Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Olympiad ...

Options
  • 15-06-2013 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Just did some research ... you need to get an A in science and maths higher level to get the chance to be "invited" to the Irish Team. I really hope I get an A in maths(very unlikely!) because this sounds like great craic! :pac: If I knew about this before the Junior Cert ... I would of worked harder on maths ;). Ah well, is anyone looking to do this Science Olympiad thing?

http://www.euso.dcu.ie/ireuso/participants.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

To be honest, even if I got an A in Science and Maths (and it makes me hurt that I can say I could have with more effort), I don't think I would be interested. I'm not entirely intelligent. I'll just stick to simple tasks for a simple person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Can you please explain to me what this is about? And what does it mean to the people whose names are on the list, like is it top Junior Cert results or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

If you get an A in Maths & Science, and are in the upper set of those bunch, you get invited to take a test in DCU to get a place on the team, at least that's how it was back in my day.

6 places, 3 reserves.

The test is on the three sciences, so even if you're a whizz at Physics, you're still going to need Chemistry/Biology

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Arnie you have stolen my idea I hope to be there. You have to get 6 As including Maths and Science and I think You can apply or get invited to the science Olympiad. You can pick 1 Science subject you want to be tested at at LC ordinary level but I am doing Biology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Arnie you have stolen my idea I hope to be there. You have to get 6 As including Maths and Science and I think You can apply or get invited to the science Olympiad. You can pick 1 Science subject you want to be tested at at LC ordinary level but I am doing Biology...
    You gave me the idea ;). Getting 6 As won't be that hard ... maybe I already got 6 As but an A in maths is a tough call :D. How the hell do they expect you to know Leaving Cert syllabus? :eek:

• Advertisement

You gave me the idea ;). Getting 6 As won't be that hard ... maybe I already got 6 As but an A in maths is a tough call :D. How the hell do they expect you to know Leaving Cert syllabus? :eek:

Well they expect you to know your chosen subject to at least pass LC level from Physics,Chemistry and Biology.;)

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Well they expect you to know your chosen subject to at least pass LC level from Physics,Chemistry and Biology.;)
    I better start studying! :eek:

Calm down you better have selection for the 6As or you might feel discouraged after your effort.

Wait so if i get 6 A's including an A in science and maths, I can also apply for this?

And what does it mean if I apply?

sotisme wrote: »
    Wait so if i get 6 A's including an A in science and maths, I can also apply for this?

And what does it mean if I apply?
    You can't apply. Once you meet the requirements(Junior Cert results), the SEC will inform the leader of the Irish Team in the Science Olympiad, then they will send a letter to your school principle, and he/she will give it to you. Then you either accept or don't accept the invite. :p

• Advertisement

You can't apply. Once you meet the requirements(Junior Cert results), the SEC will inform the leader of the Irish Team in the Science Olympiad, then they will send a letter to your school principle, and he/she will give it to you. Then you either accept or don't accept the invite. :p

Thanks! And are the requirements simply 6 A's (incl science & maths) or what other requirements have to be met?

sotisme wrote: »
    Thanks! And are the requirements simply 6 A's (incl science & maths) or what other requirements have to be met?
    I think it's only an A in science and maths, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

It's definitely more than 6 Higher As including Maths and Science, cos I wasn't by a long shot the only person in my year to get that, but I was the only one to get the Olympiad. I believe the SEC can see the percentages you got and they notify the organisers with identified high achievers, but they don't actually pass on the specific grades you got. The only way you know you've qualified is if they send you the invite.

Plus depending on your age, there are two competitions you can be invited to take part in. The IrJSO is the one with all three sciences in one, and it'll only be for those born in 1998 or later, this year I believe. The IrEUSO will be for people born in 1997 or later, that is the one I did, and it's split into Biology, Chemistry and Physics, of which you choose one. If you do IrJSO this year, you can do IrEUSO next year too. The tests are pretty hard but you don't need to get 100% to win it - you just have to do better than everyone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

As far as I remember from the people that got it in my school it wasn't just that you had to get an A in Science and Maths but that you had to be on the upper end of the A scale! Also from friends who did it the stuff examined isn't really stuff on the JC course, its more advanced and challanging, some of it may be leaving cert standard and bits of general science knowledge that would come under the three sections! I went for the Chemistry Olympiad this year in leaving cert and the majority was stuff I'd never seen before and was college standard so I assume it would be the same for this, they'd be asking questions above your current level

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

anyone know what should i study and the type of question(give some example)........i have the exam 1 week after..
    any help apprciated

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

I WON A BRONZE MEDAL AFTER READING ALL THIS

Advertisement