    I see that vodafone are doing a deal with the Nokia Lumia 520 for €129 with PAYG. Which I quite like the look of the phone but I feel that if I had a smart phone then I may use the internet a bit more, mainly for browsing sites like boards and searches etc than things like facebook, youtube etc which I don't use anyway.
    Any thoughts folks

Do you have access to Wireless bb at home or other places you frequent?

If you do, then it might do you just fine - otherwise, it's a bit low. Is there a daily rate if you go over the 150Mb limit? sometimes the cost is okay - 99C per day?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

150 MB or 150Mb? And 150 MB per day? Week? Month? Either way, it's sod all. You would want to keep it for very simple e-mail reading - no ads, images. previews, downloads, audio and video.

It's the equivalent of 40 pages of the Irish Times or the boards.ie You laugh, you lose threads or 5 pages of the Funny Gifs thread.

http://www.irishtimes.com/
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056970387
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894901

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't think its a lot for a modern smartphone. If you download apps on the go it'll add up quickly.

The Lumia phones are lovely pieces of kit and I don't think you'd be doing the basics for very long on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D.J.K.75

Any thoughts folks

I went from the C5 to a Lumia 800, I have 150MB in my plan, it does me fine. I also have wifi at home which I use there, but when I'm out & about I turn on the 3G, I've never gone over the 150MB, all I use it for is the odd email, twitter and browsing.

If you do happen to buy the phone online from Vodafone, buy it through fatcheese.ie & also say you're changing over from Metror and you'll get another 20euro off. Last year I bought the Lumia 800, it was reduced from 429 to 169euro, I got it for 129 euro by saying I was coming from another network (Meteor) and then I bought it through fatcheese as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Yep its 150MB per month with the first month free which also includes 1GB free for the first month, so I was thinking I could download any extra ringtones or upgrades to phone etc in the first month and then just confine the phone to what I use my current phone to, which is basicly a handfull of emails sent each day and received and also emailing the odd picture with my emails. And also the odd internet search on google or checking latest footballl scores.

D.J.K.75 I will look at the fatcheese site for any deals thanks. Unfortunately I am not a new customer with vodafone so I can't avail of the changeover from meteor as my current number is with Vodafone

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Yep its 150MB per month with the first month free which also includes 1GB free for the first month, so I was thinking I could download any extra ringtones or upgrades to phone etc in the first month and then just confine the phone to what I use my current phone to, which is basicly a handfull of emails sent each day and received and also emailing the odd picture with my emails. And also the odd internet search on google or checking latest footballl scores.

D.J.K.75 I will look at the fatcheese site for any deals thanks. Unfortunately I am not a new customer with vodafone so I can't avail of the changeover from meteor as my current number is with Vodafone

Yes, but "pretend" you're with Meteor.... When you go to buy ANY PAYG phone at ANY time on vodafone.ie they always ask if you're a new or existing customer, I have always put NEW CUSTOMER down, then I get an extra 20euro off straight away, it won't affect anything with the phone or your existing number....

Basically you go to Meteor.ie, request a free sim to be sent in the post (assuming you have an unlocked phone), then on the VF site when they ask if you're an new or existing customer, you pick new, enter the meteor number, they'll then text a code to the meteor number, you enter that code into vodafone.ie where they ask, and that's it.. They'll then quash that Meteor number, charge you 20 euro less, send you out a phone in the post along with a vodafone sim with the meteor number, you can throw the new sim in the bin.

I've been doing this for years, as have loads of others!

D.J.K.75 wrote: »
    Yes, but "pretend" you're with Meteor.... When you go to buy ANY PAYG phone at ANY time on vodafone.ie they always ask if you're a new or existing customer, I have always put NEW CUSTOMER down, then I get an extra 20euro off straight away, it won't affect anything with the phone or your existing number....

Basically you go to Meteor.ie, request a free sim to be sent in the post (assuming you have an unlocked phone), then on the VF site when they ask if you're an new or existing customer, you pick new, enter the meteor number, they'll then text a code to the meteor number, you enter that code into vodafone.ie where they ask, and that's it.. They'll then quash that Meteor number, charge you 20 euro less, send you out a phone in the post along with a vodafone sim with the meteor number, you can throw the new sim in the bin.

I've been doing this for years, as have loads of others!

Excellent, Thanks for that.
    Have just ordered a sim and will buy the phone on-line as soon as sim arrives.
    Thanks again

Ah bummer, just realised that the free Top up offer of
    FREE 1GB of internet & Vodafone calls & texts for 1 month, plus €20 free credit will come with the new sim and so to use it I would need to use the new sim for the first month, which would be a fair bit of an inconvenience with regards to current contacts and incoming calls etc.

Shucks!! Well at least you'll get 20euro free credit and 1gb. So just buy it through fatcheese on your own number. You'll be charged the whole amount at 1st, but you'll get refunded 20euro from fatcheese but you'll have to log in to your fatcheese account from time to time to see if you can retrieve it, but it'll take a good while, but you will get it.

Lastly, be wary of the Lumia 520, I think I saw somewhere that it has no flash on the camera.
    Google GSM arena and that site will have all the info on the phone.

Advertisement