Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Applied Maths as an extra subject - where to start?

• 15-06-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi! I'm just after finishing fourth year and have decided to take up applied maths as an eight subject as my school don't offer it. I have bought Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy but was just wondering what question to start with? Also wondering which questions people would advise covering for the exam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Q10 is nice because you cover many of the basics in regular maths, so there isn't as much of a step up as there is in other questions on the course. I would advise leaving that until you've covered calculus in maths though, makes it so much easier!

Are you doing physics? Some of the questions in applied maths draw on stuff you'll cover in physics (though not a whole lot, tbh, there's a massive difference in the standard between physics mechanics and applied maths!) so it might make getting your head around the concepts easier in that regard. Q1 & 4 are two that this applies to, 1 more so than 4. Most people cover 1,2,3,4,5,10 I think, though I'm sure someone more experienced than I will clarify that. I personally am trying to go for 1,2,3,4,8,10 but only due to time constraints.

Part (a) of Q8 is a theorem (there's 3 in total you have to learn for it, as far as I know), which is guaranteed marks if you know them, I think. Might be an option if you find yourself struggling with another question and want to secure some easy marks for yourself.

EDIT: I probably should clarify here.
    Q1 Uniform Acceleration
    Q2 Rel Velocity
    Q3 Projectiles
    Q4 Pulleys/Wedges
    Q5 Collisions & Impacts
    Q6 Circular Motion & SHM
    Q7 Statics
    Q8 Moments of Inertia
    Q9 Hydrostatics
    Q10 Differential Eq's

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dugster17

Q10 is nice because you cover many of the basics in regular maths, so there isn't as much of a step up as there is in other questions on the course. I would advise leaving that until you've covered calculus in maths though, makes it so much easier!

Are you doing physics? Some of the questions in applied maths draw on stuff you'll cover in physics (though not a whole lot, tbh, there's a massive difference in the standard between physics mechanics and applied maths!) so it might make getting your head around the concepts easier in that regard. Q1 & 4 are two that this applies to, 1 more so than 4. Most people cover 1,2,3,4,5,10 I think, though I'm sure someone more experienced than I will clarify that. I personally am trying to go for 1,2,3,4,8,10 but only due to time constraints.

Part (a) of Q8 is a theorem (there's 3 in total you have to learn for it, as far as I know), which is guaranteed marks if you know them, I think. Might be an option if you find yourself struggling with another question and want to secure some easy marks for yourself.

Q1 Uniform Acceleration
    Q2 Rel Velocity
    Q3 Projectiles
    Q4 Pulleys/Wedges
    Q5 Collisions & Impacts
    Q6 Circular Motion & SHM
    Q7 Statics
    Q8 Moments of Inertia
    Q9 Hydrostatics
    Q10 Differential Eq's

Thanks so much for the advice :) yep I am doing Physics but won't be starting until September! I did taster classes offered in our school in both Physics and Applied Maths during TY but it being TY, we didn't cover much! I was hoping to get started on Applied Maths now, to get it finished earlier so that I will have time to focus on my other seven subjects as my school is totally against doing an eighth subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

I was in the same boat as you. I started by doing every question in the vector chapter, which was the first chapter if I recall correctly, because it is a very important concept for many chapters. After you have done that, I would begin doing Q1 - Accerated Linear Motion which is the next chapter. It gives you a real feel for the way one must think to do the subject, but DO NOT get bogged down by its difficulty at first! You will learn how to solve the problems over time. Initially, I did Q 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, as does the majority of people, and then did Q6 and Q8. I would advise going through the topics in that order too. For the exam, I intended on doing Q 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 but couldnt do a part of Q6 so I had to resort to Q1, which, if I may add, should never be the first question you do in the exam. It is vital that you cover more than the minimum 6 questions because you will encounter an oddball in the exam and its not worth the risk, especially when there is such a small difference between each grade. However, I have heard that Q9- Hydrostatics is a very easy topic to cover and is generally the easiest question to answer on the paper as no one teaches it and subsequently, very few people go out of their way to learn it. I would have done it had I not thought the eight questions I already covered was not enough, however. You can try Q7 - Statics but I have come to the conclusion that it is either hit or miss - you either get it or you don't.

But on thing you should always bear in mind is that the key to success in this subject is doing questions, and alot of them at that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Q1 Uniform Acceleration
    Q2 Rel Velocity
    Q3 Projectiles
    Q4 Pulleys/Wedges
    Q5 Collisions & Impacts

Q6 Circular Motion & SHM
    Q7 Statics
    Q8 Moments of Inertia
    Q9 Hydrostatics
    Q10 Differential Eq's

My advice, cover the bolds. Learning only six questions is silly, as question one can require a leap in logic which you may not notice, and thus, be sitting around for hours unsure what to do.

If you really want to do more after that, do circular motion or Hydrostatics, they gets bad rep, but do enough questions and they make sense.

Statics is a tricky one, as everyone thinks it's easy enough, then they give a horrendous question, and you're stuffed.

Just do every question, every exam paper, and you'll be fine

Order to cover them in probably;

Pre) Vectors
    Linear Motion
    Projectiles
    Pulleys/Wedges
    Collisions
    Relative velocity
    Then Differentials if you've covered differentiation in class by then
    Then inertia

Tweej wrote: »
    My advice, cover the bolds. Learning only six questions is silly, as question one can require a leap in logic which you may not notice, and thus, be sitting around for hours unsure what to do.

If you really want to do more after that, do circular motion or Hydrostatics, they gets bad rep, but do enough questions and they make sense.

Statics is a tricky one, as everyone thinks it's easy enough, then they give a horrendous question, and you're stuffed.

Pre) Vectors
    Linear Motion
    Projectiles
    Pulleys/Wedges
    Collisions
    Relative velocity
    Then inertia

Thanks for the advice! I've started doing vectors using Fundamental A

• Advertisement

Tweej wrote: »

Pre) Vectors
    Linear Motion
    Projectiles
    Pulleys/Wedges
    Collisions
    Relative velocity
    Then inertia

Thanks for the advice! I've started doing vectors using Fundamental Applied Maths and it seems to be going well so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jmillz

I'm answering 3,4,5,6,8 and 10 For definite this year i might also answer realtive or linear depending on the questions that come up! You have 2 years to practise six questions so really its not too tasking! I'm planning on securing the A1 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

My teacher didn't teach Hydrostatics! He said it's very difficult

I took some grinds and the tutor also said it's agreed as the most difficult Q!
    So if I were you I wouldn't go for it.

Any way , it really depends on what you like

I'm going to take moment of Inertia while my friend will choose statics so I'll give the general Information

Definitely do projectiles, Dynamics, and collision

The reason is they repeat themselves,if you know the basics you'll be grand
    Although collisions is along one

Linear motion deals with basics things from physics, almost everyone takes it
    But it's one of the Q you need to keep an eye on it , very tricky in some cases

Differential Eqs, nice Q , they've made changes so no will know how this year's exam will be, last year this particular Q let people down!

Relative V, I personally won't choose it
    But some people like this kind of Q and it became nicer in recent years
    It require Geometry.

Statics is similar to dynamics but much harder, and very long,

Moment of inertia is the nicest among all
    Proof 20 marks and some work on PE and KE and you're done:)

But be carful, don't underestimate the subject, keep practising past Q every week in you last year it's vital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Dugster17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I've started doing vectors using Fundamental A

That book will get you everything. My tip, every so often, when you don't understand a question, organise a fortnightly hour with a physics teacher, and show him/her the questions you're stuck on.

They should be able to show you, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

many teachers do it outside school hours and for a set fee and allow other schools to join
    check out locals schools near by you or your school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement