Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jam or Marmalade?

• 15-06-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

To much or to little and if so, what should it be. Discuss

What is your favourite? 113 votes

Marmalade
    0%
    Strawberry Jam
    16%
    GusherINGcon1982moceri[Deleted User]SEPT 23 1989RelikkFanadManNemesesSadieSueTzrVwrNtelekonInboxTheFullDuckKev.OClisatuahnowbrowncowCiencianocosbloodymickPodgerz 19 votes
    Raspberry Jam
    39%
    BArraRabiesKoldDiddy Kongjam_mac_jamLiam90xtal191dfx-artanevillamichellieandy125LizTTea-a-Mariaallthedoylessunflower27heffo500TimmyctcSCOOP 64SkylineheadMiss Lockhart 45 votes
    Gooseberry Jam
    20%
    aFlabbyPandaPaignekowloonI-like-eggs,mmmPj!JennyAntMarzipan85ibarelycaregobo99TiddlypeepsfoxinsoxVanishingActskc90JonSnuuujupiterjackilikepearsrocky bilboaLishaFr_DougalPizzamanIRL 23 votes
    Blackcurrant Jam
    0%
    SpannerMonkey 1 vote
    Apple Jam
    15%
    StarkTar.AldarionWurlyaf_thefragileLatchyMicky DolenzShelTomatoGlico ManPinturicchiomohawkWhatNowForUs?Marsdenwendell bortonakuraChuckenRasheedCody Pomeray 17 votes
    Plum Jam
    0%
    Pear Jam
    0%
    BUBBLE WRAP 1 vote
    Lemon Curd.
    0%
    None of the above: Please state on thread.
    6%
    super_furrymallardsThe Cooldmc17SimonLynchIhatecuddles-oldFelixPop 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Discuss

No thanks. I'd rather talk about jam sandwiches - should we butter them or not?

I say not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Apple Jam
    tootsy70 wrote: »
    To much or to little and if so, what should it be. Discuss

NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I vote for discuss, much under rated sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Raspberry Jam
    NO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's too little jam for some and too much marmalade for others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Strawberry Jam
    Yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 meath4sam2k1

€188 a week?

be grand shur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I say not.

Lash on the butter I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

ruthloss wrote: »
    Butter makes jam sambos to be fair.

Only two sambos I have butter on are jam and crisp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

needs to be increased for single males over the age of 25.

i need a new computer

Apple Jam

But if its real butter, straight from the fridge,it breaks the bread and the jam leaks out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    needs to be increased for single males over the age of 25.

i need a new computer

Ah, so you wish to to stay single?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Was talking to someone from spain and they said, after a few months benefits then your own your own and dont get any help. Would be interesting times here in ireland if that was the case here.

Raspberry Jam
    real butter from fridge only good on toast.

Apple Jam
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »

..and cheese and onion Tayto sandwiches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Only if the toast is straight from the toaster and melts the butter.

Dammit now I want toast.

Raspberry Jam
    yeah, cant beat real butter on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

Theres a few problems with the current setup.

Would be far better to have tiers/levels.

So people with low bills should be given less. IE someone living alone.

People with more bills are given more. IE someone with family and mortgage.

And then it can also be divided further into people who have been unemployed for under 1 year get so much, people unemployed for over 3 years get to so much etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

AdamOHare wrote: »

And then it can also be divided further into people who have been unemployed for under 1 year get so much, people unemployed for over 3 years get to so much etc
    We have, fianna fail set it up for there elite galway tent friends.

Its called NAMA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apple Jam
    Should be €10 a week and a butter allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

So the bigger the bill you run up the more you get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone else think there is nothing quite like the bits of skin in a jar of homemade gooseberry jam?

Strawberry Jam
    Anyone else think there is nothing quite like the bits of skin in a jar of homemade gooseberry jam?

I'd rather just eat the gooseberries on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nemeses wrote: »
    I'd rather just eat the gooseberries on their own.
    But. . but. . . they'd fall out of the sandwich!:eek:

Well in a nutshell. Yes.

But of course, that doesnt mean a person on social can just go and buy a 2million euro house and then ask for mortage relief and assistance to pay docking fees for the yacht.

Basically imo the government should help with necessities.. esb, rent/mortgage etc Obviously a bigger family will have a bigger rent, bigger esb etc so of course they should get extra over say someone fresh out of college living at home with his parents.

