Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ouya for XBMC

• 15-06-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I received my Ouya during the week. I wasn't a kickstarter backer, so I bought it off someone in the States for $100 + $25 delivery. I got caught for €23.61 from customs.

The main reason I got it was for XBMC. I have both the ATV1 and the ATV2. The ATV1 is faster than the ATV2 for XBMC, and the Ouya is faster than the ATV1.

XBMC is working ok, any avi's that I've tried works brilliantly on it. I tried a few addons from xbmchub, some work but others are getting a few scripts errors. There are problems, but XBMC is still in beta stage for Android, and Ouya isn't fully release yet. I can only see it getting better and better.

I'm not too interested on games, but it's handy that it plays game.
    Also it being Android, has it advantages with all the apps that Android has too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

What about 720p and 1080p MKVs? How does it fare with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

You are lucky. Some kickstarter backers still have not got their Ouya's even though they are available from some retail stores in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

From what I am reading, the Ouya is now the best piece of hardware currently readily available for XBMC. Definitely worth a look, I think I'll be picking one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm running XBMC on it, eventually got it during the week (I was a backer).
    Same as you I got it more to play with the media centre possibilities on it than games.
    XBMC is working very well so far. It hasn't had a problem with anything I've thrown at it. Got the Google Music plugin for XBMC working with it aswell so thats a nice bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Whats the best place to get the Ouya?
    GAME and Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement

Amazon will ship it free, no need for parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Whats it like with live sport streams and RTMP?. Anyone using a paid subscription to a live sports addon playing on the ouya?. If not what about sports-a-holic addon or sportsdevil?. Heres where i figure it wont match up to linux because of the black magic that is live sports streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Whats it like with live sport streams and RTMP?. Anyone using a paid subscription to a live sports addon playing on the ouya?. If not what about sports-a-holic addon or sportsdevil?. Heres where i figure it wont match up to linux because of the black magic that is live sports streams.

I got mine during the week, it's running great. All the sports addons are running fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is there a browser on this and can you watch RTE Player on it (Flash) ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152897
    Irish tv addon for xbmc has rte player

• Advertisement

Can anyone with an Ouya confirm what size libraries they are managing with them? I currently have a Pi running Raspbmc and its starting to struggle with my 2 TB (~800 movies, 1000 TV episodes, 40 GB Music) library which I am hoping to expand shortly with a 3 TB drive. Will the Ouya be able to manage navigating through the various menus or will it also struggle?

Tentative bumpy bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Supercell wrote: »
    Is there a browser on this and can you watch RTE Player on it (Flash) ?

The browser on it is crap, but Chrome can be side-loaded. You can also sideload Adobe Flash. Instructions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

johnybean wrote: »
    Can anyone with an Ouya confirm what size libraries they are managing with them? I currently have a Pi running Raspbmc and its starting to struggle with my 2 TB (~800 movies, 1000 TV episodes, 40 GB Music) library which I am hoping to expand shortly with a 3 TB drive. Will the Ouya be able to manage navigating through the various menus or will it also struggle?

Something wrong there... I'd have close to 3tb of movies tv and music... no problems navigating through raspbmc here. Am using home plugs with a nas.

You might want to research that issue a bit more on the xbmc forums... sounds like it something simple like a slow sd card or USB key or something as simple as a wrong setting.

Also, use a "light" skin like quartz or confluence... they are lot process hogging and run smooth on the Pi. forget about a skin like aeon as they slow the navigation way down to a crawl.

Hope that helps.

Access wrote: »
    Something wrong there... I'd have close to 3tb of movies tv and music... no problems navigating through raspbmc here. Am using home plugs with a nas.

You might want to research that issue a bit more on the xbmc forums... sounds like it something simple like a slow sd card or USB key or something as simple as a wrong setting.

Also, use a "light" skin like quartz or confluence... they are lot process hogging and run smooth on the Pi. forget about a skin like aeon as they slow the navigation way down to a crawl.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response.
    I was running modified confluence but have since moved onto amber skin which was recommended over on STM lab forums. I also installed to usb with the recommended sandisk extreme 16GB usb3 stick and have OC at fast as turbo kept rebooting. I dont know if its the fact that I have the original 256mb board or an error on my part but the menus still take about 5-10 seconds to load (Going from home screen to movies). I also notice that I get reboots if I try to navigate in and out of multiple menus or try to do to many things at once. Also, if the Pi has been lying idle all day, if I try to start a movie or tv show through the yatse app it will usually throw a hissy fit and reboot.

