Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VDSL Stats - Whats yours?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

peking97 wrote: »
    I notice it runs a custom firmware for the tests. Do you know if they load a useful firmware when test finishes?

It runs a modded version of DDWRT I think, not 100% sure though.

They produce a monthly report at the end of the month which tells you how your line is getting on so I guess this would be considered very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

They produce a monthly report at the end of the month which tells you how your line is getting on so I guess this would be considered very useful.

Mine has been dispatched. Will keep ye posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Installed about 3 weeks ago. Hoping vectoring hasn't been enabled yet, as I look forward to seeing higher speeds down the line. Overall really happy, bar a few minor hiccups.

~150m from the cabinet and Wired test.

3512425627.png

10752t0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

http://technology.ie/broadband-measurement-company-samknows-launches-irish-campaign

Wonder if this would be of benefit to gathering detail for anyone. I have received and install their box this morning. Not for fibre, but for standard BB

Installed about 3 weeks ago. Hoping vectoring hasn't been enabled yet, as I look forward to seeing higher speeds down the line. Overall really happy, bar a few minor hiccups.

~150m from the cabinet and Wired test.

3512425627.png

10752t0.jpg

How much speed do you want?

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    How much speed do you want?

Whatever the line is capable of - which currently stands at 100+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

You line may be capable, but one does not receive this. I believe that is a drop off of speed depending on distance from cabinet. If I am not mistaken.

Whatever the line is capable of - which currently stands at 100+.

You're on the 70 profile and getting 67. I'm on the 50 profile and getting 48. I'm delighted with that. Don't take much notice of attainable speeds as mine vary hugely daily. A great service. It's only when I have to endure someone else's bad bb that I appreciate my fibre service.

You're on the 70 profile and getting 67. I'm on the 50 profile and getting 48. I'm delighted with that. Don't take much notice of attainable speeds as mine vary hugely daily. A great service. It's only when I have to endure someone else's bad bb that I appreciate my fibre service.

I was on 50 until yesterday, when I rang up and had them increase it to 70.

Perhaps you don't need the extra 20, but I use it to download games (40+GB in size), play First person shooters competitively, and stream video (among other things).

If I'm paying the money and a greater speed is available, I'll take it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

This is with Eircom E fibre: The speed has dropped by 20 megs in the last few weeks to this:

3512502927.png

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 3 days: 19 hours: 57 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 16.382 Mbps 34.813 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 16.383 Mbps 34.814 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.3 dB 13.6 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: 2.8 dBm 12.4 dBm
    Receive Power: -15.4 dBm -7.2 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 18.2 dB 19.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 22.873 Mbps 49.828 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 3.3 28.3 33.5 N/A 12.3 30.7 45.4
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 3.3 27.5 32.8 N/A 15.6 30.7 45.4
    SNR Margin(dB): 12.2 12.3 12.3 N/A 13.6 13.6 13.6
    Transmit Power(dBm):-12.4 - 2.7 1.2 N/A 8.2 7.8 7.0

VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
    Since Link time = 57 min 5 sec
    FEC: 3240 1697
    CRC: 0 0
    ES: 0 0
    SES: 0 0
    UAS: 0 0
    LOS: 0 0
    LOF: 0 0
    LOM: 0 0
    Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 37 sec
    FEC: 0 6
    Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
    FEC: 0 0
    Latest 1 day time = 19 hours 57 min 37 sec
    FEC: 358 183
    Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
    FEC: 661 381
    Total time = 1 days 19 hours 57 min 37 sec
    FEC: 3240 1697
    UAS: 30 30
    ===========================================================================

These were my speeds a while back after getting VDSL installed:
    3376708084.png

Can anyone suggest why my speed has dropped to this? Both test's were done wired with nothing else on the network. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

So, in other words, the reason why you're having a little winge is because you begrudge is stats/speeds?

If you were actually content with your speeds, you wouldn't be whining about others wanting faster speeds. Grow up.

Perhaps you don't need the extra 20, but I use it to download games (40+GB in size), play First person shooters competitively, and stream video (among other things).

The point I was making is not to put too much belief in what the router is telling you. Be happy with your lot. Me or my children use the Internet for all the things you do and after enduring 5 months of hell with Sky bb we're delighted to have a decent reliable service back again.

So, in other words, the reason why you're having a little winge is because you begrudge is stats/speeds?

If you were actually content with your speeds, you wouldn't be whining about others wanting faster speeds. Grow up.

What's your problem??? Nowhere in my post did I say I wasn't content with my speeds quite the opposite in fact. To be getting almost the full of my given profile is fine by me.

What's your problem??? Nowhere in my post did I say I wasn't content with my speeds quite the opposite in fact. To be getting almost the full of my given profile is fine by me.

Then why are you comparing your speeds to his? Are your jealous of him or something? What's all the fuss about?

Then why are you comparing your speeds to his? Are your jealous of him or something? What's all the fuss about?

Please stop...... Thanks..

Please stop...... Thanks..

Stop what? You're the one making a big song and dance just someone with faster speeds than yours wanting even more.

