Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly water !!!

Options
  • 15-06-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Am living in the Kilcohan area and my tap water is rank the last few days. anyone else with this issue around the City ? even the shower water smells, boiling the kettle and the smell is all over the kitchen. kinda like a moss/algae smell ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I thought it was just me, am in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

:/ strange isnt it ! can't enjoy a cupa ;) might make a phone call to the corporation monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Is it the Tap water in the Kitchen or the water used for upstairs? I know the tank in the attic when its sitting can get smelly in the heat of summer. Dont waste your time calling WCC, youll get someone come out and say Ah sure its grand begorah begorah, I had someone do the same, they hadnt even got into the house on their way up my drive and they were like this oh sure im sure its grand.

all taps ! kitchen sink and upstairs ! will have to get it tested if its still the same next week, it's not as if we're in a drought or a hot spell !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Same here out the williamstown road .there is a smell of muck of the water.had to go to lidl to stock up on bottle water. And I hate to think when the water charges come in how much we will pay for smelly water.

• Advertisement

Was thinking the very same Moans, am not paying for smell undrinkable water either !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Markyw

I had it in tramore the weekend...playing a waterfight with the kids and noticed the smell...checked water and it looked dusty....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Live in Ballybricken, been getting that algae smell past 2 weeks from tap water, tea smells terrible. Can't taste any difference, after seeing this thread now it has me wondering is it safe to be drinking.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Live in Ballybricken, been getting that algae smell past 2 weeks from tap water, tea smells terrible. Can't taste any difference, after seeing this thread now it has me wondering is it safe to be drinking.

Not to mention the fluoride in it!:P What i think we should all be looking into is getting a reverse osmossis filter.

The problems i would say is there are so many leaks in the supply you cant be sure whats getting into the flow of the water, I saw a startistic there awhile ago that half of the water supplied to homes is lost by leaking pipes on the way to the home. so if theres holes in the pipes whos to say that there isnt dirt or polution getting into our water supply. Its bound to happen, I wouldnt drink tap water just bottled water.

Lets hope if we begin to pay for the water that this problems are all sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Lets hope if we begin to pay for the water that this problems are all sorted

I wouldn't count on that.....look what happened over in the uk when they privatised the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Markyw wrote: »
    I had it in tramore the weekend...playing a waterfight with the kids and noticed the smell...checked water and it looked dusty....

The water in Tramore goes brown without warning a lot. It's like tea coming out of the tap, and you have to run it for ages before it clears. At other times there's a terrible smell of chlorine off of it. And we're going to be expected to pay for this?:mad:

73Cat wrote: »
    The water in Tramore goes brown without warning a lot. It's like tea coming out of the tap, and you have to run it for ages before it clears. At other times there's a terrible smell of chlorine off of it. And we're going to be expected to pay for this?:mad:

This cannot be healthy for consumption, i mean really? Chlorine? Fluoride? and then not to mention all the other crap that goes into between the plant and your tap. I was speaking to a person who was involved in QA in a bottled water company and she told me that some bottled waters can be worse, and even though youd expect the water to be better the more you pay for its not the case, they use more chemicals to clean the equipment and purify the water.

It really is a case of hoping for the best.

I'm going in to query it tomorrow and see can i get a water test done , something not right if the water is affected in all the different areas mentioned above ! I do remember this happened few years back one summer, ( prob 4 years ago), and when i rang about it they said the reservoirs where dryin up and that was causing the smell + taste ? but sure with the rain we have the last few days they can hardly blame that !
    I'm sticking to bottled water, not chancing drinking from tap :/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

I wouldn't count on that.....look what happened over in the uk when they privatised the water.
    What did happen??

Marymoll wrote: »
    I'm going in to query it tomorrow and see can i get a water test done , something not right if the water is affected in all the different areas mentioned above ! I do remember this happened few years back one summer, ( prob 4 years ago), and when i rang about it they said the reservoirs where dryin up and that was causing the smell + taste ? but sure with the rain we have the last few days they can hardly blame that !
    I'm sticking to bottled water, not chancing drinking from tap :/

I would urge you to go onto facebook and look for the page of The Girl Against Fluoride, If you dont agree with the Fluoride debate thats fine, they also talk about what is the best bottled water to drink and what you can do to your water to treat it at home, like a reverse osmossis filter which will kill any nasties and remove most impurants in the water, it cant hurt to look, you may be surprised at what you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I would urge you to go onto facebook and look for the page of The Girl Against Fluoride, If you dont agree with the Fluoride debate thats fine, they also talk about what is the best bottled water to drink and what you can do to your water to treat it at home, like a reverse osmossis filter which will kill any nasties and remove most impurants in the water, it cant hurt to look, you may be surprised at what you read.

Wasn't there a whole thread on this flouride crap which descended into a farce?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bobafettucine

kensutz wrote: »

It has to not be a farce, to start with, in order to descend into one. :)

Rang the council , got put on hold, passed to another dept, and on hold some more while i was being put through to someone, had to hang up after a while didnt have that much credit :(
    In saying that, the water seemed 'ok' today and not too smelly !

kensutz wrote: »

Yes there was.

Thats not to say theres something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Does anyone else find that a lot of the time, the clothes coming out of the machine don't smell nice? I changed my machine about a year ago, it was old and on it's way out anyway. I thought the smell off the clothes was something to do with this. Anyway there's no difference with the new machine, a lot of the time the clothes smell like I've used no detergent or fabric conditioner:(
    At this stage, given the state of the water coming out of the cold tap at times, I'm beginning to think it must be down to the water?

• Advertisement

Had this issue with my washing machine for months last year ! i was putting it down the a water build up somewhere in the machine. got stuff to clean the machine and was ok, had to do it a few times to rid of the smell fully and also empty the pipes ect..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Didn't notice any smell from my water lately and I'm down the road from you in Greenfields. I drink a lot of water but use a Britta filter so maybe that's it but didn't notice a smell from the taps of anything upstairs either.

Seems to have cleared up a lot over the last week, but hey, if it happens again i'll pop over and fill me kettle up :p

Advertisement