Thanks for the response.
    I was running modified confluence but have since moved onto amber skin which was recommended over on STM lab forums. I also installed to usb with the recommended sandisk extreme 16GB usb3 stick and have OC at fast as turbo kept rebooting. I dont know if its the fact that I have the original 256mb board or an error on my part but the menus still take about 5-10 seconds to load (Going from home screen to movies). I also notice that I get reboots if I try to navigate in and out of multiple menus or try to do to many things at once. Also, if the Pi has been lying idle all day, if I try to start a movie or tv show through the yatse app it will usually throw a hissy fit and reboot.

256mb version... well theres your problem!

Xbmc recommend the 512mb board.

Access wrote: »
    256mb version... well theres your problem!

Xbmc recommend the 512mb board.

Thought that alright. Gonna give the latest version of openelec a go at the weekend and see if that helps, it's getting good reviews over at xbmchub.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi guys,

I currently have a WD Live box for streaming movies etc over wi-fi from my NAS and I also use the WD Netflix App for Breaking Bad etc.

I need a new box for the main family TV and the Ouya looks very interesting.

The three things I need it to do that I'm not certain from my research it will do are:-

1. Stream movies (via XBMC?) over wi-fi from a NAS?
    2. Play Netflix.
    3. Run sports streams from the internet.

Can someone confirm these for me?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for the response.

I had a similar problem. I since moved onto my Arctic box. However, before I gave my Pi to my bro I got it working nice a speedily with a handy little cheat. I used Yatse for my android phone and tablet. (Apparently there is something similar for iOS) That offloaded the menu function to the phone/tablet (And looked cool on them). I found Yatse to be a great XBMC partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Jumping on board here; planning to buy an Ouya soon to run XBMC so want to keep track of the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I got mine today..........steaming 1080p movies perfectly !

Had a problem with the sound at first though, apparently because they've disabled DTS and AC3 decoding on the newest version (12.3.3) due to licensing issues. Installing the previous version (12.3.2) fixed it easily enough.

Ordered last night along with one of these;

sku_58147_1.jpg

What about Android sticks as Media Players?

If I bought something like this http://www.cloudsto.com/android-mini-pc-s/rikomagic-quad-core-mk802iv-8gb-flash-bluetooth-dhl-express-shipping-detail.html I guess I could load XBMC onto it to stream movies from my NAS, load the Netflix Android App to run Netflix and Load https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....LiveStreaming to stream my online content???

Would the above work smoothly enough in practice or are these Android sticks all show and no go?

Also, how do you control them? Do you need a special remote control or do you download an app to your phone????

Ben

jamescd wrote: »
    I got mine today..........steaming 1080p movies perfectly !

Had a problem with the sound at first though, apparently because they've disabled DTS and AC3 decoding on the newest version (12.3.3) due to licensing issues. Installing the previous version (12.3.2) fixed it easily enough.

Hey, what guide did you use to get movies streaming?

I collected mine fro Parcel motel a few minutes ago!

Hey, what guide did you use to get movies streaming?

I collected mine fro Parcel motel a few minutes ago!

Are you streaming from another PC in the house or do you want to stream from the internet ?

Are you streaming from another PC in the house or do you want to stream from the internet ?

Gonna do both eventually.

For now, I've installed XBmC and connected a HDD via USB. It saw it at first, indexed all the files and added ImDB ratings and genres (sweeeeeeeeet as! :D) but now it can't see the USB drive intermittently.

Any similar issues?

Gonna do both eventually.

For now, I've installed XBmC and connected a HDD via USB. It saw it at first, indeed all the files and added ImDB ratings and genres (sweeeeeeeeet as! :D) but now it can't see the USB drive intermittently.

Any similar issues?

Can't say I have, I've plugged in a USB stick a couple of times and have had no problems.

Icefilms is great for movies and TV shows. Here's a handy guide to follow:

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/05/22/how-to-easily-install-1channel-icefilms-and-any-other-xbmc-addons/

Can't say I have, I've plugged in a USB stick a couple of times and have had no problems.

Icefilms is great for movies and TV shows. Here's a handy guide to follow:

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/05/22/how-to-easily-install-1channel-icefilms-and-any-other-xbmc-addons/

What size?

I've a 1TB HDD and a 32GB USB that both cause intermittent issues. Annoying.