Have you a better idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nope, the bigger the expense. You should be able to get a basic flat rate and be given an allowance based partially on what previous bills were.

I don't agree with saying there should be a time cap. That would result in homeless people. The reason people support ideas like time caps is because of a belief that scroungers are taking advantage of it. If you want to change that, then reform the assessment criteria.

additionally some people say that the dole is too much and doesn't encourage people to look for work. they say that if your getting €200 for free, why work 5 days for €300. If that's the case, raise the minimum wage. make work more attractive. Don't disincentivise the dole, incentivise working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about some music to lighten the mood?

Strawberry Jam
    But. . but. . . they'd fall out of the sandwich!:eek:

Not if you use toothpicks!

Just don't eat the toothpicks afterwards... could lead to more issues...

But if you've a medical card - you'll be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Raspberry Jam
    All this talk of jam sandwiches would make you feel hungry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Apple Jam

I say not.

Butter on jam sambo's, now I've heard it all. I used to be able to afford jam before I went on the dole.

No I live on a diet on caviare, lobster and champagne.

Grayson wrote: »
    Nope, the bigger the expense. You should be able to get a basic flat rate and be given an allowance based partially on what previous bills were.

I don't agree with saying there should be a time cap. That would result in homeless people. The reason people support ideas like time caps is because of a belief that scroungers are taking advantage of it. If you want to change that, then reform the assessment criteria.

additionally some people say that the dole is too much and doesn't encourage people to look for work. they say that if your getting €200 for free, why work 5 days for €300. If that's the case, raise the minimum wage. make work more attractive. Don't disincentivise the dole, incentivise working.

I pretty much agree with everything you say.

But I dont think a time cap would result in homeless people. I think once you reduce people social welfare slowly people will make options. Whether that be move county/country or retrain or take a job they wouldnt have normally taken. I just cant see it causing homelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I pretty much agree with everything you say.

But I dont think a time cap would result in homeless people. I think once you reduce people social welfare slowly people will make options. Whether that be move county/country or retrain or take a job they wouldnt have normally taken. I just cant see it causing homelessness.

I dunno. I grew up in the middle of the country and one or both of my parents were unemployed most of the time. They applied for everything they could, but in a limited job market there's only so much you can do. And immigration isn't always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Strawberry Jam
    This thread is going WAY off topic.

Butter is a necessity for jam sandwiches. Jeez, some people...

I dunno. I grew up in the middle of the country and one or both of my parents were unemployed most of the time. They applied for everything they could, but in a limited job market there's only so much you can do. And immigration isn't always an option.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think today, most of the unemployed are younger people. If the younger ones leave because social isnt paying enough then it leaves more money to spread around with genuine cases. Cutting social could be the nudge out the door they need.

Would also mean more support can be given to people like your parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Apple Jam
    My OH and I are on the dole a year now since we lost our jobs. We live together alone and get €156.40 each a week. It just covers our rent, bills and food with very little to spare after so IMO it's perfect (for us). We get enough to get by but we certainly don't have any spare cash to spend on anything. I know a guy on the dole about 5 years, same age as me, lives with parents, pays no rent or anything towards bills, gets the full whack in benefits. He is just back from his sun holiday, is drinking every weekend, smokes, has a new iPhone, has pre-ordered with the new xBox or PS and is forever buying new clothes. Makes me mad, because in the 5 years he's been on the dole he has never been reassessed or sent for placement meetings or asked to prove he's been looking for work. Ever. That's what needs to change. People on the dole long term should be brought in and given a choice of a couple of courses or apprenticeships or w/e based on their skills or interest until they find something that suits them, and if they just keep rejecting offers then reassess whether they even need the dole or not and dock them accordingly.

ShelTomato wrote: »
    My OH and I are on the dole a year now since we lost our jobs. We live together alone and get €156.40 each a week. It just covers our rent, bills and food with very little to spare after so IMO it's perfect (for us). We get enough to get by but we certainly don't have any spare cash to spend on anything. I know a guy on the dole about 5 years, same age as me, lives with parents, pays no rent or anything towards bills, gets the full whack in benefits. He is just back from his sun holiday, is drinking every weekend, smokes, has a new iPhone, has pre-ordered with the new xBox or PS and is forever buying new clothes. Makes me mad, because in the 5 years he's been on the dole he has never been reassessed or sent for placement meetings or asked to prove he's been looking for work. Ever. That's what needs to change. People on the dole long term should be brought in and given a choice of a couple of courses or apprenticeships or w/e based on their skills or interest until they find something that suits them, and if they just keep rejecting offers then reassess whether they even need the dole or not and dock them accordingly.

I dont mean to be rude, but can I ask why you only get 156 each? I thought social was 188 a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

How come everyone on the dole can manage 4 holidays a year and I can only manage 3. What am I doing wrong. Should I downsize from my mansion or maybe fire the butler, maid or chef? Maybe I shouldnt get a 132 Rolls Royce. Seriously where am going wrong?

Report him of GTFO

Sin City wrote: »
    Report him or GTFO

No point. I reported a lad for working and claiming. They caught him in the act. Obviously it was cash in hand work, and he claimed the employer was his best mate and he was doing the work as a favour and wouldnt be making a financial gain. He got a fobbing off, but that was it. Back to work a few weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Gooseberry Jam
    Had something to do with tar and a brush but I've forgotten what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

No point. I reported a lad for working and claiming. They caught him in the act. Obviously it was cash in hand work, and he claimed the employer was his best mate and he was doing the work as a favour and wouldnt be making a financial gain. He got a fobbing off, but that was it. Back to work a few weeks later.

Ah surely thats bull****

Apple Jam
    I dont mean to be rude, but can I ask why you only get 156 each? I thought social was 188 a week?

It's the full entitlement for a couple living together. If we had lied (like so many do) and said we weren't a couple we would have gotten the €188 each :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Gooseberry Jam
    ShelTomato wrote: »
    It's the full entitlement for a couple living together. If we had lied (like so many do) and said we weren't a couple we would have gotten the €188 each :P

It seems rather unfair, particularly when there's a child involved. People are encouraged to play the system. Those who really need the money often don't know their entitlements.

Apple Jam
    kowloon wrote: »
    It seems rather unfair, particularly when there's a child involved. People are encouraged to play the system. Those who really need the money often don't know their entitlements.

Yeah we hadn't a clue as we'd never been on the dole before, we just were upfront and honest about everything. We had to move to a cheaper place and a few people told us to ask our new landlord to lie about how much we're paying in rent so we could get rent allowance but we didn't. But we get by just fine so I don't understand how other people can't? It's really not that difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

shut the community welfare offices....save millions ....:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

Well in a nutshell. Yes.

But of course, that doesnt mean a person on social can just go and buy a 2million euro house and then ask for mortage relief and assistance to pay docking fees for the yacht.

Basically imo the government should help with necessities.. esb, rent/mortgage etc Obviously a bigger family will have a bigger rent, bigger esb etc so of course they should get extra over say someone fresh out of college living at home with his parents.

Have you a better idea?

don think they can do that

the mortgage is an investment in an asset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

That's all well and good, but our competitiveness was completely diminished during the boom, only getting back on track in recent times. Don't think increasing minimum wage would solve anything really; a step backwards in my opinion. It would push a company that's just about surviving at the moment over the cliff.

Only answer is to try and eradicate the incentive not to work. I could completely see why someone wouldn't want to work in the conditions we currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Depends on each individual. If someone has a disabilty, physical illness or a mental illness where they are unable to find work at all, then they should have benefits and have it increased for them.

But for those who are just basically lazy as f**k should be either given no dole, or given such a small amount of dole money that it might cop them on to go and find work somewhere.

I would make exceptions for those who have been made redundant ftom their jobs and have no choice but to go on the dole for a certain amount of time.

And then they are some who just need a push in the right direction. I am hoping to go to college next year, but I do have my doubts sometimes, wondering if I would be better off going on dole or not, especially when school and PLC work got too much for me sometimes, and I felt like that I cannot handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm open to correction here but did I read that for a unemployed married couple with 2 kids that if one of the parents had to take a job that it would have to be greater than €38,000 for it to be worthwhile coming off the social welfare?...thats presuming that they have a council house, medical card, rent allowance, water charges?..property tax?...etc,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Apple Jam

Butter on one and no butter on the other. Its great to compare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement