Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VDSL Stats - Whats yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it? You sure?

Yep. 0dB means that the signals and noise are the same level. Think of it like two speakers in the same room. One for music and one with white noise. 0dB they're the same volume, +3dB and the music is twice as loud as the white noise. +6db and its 4x as loud as the white noise. +9db is 8x... So for you at 15dB that means you have 32x louder music than white noise. Pretty easy to hear the music, or in this case the binary bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

My modem hasn't rebooted yet but the SNR changed?

I know it won't effect my 100/20 speed but maybe I should reboot it and see do the attainable change?

I'd reboot it and have a look at the new attainable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    Yep. 0dB means that the signals and noise are the same level. Think of it like two speakers in the same room. One for music and one with white noise. 0dB they're the same volume, +3dB and the music is twice as loud as the white noise. +6db and its 4x as loud as the white noise. +9db is 8x... So for you at 15dB that means you have 32x louder music than white noise. Pretty easy to hear the music, or in this case the binary bits.

Ah that makes sense.

Thanks! :)

My modem hasn't rebooted yet but the SNR changed?

I know it won't effect my 100/20 speed but maybe I should reboot it and see do the attainable change?

Attainables and SNRs are fluid. They wont stay the same. Your router is just doing estimations on the line. As long as you dont see wild moves you'll be fine.

Attenuation will change a little too depending on tones, also its just a guesstimate. People on this thread need to realize that small fluctuations are nothing and to ignore em.

Attainables and SNRs are fluid. They wont stay the same. Your router is just doing estimations on the line. As long as you dont see wild moves you'll be fine.

Attenuation will change a little too depending on tones, also its just a guesstimate. People on this thread need to realize that small fluctuations are nothing and to ignore em.
    I remember having an attenuation of 20.1 or 21.1 something along those lines and then it jumped to 35 with Sky and now its 7.3 with Vodafone!

Those are extreme jumps I know but I remember seeing them :P

I remember having an attenuation of 20.1 or 21.1 something along those lines and then it jumped to 35 with Sky and now its 7.3 with Vodafone!

Those are extreme jumps I know but I remember seeing them :P

Thats DSL and then VDSL, you CANT compare them. The local loop is way shorter.

Thats DSL and then VDSL, you CANT compare them. The local loop is way shorter.

Yeah you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's great news, definitely.

I wouldn't get eVision as my main TV service but I wouldn't consider getting it as a SaorView replacement.

Shame I've another 17 months left with Vodafone :P

How's the SamKnows box doing btw?

No I wouldn't either I took it on out of curiosity because it's free. I'm perfectly happy with sky as my TV provider much better selection of channels and I have the ITV's ;);). Nothing to report from the samknows box yet probably some info available tomorrow.

jca wrote: »
    No I wouldn't either I took it on out of curiosity because it's free. I'm perfectly happy with sky as my TV provider much better selection of channels and I have the ITV's ;);). Nothing to report from the samknows box yet probably some info available tomorrow.

Something to note though, although I filled out 100Mb as my connection speed when I signed up when I log it it says my package is 70×20.

Just something to note for the reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

After running cat 6 cable from router to my desktop...

3542787554.png

cDZDqno.jpg

200mb powerline adapters seem to be maxing out at about 60mb... 500mb ones aren't fairing much better so that was my 'problem'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Could be the quality of the copper slowing it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Could be the quality of the copper slowing it down.

it's possible... although house is less than 10 years old so i should hope not! either way, decided to stick to cat 6 and free up some power sockets... plus i know i'm guaranteed max speed and don't have to troubleshoot powerline problems...

a couple of months ago i was having massive problems with my home network and turns out neighbour was using the same powerline adapters but only switching them on and off at certain times... so when he'd switch them on, my desktop would sync with his router...

so renaming / security the network helped solve that problem but had me stumped for days until i realised i could access their router..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

rang vodafone yesterday and again today as i never received the promised call back about changing my profile and im being told they are waiting on eircom to sort it, that the cab is coming back as locked to 50/15. strange that as a few months ago i had this from magnet on the same line

Line Rate (Down / Up) 50174 Kbps / 20478 Kbps
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 9.3 dB / 9.1 dB
    Attenuation (Down / Up) 14.2 dB / 5.2 dB
    Power (Down / Up) 12.4 dBm / 1.6 dBm

that was before vectoring, and these are my stats now im with vodafone with vectoring enabled on the cab

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 65980
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 23621
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.5
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.9
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 1.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

309812.png

I am enjoying my 70/20 speeds, superb ping and reliable connection. I do have to reboot the router every so often. It's only a small problem. I'm still looking forward to q4 for system level vectoring to be enabled! So I can hopefully get 100m/bit :)

Also I hope Eircom eventually allow a boost in upload speed. 25m/bit + looks doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm still looking forward to q4 for system level vectoring to be enabled! So I can hopefully get 100m/bit :)

What's systems level vectoring ? What do we actually have now if it's not full vectoring ?

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    What's systems level vectoring ? What do we actually have now if it's not full vectoring ?

Some of the larger cabinets like mine unfortunately will have to be system vectored as opposed to standard vectoring the normal sized cabinets have now. I reckon there could be 300 or more premises wired into the cabinet I'm on.

Praetorian wrote: »
    309812.png

I am enjoying my 70/20 speeds, superb ping and reliable connection. I do have to reboot the router every so often. It's only a small problem. I'm still looking forward to q4 for system level vectoring to be enabled! So I can hopefully get 100m/bit :)

Also I hope Eircom eventually allow a boost in upload speed. 25m/bit + looks doable.

Nice speeds!

Really hope Eircom allow for faster upload speeds

My attainable up has been 28Mb for a while now although it does fluctuate.

25Mb upload would be amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

3546735824.png

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Has any non UPC customer hit the magic 100 Mb/s yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭halkar

How do you guys get to see attainable speed on voda routers? I can't see on mine. I use the admin account. Do I need to use another account?

• Advertisement

How are people getting 90?

I thought Eircom/VFone have capped everyone at 70?

How are people getting 90?

I thought Eircom/VFone have capped everyone at 70?

Vectoring.

Vectoring.

So one would assume that at less than 200m, and still only getting 70/20 that vectoring has yet to be enabled. correct?

So one would assume that at less than 200m, and still only getting 70/20 that vectoring has yet to be enabled. correct?

Post your stats. One should see a dramatic increase in Downstream SNR (dB) when vectoring in enabled.

You should also use Mozilla Firefox to view your Upstream and Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s).

1. Access your router's configuration page
    2. Click on Wan under Status
    3. Click on VDSL
    4. Right-click and select "inspect element"
    You should see this page below. Keep unticking every box where is says style="display:none"></tr> until you see your attainable data rates.

2z4xzjq.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

poor enough results considering I'm only 200m from the cabinet

3547160929.png

309912.png

Attenuation is way high, either you arent connected the cab you think you are OR there is a fault.

Mostly likely a fault because his upload speed is good.

@Foggy Lad, find your attainables like I instructed in my previous post. It will help us figure out if there's a fault.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    poor enough results considering I'm only 200m from the cabinet

3547160929.png

309912.png
    Your attenuation is way too high to ever have a stable connection.

here it is with every hidden value uncovered

309919.png

here it is with every hidden value uncovered

309919.png
    How are your attainable lower than what you're actually syncing at?

I haven't a clue how to help so ima just let the experts here help.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement

Attenuation is way high, either you arent connected the cab you think you are OR there is a fault.

I'm connected to a cabinet that is 16 semi detached houses away which is quite close really as the houses are built on top of each other:D

For anyone that might know about this stuff and faults etc, if the socket back plate(the fibre socket was installed/attached over the original eircom back plate) was faulty and did not give a good solid connection would that affect the speeds?

I'm connected to a cabinet that is 16 semi detached houses away which is quite close really as the houses are built on top of each other:D

That's quite remarkable.

I'm sort of the same. I'm closer to the cabinet than a lot of people on here, yet I still have higher attenuation, lower SNR values and lower speeds.

Strange indeed - I'd say you've a fault. 44dB is WAY TOO HIGH.

For anyone that might know about this stuff and faults etc, if the socket back plate(the fibre socket was installed/attached over the original eircom back plate) was faulty and did not give a good solid connection would that affect the speeds?

Then its pretty clear, either your line was in crap condition already and wasnt noticed, OR the contractor botched the installation.

One thing you could try is connecting direct to the drop to test. On the front of the NTU(socket) there are two screws, if you remove them the front plate will pull out and expose the jack for a direct connection to the drop. Plug the DSL cable from your modem into that and check the stats. If theyre much better, then its the faceplate wiring or the internal cabling in your home. If not, its between yourself and the cab.

If you arent bothered with that just call your provider and wait for the techs to come back.

EDIT:
    Pics here for reference http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/136911/Irish_telephone_connectors.html

Convinced now that the socket/installation is faulty, just went and pushed against the socket gently as the internet light was blinking when it should have been solid, lost the link completely and was gone for several minutes. it's just back now and line stats have slightly changed

309921.png

Then its pretty clear, either your line was in crap condition already and wasnt noticed, OR the contractor botched the installation.

One thing you could try is connecting direct to the drop to test. On the front of the NTU(socket) there are two screws, if you remove them the front plate will pull out and expose the jack for a direct connection to the drop. Plug the DSL cable from your modem into that and check the stats. If theyre much better, then its the faceplate wiring or the internal cabling in your home. If not, its between yourself and the cab.

If you arent bothered with that just call your provider and wait for the techs to come back.

EDIT:
    Pics here for reference http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/136911/Irish_telephone_connectors.html

The new socket was placed over the old eircom socket afaik but I told the guy that the eircom socket was faulty, maybe he thought I meant just the cover part but the back part with that "drop jack" is the problem, The plugs dont sit into it properly without being pressed upwards towards the little wire pins. installer told me he had changed the socket.

Convinced now that the socket/installation is faulty, just went and pushed against the socket gently as the internet light was blinking when it should have been solid, lost the link completely and was gone for several minutes. it's just back now and line stats have slightly changed

309921.png

There has to be a serious error somewhere along the line as you've been connected less than 30 seconds and there's already several thousand errors.

I'd get Vodafone to look at that asap.

Clearly a fault somewhere on your line.

The new socket was placed over the old eircom socket afaik but I told the guy that the eircom socket was faulty, maybe he thought I meant just the cover part but the back part with that "drop jack" is the problem, The plugs dont sit into it properly without being pressed upwards towards the little wire pins. installer told me he had changed the socket.

So the engineer simply put the new faceplate over the old one instead of replacing it?

When mine was installed the engineer removed off the old faceplate and replaced it with the new one which is a lot more chunkier.

So the engineer simply put the new faceplate over the old one instead of replacing it?

When mine was installed the engineer removed off the old faceplate and replaced it with the new one which is a lot more chunkier.
    The normal eircom socket is made up of the back plate and then the piece that slides onto the front that you connect the modem to, as far as I was told the whole thing was replaced but if not then there will be a problem because the back part of that socket was faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Yesterday I had:

309930.PNG

Today I get:

309931.PNG

I don't have a proper hardwired speedtest result yet but am getting 60/19 on wireless (compares to 48/14 on wireless yesterday)

:D

• Advertisement

Codpeas wrote: »
    Yesterday I had:

309930.PNG

Today I get:

309931.PNG

I don't have a proper hardwired speedtest result yet but am getting 60/19 on wireless (compares to 48/14 on wireless yesterday)

I didn't think you could fit a house inside one of the cabinets :pac::pac:

Yesterday I had:

309930.PNG

Today I get:

309931.PNG

You left your router on for 50 days straight?