What size?

I've a 1TB HDD and a 32GB USB that both cause intermittent issues. Annoying.

I've only tried it with my 8GB stick.

Having problems with the HDMI though. 3 times out of every 5 times that I turn it on, I get no picture/sound on the telly. Have to unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the OUYA and plug it back again in for the picture to appear. Not only is it annoying, but might damage the HDMI port in the long run.

• Advertisement

I've only tried it with my 8GB stick.

Having problems with the HDMI though. 3 times out of every 5 times that I turn it on, I get no picture/sound on the telly. Have to unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the OUYA and plug it back again in for the picture to appear. Not only is it annoying, but might damage the HDMI port in the long run.

No issues with HDmI yet.

I left the HDD plugged in while I watched another movie through the Xbox and all is good. :D Looks like it needed some time to cache everything.

I also set up some streams and a now watching a Blu Ray stream of Family Guy. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Eddieken

Got my Ouya a few weeks ago. Installed XBMC, but it seems a little unstable and has crashed several times but could this be due to the stinking speeds i'm getting from Eircom (down as low as 1Mb/s)? Some sports streams are not great but again could be eircom.

I tried plugging by EMtec movie cube into USB but Ouya wouldn't see it, guess i'll have to just switch over to watch my movies, no biggie.

Installed netflix and works well, also installed chrome and torrents. Chrome needs a bit of getting used to, but torrents is very good.

Overall i'm very happy with it.

Eddieken wrote: »
    Got my Ouya a few weeks ago. Installed XBMC, but it seems a little unstable and has crashed several times but could this be due to the stinking speeds i'm getting from Eircom (down as low as 1Mb/s)? Some sports streams are not great but again could be eircom.

I tried plugging by EMtec movie cube into USB but Ouya wouldn't see it, guess i'll have to just switch over to watch my movies, no biggie.

Installed netflix and works well, also installed chrome and torrents. Chrome needs a bit of getting used to, but torrents is very good.

Overall i'm very happy with it.

I found it a little slow at first but then did a fresh install and ran the config wizard from XBMC Hub, different beast now.

Yeah, i made the mistake of side loading android version of XBMC and tried loading video add ons one by one, it was slow and most channels came back with an error. Did the complete re-install using the offical Ouya app and the same XBMXhub wizard and things improved vastly. But still getting the odd crash, which i am putting down to eircom speeds and my impatience.

Yeah, i made the mistake of side loading android version of XBMC and tried loading video add ons one by one, it was slow and most channels came back with an error. Did the complete re-install using the offical Ouya app and the same XBMXhub wizard and things improved vastly. But still getting the odd crash, which i am putting down to eircom speeds and my impatience.

When you say the odd crash, do you mean it only happening while you are streaming via broadband or from just navigating and general use of xbmc?

The crashes seem to happen when I was navigating between menus, maybe i got impatient waiting for the menu lists to download and pressed backup a few times which resulted in a crash, but i'm still putting the crappy eircom speed down as the main culprit :)

• Advertisement

Guys, what's the micro usb slot on the OUYA for?

Ben

The crashes seem to happen when I was navigating between menus, maybe i got impatient waiting for the menu lists to download and pressed backup a few times which resulted in a crash, but i'm still putting the crappy eircom speed down as the main culprit :)

Nah, im still puzzled! :D

Menu lists of your own tv shows and movies on you own external hard drive or NAS... or is it menu lists of add ons that stream media from over the internet... like sports sites?

The reason i ask is i want to find out all pros/cons of using the ouya for xbmc before i make a future purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Can the Ouya play 5.1 audio?

Sorry, offline cause of eircom rubbish. The crashes i'm putting down to crappy eircom broadband not good enough for menu list of streams and video add ons.

You know you're in trouble when upload beats your download speed.

Your crashes are more likely caused by dodgy add-ons.

• Advertisement

You can connect to pc using the micro usb, i believe you can download the developer pack and program games using this (info from wikipedia).

Has anyone got 4OD or iPlayer working on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Has anyone got 4OD or iPlayer working on there?

the 4OD xbmc addon was blocked by channel 4 etc and iPlayer is geoblocked so you need to use a vpn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Has anyone experienced any issues with the 4od app (not xbmc) on Ouya?

It's only showing offline mode for me as if it doesn't have a working internet connection.
    I've no problem with the 4od app on other android device

Advertisement