Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrosion Protection

Options
  • 15-06-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I recently found out something about the gun grease I use regularly on my guns. While not attracting moisture, it will tolerate it and will let rust form underneath. That prompted a somewhat lengthy research into what lubes will protect a gun better. Based upon various tests researched, the following performed very well over the long term:

Weapon Shield oil
    Weapon Shield grease

Tri-flow oil
    PL-10 power lift grease
    Corrosion X
    Eezox
    Smith & Wesson oil

Breakfree CLP

For those of you who are fans of WD-40, it does very well as a protectant. Unfortunately its not the best lubricant for firearms, it tends to gunk up and I have had that happen to me. But for a protective coating, it does very well. One of the tests done, this one at 6mmbr web site:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

This doesnt suggest to stop using the lubricant you are happy with, after all its primary role is as a good lube, and there are many good ones out there. I learned just to be aware that some protect from rust better than others. If you want to protect from the elements or long term storage, you might have to get another product for that role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

The best job for gun protection &maintenance is Brunox spray ,imo.
    Found not- thing that does the job better yet !
    Cheap , simple and really looks after my guns .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My mate brought me some Eezox back from the US.
    Its great stuff,
    You wipe it on and it dries after a few minutes and leaves a protective coating on the firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Whenever I buy a firearm, I try to take as many images of the original lube points as possible.

If anyone has ever seen under the rail of a new Glock, you may remember seeing the "gold" grease, something you should not clean away.

I had the good fortune of meeting a Glock Armorer one day who showed me exactly what to do, and more importantly what not to do when cleaning a Glock.

It is a fine balance: too much grease in the wrong area, sludge scours the firearm. Too little, too much friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Just had a very good outing today with my Glock 19. It runs pretty dry except for a small amt of lubricant in just the right places. Its one of the easiest of all to maintain no doubt.

Advertisement