Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaking balcony, house built 2007.

• 15-06-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26

Moved into a new house in 2007, 3 storey house with a balcony. Most of the houses have had balcony leaks at this stage but my leak just occured this week, mid-June 2013. Prior to this the builder or Homebond covered repairs. I checked with Homebond and they only cover water leaks notified within 5 years of a new build so they did not want to entertain me. House insurance will only cover if due to storm damage or a leaking pipe. The roofing company that looked at my house had been called into the estate in 2009 to repair 4 balconies and they said that there was a design problem with all the balconies. The builder does not want to know about any problems. I have been quoted €3,000 to repair the problem which I will have to pay myself.
    Any advice would be welcome. Is the builder responsible when so many houses have had leaks from the balconies? Or is Homebond responsible when the roofing company feel that it is a design problem with all the balconies? It has been a regular sight to see cherrypickers in the estate and a balcony pulled up. There are just 22 houses with these balconies.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

bofinfan wrote: »
    Moved into a new house in 2007, 3 storey house with a balcony. Most of the houses have had balcony leaks at this stage but my leak just occured this week, mid-June 2013. Prior to this the builder or Homebond covered repairs. I checked with Homebond and they only cover water leaks notified within 5 years of a new build so they did not want to entertain me. House insurance will only cover if due to storm damage or a leaking pipe. The roofing company that looked at my house had been called into the estate in 2009 to repair 4 balconies and they said that there was a design problem with all the balconies. The builder does not want to know about any problems. I have been quoted €3,000 to repair the problem which I will have to pay myself.
    Any advice would be welcome. Is the builder responsible when so many houses have had leaks from the balconies? Or is Homebond responsible when the roofing company feel that it is a design problem with all the balconies? It has been a regular sight to see cherrypickers in the estate and a balcony pulled up. There are just 22 houses with these balconies.

UNFORTUNATLEY its a maintaince issue and no home insurance pays out for maintaince issues.

HOMEBOND will cover the structure but not internalls within 5 years. so get it fixed asap as a bad down pour of rain. will eventually cause damage to ceilings and walls ect causing more expense to you. Resulting damage from the balcony is not covered by maintaince also.

If you where living in an aparment with this issue. The responsibilty would be on the owner with the leaking balcony. However IN YOUR CASE. its down to you to repair and pay for it.

Dont forget water escaping into hidden recess causes more damage. Just because you cant see water damage internally. Does not mean you are having problems internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Where is it. We fix alot of leaking balconies doubt it would be 3 grand either

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Where is it. We fix alot of leaking balconies doubt it would be 3 grand either
    are you based in cork (corkgxr) i come across a lot of this. can pass them onto you. during the winter on average 10 calls plus are leaking balconies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

are you based in cork (corkgxr).

I would say he's from Cork & could get to a job very quickly on his GSXR!

shane0007 wrote: »

whats gsxr?

• Advertisement

Ya I do work for a crowd thats fixing about 1-2 a week.

087 094 4050 obr maintenance.

whats gsxr?
    A suzuki gsxr 600 (a motorbike)
    shane0007 wrote: »

I could get away with it when I was a apprentice but not anymore. Id love a job where I didn't have to carry so much tools. Van be gone. Have a car and take the bike to work. But I have far too much tools

could you not get a side cart with a roof rack for the bike.:D

Advertisement