Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Chesterfield Avenue

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hub D15 wrote: »
    Stating that it is easier for OPW staff to close it every weekend is not a valid reason to close a major public road...

It is also states that the Gardai are in favour of closing the road, but they have the largest car park in the phoenix park.:confused:

IT'S NOT A PUBLIC ROAD!!!!

It's a private avenue through a park, which the OPW currently allow to be used as an access route to city centre. They can revoke that access at any time. The OPW maintain the road, not the national roads authority, it does not have a roads designation.

We have all become accustomed to having it as a road and a commuter route but that's not it's primary purpose and the OPW have the right to block the use of part or all of the park at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hub D15

"IT'S NOT A PUBLIC ROAD!!!!

It's a private avenue through a park, which the OPW currently allow to be used"

Who owns the park? The public perhaps?

Who is the Office of Public Works supposed to serve? The public perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hub D15 wrote: »
    "IT'S NOT A PUBLIC ROAD!!!!

It's a private avenue through a park, which the OPW currently allow to be used"

Who owns the park? The public perhaps?

Who is the Office of Public Works supposed to serve? The public perhaps?

And the public have access to the park, to use it as a park not a commuter artery. It is not classed as a road anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hub D15

athtrasna wrote: »
    And the public have access to the park, to use it as a park not a commuter artery. It is not classed as a road anywhere.

It looks quite like a road though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

One of the routes I run most often is up and down the length of Chesterfield Avenue. Therefore parking along it makes the most sense. There may be "lots of parking" elsewhere but if Chesterfield Avenue is ever closed to private cars and park users are forced to park in the actual car parks, they are going to run out of spaces pretty quickly, especially during the Summer on nice days.

I can just see people with families heading to the zoo for the day jumping for joy with having to park up in the Papal Cross car park (1.8km) or over in the football grounds (also around 1.8km) when the relatively small car park that was built a few years back fills up. Lets hope there aren't too many matches on at that time as the teams will need to park there too.

The backroads, especially by the Garda headquarters and the Civil Defence would fill up with cars as well and as the rest of the roads are narrower with no hard shoulder markings, it would also be a lot more dangerous for everyone, be they motorists, pedestrians or cyclists.

I'd agree. When Chesterfield Ave was closed for repairs the side roads were a lot more clogged up with cars, more dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

L5 wrote: »
    From my experience, the closed section has very few people using it. People are lazy, and like to park close to where they're going to walk etc.

With the run of nice Sundays we got there was a massive uptick in the number of barbecues in the park.

The new trend for the uber-lazy seems to be that you park wherever you can, even if it's a most un-scenic part of the park, open your car door, set the the grill up in the gap between your door and car and sit in the front seat of your car while you cook.

Back to nature eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

One of the routes I run most often is up and down the length of Chesterfield Avenue. Therefore parking along it makes the most sense. There may be "lots of parking" elsewhere but if Chesterfield Avenue is ever closed to private cars and park users are forced to park in the actual car parks, they are going to run out of spaces pretty quickly, especially during the Summer on nice days.

I can just see people with families heading to the zoo for the day jumping for joy with having to park up in the Papal Cross car park (1.8km) or over in the football grounds (also around 1.8km) when the relatively small car park that was built a few years back fills up. Lets hope there aren't too many matches on at that time as the teams will need to park there too.

The backroads, especially by the Garda headquarters and the Civil Defence would fill up with cars as well and as the rest of the roads are narrower with no hard shoulder markings, it would also be a lot more dangerous for everyone, be they motorists, pedestrians or cyclists.

The section of Chesterfield Avenue near the zoo is still open.

The only part that is closed is the part between the roundabout outside the Aras and the roundabout by the Castleknock exit.

Cyclists and pedestrians can still use the road, it is only closed for motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

reprazant wrote: »
    The section of Chesterfield Avenue near the zoo is still open.

The only part that is closed is the part between the roundabout outside the Aras and the roundabout by the Castleknock exit.

Cyclists and pedestrians can still use the road, it is only closed for motorists.

I'm aware of all that. My post was in response to a wish that some people have to close Chesterfield in its entirety for all private cars.

I was just pointing out that if this was to happen, despite claims to the contrary, there really isn't sufficient, safe parking that would be convenient to all the amenities.

Advertisement