Jesus Christ! Lol

That's some improvement, Vectoring definitely enabled where you are then.

Yesterday I had:

309930.PNG

Are you aware that you probably could have gotten 70/20 before vectoring was enabled? It seems they put you a 50/15 when you first signed up.

Doesn't matter now because your stats are up there with the best on this thread.

You left your router on for 50 days straight?

Jesus Christ! Lol

That's some improvement, Vectoring definitely enabled where you are then.

Actually that uptime figure is bogus - I have a screenshot from a week ago with the same figures. The main "System Uptime" figure was at 216 days yesterday. :eek:

Are you aware that you probably could have gotten 70/20 before vectoring was enabled? It seems they put you a 50/15 when you first signed up.

Yeah, but at the time they were charging more for the 70/20 (I think) and I wasn't too pushed - was coming from 5Mb/512k so was happy enough.

I reckon Eircom's spidey senses were tingling - was only yesterday I said to the missus that she should ring them up and get us switched up - came home today and it was done - without anyone talking to Eircom...

I didn't think you could fit a house inside one of the cabinets :pac::pac:

Apologies to all - I'll multiquote next time.

My situation is quite nice - the old distribution cab is embedded in my garden wall with fibre cab 3m from it.

• Advertisement

Actually that uptime figure is bogus - I have a screenshot from a week ago with the same figures. The main "System Uptime" figure was at 216 days yesterday. :eek:

Oh wow, that should probably be reported :p

Mine has been on for 24 days now and I think it's due a reboot at this stage :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It can happen most definitely that you aren't on the cabinet you think you are on! I promised my brother great speeds when I saw a cabinet being placed 100 metres from his house, yet he is actually connected to a cabinet 3 roads away half way across the town. He was only getting 15m/bit until I insisted they boost the speeds, now he's getting 23m/bit (all without vectoring). It's a far cry from the 70m/bit I promised him though! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

These were the stats I was getting last year when I got Eircom eFibre 15/50 package installed. I was pretty happy with those attainables...

310028.jpg

But then a couple of months ago my attainables seemed to have dropped big time. At the same time this happened my pings also dropped, I now get a solid 6ms to google.ie and 15ms to google.co.uk. Entering my phone number on the Eircom site tells me my max available is 50Mb. Then another change happened just last week, my upload went from 15 to 20 so I thought vectoring had been enabled but nothing else changed, download still at 50 and attainables still at 70 down from 98!

Has anyone any idea what might be going on? Does it look like vectoring is enabled at my cab, will my connection/attainables ever reach that magical 98Mb again?

310029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noobizme

Hey guys, I'm very new to all this VDSL stuff, and am just looking for a helping hand understanding my stats.

Distance from cab : Around 430 metres, using the Ireland Offline map that calculates distances along sidewalks where cables usually lie.

My paltry Magnet router has only this to show to me :
    2.1 Type VDSL
    2.2 Status Up
    2.2 Uptime 4 days 15 hours 9 mins 35 secs
    2.3 Line Rate (Down / Up) 40960 Kbps / 10239 Kbps
    2.4 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 16.4 dB / 15.3 dB
    2.5 Attenuation (Down / Up) 16.6 dB / 6.3 dB
    2.6 Power (Down / Up) 12.1 dBm / 8.9 dBm

I've looked low and high, even telnet'd into it to see if there are any other stats, but unfortunately all I managed to do was accidentally make a backup of its' firmware to its' second internal memory slot.

So my question is, how am I faring? At 45 euro a month, it's a bit of an expensive pill, especially with Vodafone sitting pretty at 35 euro a month. Am I getting what I should be getting, in terms of speeds? I average at around 35 Mb/s down and 9 up on speedtests and torrenting.

noobizme wrote: »
    Stats

Your SNRs are the tell tale factor. With 15 and 16db(16 is down which matters more) you have room to improve. 45 should be ok and 50 might work. Call magnet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement