Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celebrated Days

• 15-06-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

This year I am breaking the trend, being heartless to some, to me coping on .

Surely I am not the only one who has come to loathe Fathers day, Mothers day, Grannys, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, Valentines, birthdays Cousin twenty times removed Days.

I mean I really really hate them and everything they stand for. I think they put pressure on already strapped people to buy cards presents. If it were one I wouldn't mind but take tomorrow for example, I have to buy for hubby from kids, father, father in law, and two granpas, already this week I have had three birthday presents to buy.

Just what do you get and 80 something year old who don't smoke, drink, has enough hats coats walking sticks to open his own shop.

So I am taking the bull by the horns and buying cards and that is it.

Am I alone in this thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

To Arthur!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Steak and BJ is the only special day I recognise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I buy nobody nothing.

They know exactly what to expect, I know exactly what to buy.

Everybody's happy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Just what do you get and 80 something year old who don't smoke, drink, has enough hats coats walking sticks to open his own shop.

A shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Teacup.

NEXT!

But seriously, I don't know anyone who's as big into fathers day as you seem to be, it sounds kind of mental to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This year I am breaking the trend, being heartless to some, to me coping on .

Surely I am not the only one who has come to loathe Fathers day, Mothers day, Grannys, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, Valentines, birthdays Cousin twenty times removed Days.

I mean I really really hate them and everything they stand for. I think they put pressure on already strapped people to buy cards presents. If it were one I wouldn't mind but take tomorrow for example, I have to buy for hubby from kids, father, father in law, and two granpas, already this week I have had three birthday presents to buy.

So I am taking the bull by the horns and buying cards and that is it.

Am I alone in this thinking?

No, I don't do the Hallmark days either. Not too found of the superstition based ones also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Just buy card and throw in a few scratch cards.
    5yr old has drawn a very strange looking tractor so that will be the card and ill buy some scratch cards and a box if Ferraro rocher . Cue a happy grandad. (My dad) .husband has requested a rhubarb crumble.
    Everyone's happy

In my richer days I'd buy a card and spend 50euro or so on a jumper or restaurant voucher . That day is gone.

So just a token gift and all are happy .
    The little things can make people happy op. so why not go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

all this **** about buying people stuff should only be for kids. "oh well done you on being one year older, wonderfull achievement how the **** did you manage that :confused: "

kids need encouragement and loving adults shouldnt. htfu

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

I am not a huge fan of official celebration days myself. I think you should celebrate all those people every day (well maybe not cousin twenty times removed).

My wife loves celebration days, it does not hurt anyone, so I see no reason not to spoil her a bit on those days to make her happy.

Bring a the people you want to celebrate a bunch of flowers/chocolates/wine/present on some other random day instead. You shouldn't need a day to do it.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Plastic Sheeting

It's a liberating feeling when you don't buy into that kinda s.hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I buy nobody nothing.

They know exactly what to expect, I know exactly what to buy.

Everybody's happy.:)

Double negative!
    Sooooo, what ya buying me for my birthday? :)

Advertisement