I suggest familiarizing yourself with the lesser evil fallacy because you will help you realise the stupidity of your posts.

I think they've given you all they have to give at this stage:D My attainable speeds are all over the shop these last few weeks going from a heady 101 down to as low as 42 when I'm getting 47-48 consistently. As long as it stays consistent I'm a happy camper, anything is better than the 0.3meg I had to endure from 7 to 11 each evening with sky BB. I tried to squeeze an extra drop from an Eircom rep but he wouldn't budge me from the 50 profile. He told me to call later in the year, presumably when vectoring is enabled on my cabinet.

I got my box this morning but the light on the right (two circular arrows) just keeps flashing at either a slow speed or a fast speed. With the desktop connected to the white box I don't have an internet connection either:mad:. Not impressed...

I got my box this morning but the light on the right (two circular arrows) just keeps flashing at either a slow speed or a fast speed. With the desktop connected to the white box I don't have an internet connection either:mad:. Not impressed...
    Kind of sounds like a DNS issue or maybe even an IP one.

Make sure there's an Ethernet cable going from your router to the WAN port of the Whitebox then connect your computers to the white box.

Also try resolve the issue with the Windows?

Make sure there's an Ethernet cable going from your router to the WAN port of the Whitebox then connect your computers to the white box.

It seems to be a dns issue as the av auto updated but page not displayed is on the browser. Windows diagnostic says dns couldn't be resolved. When the desktop is connected directly to the Eircom router everything is perfect. Atm the Whitebox is turned on and connected to the Eircom router as per the instructions but the 2 circle light continues to flash. I have the desktop connected to the Eircom router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

turn it on and off, same thing happened to me when I first plugged it in, rebooting it worked

jimmad wrote: »
    turn it on and off, same thing happened to me when I first plugged it in, rebooting it worked

I've tried rebooting it several times but that bloody light just keeps flashing and flashing. I can't see it on the network at all, it looks like the Eircom router isn't giving it an IP, most annoying. The router is bog standard i.e. All the settings are unchanged bar I turned off the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

hard reset maybe?

hard reset maybe?

Yea I think I'll turn it off, connect everything as it should be and do a hard reset. Will keep everyone posted.

hard reset maybe?
    Nothing seems to happen when I press the hard reset button I held it down for ages, no sign of it resetting. No internet with it in the network and that damn light keeps flashing and flashing....:mad::mad:

Is anyone finding it difficult to log in to their Eircom router? I find mine very hit and miss (mostly miss) the page greys out and the arrow just keeps spinning. I get best results using IE. My stats are in steady decline, download speeds have dropped from 48 to 40 my snr was 18 is now down to barely over 8, attainable rate has fallen from 87 to 44 very worrying.

Is anyone finding it difficult to log in to their Eircom router? I find mine very hit and miss (mostly miss) the page greys out and the arrow just keeps spinning. I get best results using IE. My stats are in steady decline, download speeds have dropped from 48 to 40 my snr was 18 is now down to barely over 8, attainable rate has fallen from 87 to 44 very worrying.

That would worry me if I were you, I checked my own stats and I am thankfully still on 100/20.

Why not give Eircom a ring and see what's going on?

That would worry me if I were you, I checked my own stats and I am thankfully still on 100/20.

Why not give Eircom a ring and see what's going on?

Eircom support are terrible, all they seem to understand is if I have a connection or not. Their attitude is, ah shur you have a connection whats your problem? Do you want eVision? Blah blah blah.

Eircom support are terrible, all they seem to understand is if I have a connection or not. Their attitude is, ah shur you have a connection whats your problem? Do you want eVision? Blah blah blah.

I agree that they are useless, but if you pester them they eventually sort it.

I had to ring them up 4 times in relation to a problem I had before they fixed it.

They do get things done, but unfortunately it's at their own leisure.

• Advertisement

I agree that they are useless, but if you pester them they eventually sort it.

I had to ring them up 4 times in relation to a problem I had before they fixed it.

They do get things done, but unfortunately it's at their own leisure.

1) If I could get one that I could understand it would help enormously.
    2 ) An agent who actually understood the router stats and stopped treating me like an idiot would also help.
    It's a wonder they didn't try to tell me my house was moving away from the cabinet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

after two months of waiting and absolute bollox from vodafone, from putting in a new line when one wasnt needed, to fudging up the original order for fiber and giving me adsl2+ (max speed 12mb) ive finally got fiber. anyone able tell me how to get my max rate?

3534678004.png
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s)50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s)15360
    Downstream SNR (dB) 13.6
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.3
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.9
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 1.7
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 105
    Upstream FEC 0

dazdrog wrote: »
    after two months of waiting and absolute bollox from vodafone, from putting in a new line when one wasnt needed, to fudging up the original order for fiber and giving me adsl2+ (max speed 12mb) ive finally got fiber. anyone able tell me how to get my max rate?

3534678004.png

got it sorted, will be ringing them tomorrow to get a bump up
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s)50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s)15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 65992
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 24093
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.6
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.9
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 1.7
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 1569
    Upstream FEC 0

What sort of Noise margin and line attenuation values are considered great (after vectoring has been considered)?

Thanks.

What sort of Noise margin and line attenuation values are considered great (after vectoring has been considered)?

Thanks.

generally the higher the better on the downstream = the more speed you should be able to get, with my snr sitting at 14.6 im hoping to get a boost to a 60/20 profile from my current 50/15

well fingers crossed i can, before vectoring i was with magnet and on a 50/20 profile with a snr as low as 6.0 and the line was fully stable giving me between 45-48mb download and 18-19mb upload

With snr the higher the better, attenuation the lower the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

Here's an interesting situation from my (modified) stats page the downstream rate is actually higher than the attainable rate! Any of you guys ever see that before? Seems strange to me.:confused:

Here's an interesting situation from my (modified) stats page the downstream rate is actually higher than the attainable rate! Any of you guys ever see that before? Seems strange to me.:confused:

Yep I had that for a while too. I just don't bother looking at the stats anymore. The router is so slow to do anything I've given up trying to access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's actually normal behavior with noise fluctuations, as long as its not disconnecting its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

3540318275.png

jp7h2tv.jpg

I've rang Vodafone a couple of times now asking if there's any reason why Speedtest results would be so low compared to sync speed and attainable rate...

I'm no more than 300m from the cab... should I be happy with in or around 55mb or should I be expecting more?

Previously i was on a 50/20 and getting ~47mb according to speedtest... they moved me to a rate adaptive profile so i assumed i'd get in or around the max rate again on that but it appears not to be the case...

And for the record I've never seen speedtest results above 60mb... usually they're in or around 50mb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Are you using Wifi? Dpeendiong on the wifi card you have, it coul dbe simply a wifi limitation.

I'd connect a laptop with a cable and retest

jp7h2tv.jpg

I've rang Vodafone a couple of times now asking if there's any reason why Speedtest results would be so low compared to sync speed and attainable rate...

I'm no more than 300m from the cab... should I be happy with in or around 55mb or should I be expecting more?

Previously i was on a 50/20 and getting ~47mb according to speedtest... they moved me to a rate adaptive profile so i assumed i'd get in or around the max rate again on that but it appears not to be the case...

And for the record I've never seen speedtest results above 60mb... usually they're in or around 50mb...[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I got it working:D. I got a free trial of eVision installed today but the poor installer couldn't get it to work for the life of him:( until, in an act of desperation he tried a new router and away it went:pac:. When he almost ran from the house I tried the whitebox and it connected straight away. Just got my automated email a minute ago. I never saw a Man as happy to leave a premises in my life, fair play he stuck it out until he got it sorted. The connection seems a lot faster too.

I got it working:D. I got a free trial of eVision installed today but the poor installer couldn't get it to work for the life of him:( until, in an act of desperation he tried a new router and away it went:pac:. When he almost ran from the house I tried the whitebox and it connected straight away. Just got my automated email a minute ago. I never saw a Man as happy to leave a premises in my life, fair play he stuck it out until he got it sorted. The connection seems a lot faster too.

Great news! Thanks for the update!
    Seen a load of KN Networks around Carlow today, so a lot more people are getting connected.
    I'd love to try eVision but I sync at 100 and don't really want to lose that, plus I'm on Vodafone so... :P

Anyone hazard a guess as to why my SNR is decreasing, and my attenuation increasing?

SNR has dropped 4+ and attenuation increased by same.

Great news! Thanks for the update!
    Seen a load of KN Networks around Carlow today, so a lot more people are getting connected.
    I'd love to try eVision but I sync at 100 and don't really want to lose that, plus I'm on Vodafone so... :P
    They took a good bit off my speed too from 50/20 to 34/20 but to be perfectly honest I can't say I've noticed. Since the new router was installed the connection seems to be getting quicker and quicker, only by accessing the router stats would I know that anything has changed. The eVision is very good and is performing faultlessly.

They took a good bit off my speed too from 50/20 to 34/20 but to be perfectly honest I can't say I've noticed. Since the new router was installed the connection seems to be getting quicker and quicker, only by accessing the router stats would I know that anything has changed. The eVision is very good and is performing faultlessly.

That's great news, definitely.

I wouldn't get eVision as my main TV service but I wouldn't consider getting it as a SaorView replacement.

Shame I've another 17 months left with Vodafone :P

How's the SamKnows box doing btw?

My downstream SNR has rose from 13.9 to 15.1.

Should I be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My downstream SNR has rose from 13.9 to 15.1.

Should I be worried?

Thats a GOOD thing. Once its above 9 you're doing just grand.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a GOOD thing. Once its above 9 you're doing just grand.

Is it? You sure?

Is it? You sure?

Higher the SNR, the better.

Mine is dropping, and the attenuation increasing for reasons I don't know...

I'm only 150m from the cab too. Frustrating....

Higher the SNR, the better.

Mine is dropping, and the attenuation increasing for reasons I don't know...

I'm only 150m from the cab too. Frustrating....

My modem hasn't rebooted yet but the SNR changed?

I know it won't effect my 100/20 speed but maybe I should reboot it and see do the attainable change?

• Advertisement
Advertisement