Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes for the vertically challenged

• 15-06-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Finding it very frustrating at the moment to find a bike. Had my heart set on a yamaha yzf r125 but when i went to look at one the other day, my feet wouldn't even thouch the ground. Thought a kawasaki ninja 250 was a bit better but I'm still on tippy toes so if I got one of these I'd have to get it lowered (extra cost not ideal).

Could anyone recommend a 125/250 for someone around 5ft1 were the height wouldn't be such an issue?

I'm not looking for a cruiser so that can bw ruled out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bambera wrote: »
    Finding it very frustrating at the moment to find a bike. Had my heart set on a yamaha yzf r125 but when i went to look at one the other day, my feet wouldn't even thouch the ground. Thought a kawasaki ninja 250 was a bit better but I'm still on tippy toes so if I got one of these I'd have to get it lowered (extra cost not ideal).

Could anyone recommend a 125/250 for someone around 5ft1 were the height wouldn't be such an issue?

CBR 250 or 400 bike perhaps?

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/cbr-250rr-mc-22/5158093

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

paddy147 wrote: »

Dont think the seat height on them would be any lower than the ninja at 775 mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Robbed from elsewhere:

Have a look at this link first: http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html

Sport Bikes:

Suzuki GSX 650F, seat height 30.3 inches
    Suzuki Gladius, seat height 30.9 inches.
    Suzuki SV650, seat height 31.5 inches
    Suzuki GS500, seat height 31.1 inches

Kawasaki Ninja 250 (98-07') seat height 29.3
    Kawasaki Ninja 250R (08'-up), seat height 30.5
    Kawasaki Ninja 500, seat height 30.5
    Kawasaki ER-6n 650, seat height 30.9
    Kawasaki Ninja 650, seat height 31.1

Yamaha FZ6r, Seat height 30.9
    Yamaha YZF600r, seat height 31.7

Honda CBR600F4i, seat height 31.7

Standards:

BMW offers either "factory lowered" bikes or "lower seats" for some of their bikes:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
    Click on customize your seat height.

Factory lowered BMW F650GSl, seat height 29.6
    The standard Bmw F650GS, seat height 30.7

Triumph Bonneville SE has a seat height of less than 30"

Honda Nighthawk CB250, Seat height 29.3
    Honda Nighthawk CB750, Seat height 30.9

Buell XB12Scg Lightning Low with a seat height of 28.6
    Buell Blast 492, Seat height 25.5 - 27.5 (two diff. seats to chose from)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

What height are you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Thanks Guys.

Im a newbie so i don't want to start off on anything to big so nothing above 250 would suit.

Im 5ft1. and wouldn't be able to handle the weight of anything to heavy should i loose my footing at the lights.

Appreciating all the suggestions though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks Guys.

Im a newbie so i don't want to start off on anything to big so nothing above 250 would suit.

Im 5ft1. and wouldn't be able to handle the weight of anything to heavy should i loose my footing at the lights.

Appreciating all the suggestions though!

Ninja 250 is very light and short. Surprised you find it tricky...

You don't need to be able to put both feet fully down on the ground, although it is nice if you can.

You could try softening the suspension slightly too, at 5 foot 1, you might be fairly light too...

I'm short myself (5 foot 6 or 7), my Tiger 800 is a bit intimidating, but the Ninja is more than perfect for me, so I assume someone a bit shorter such as yourself would be okay too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

check out cycle-ergo.com - its primarily for seeing body position, but seems to list seat height against all the bikes too

note seat height isnt everything- some bikes are narrower then others, so they can get away with being taller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Pipz has one of them and got it lowered. Drop her a PM for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Might not be a bad shout to get a cruiser just for a while. Once you're more confident on it it won't be as big a deal if you can't get your feet flat. Even just for 6 months, buy it cheap and sell it on for the same money.

My mum had the same problem and started on a rebel. She was going to get a hornet after that but hasn't got around to it yet.

My girlfriend is shorter than you and reckons she wants a ducati monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'm 5'3 and when I started looking for a road bike I had the same issues as you, but to be honest, there aren't a lot of options when you rule out cruisers. I bought the yzf r125 because I loved it, but aside from that it is one of the smallest bikes out at the moment. Even so I was on my tippy toes, so I did have to buy the lowering kit for it, but that only cost 40 euro and is very easy to install yourself. Lowered the bike about 30mm, which was enough for me to be able to get my feet down.

Tried out a 250 ninja a few weeks ago and that was actually lower than the r125, so that would probably be a better option. Again the lowering kit is only around 50 euro, so it's not really that pricey.

Honda's CB250 is around the same height as the Ninja, so same options there.

Realistically speaking though, you are looking at having to get the bike lowered, but as I said above, the lowering kits arent actually that expensive and are easy to install. Just remember if you do buy lowering links, that you'll have to lower the front forks the same amount, and also adjust the side stand (when i lowered my bike the side stand had it up too high so the bike was in danger of falling over. I just cut off an inch off the bottom of it and it was perfect)

• Advertisement

Another option I was looking at would be to shave the seat on a kawasaki ninja. Does anyone know how much height this would actually take off the bike though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Another option I was looking at would be to shave the seat on a kawasaki ninja. Does anyone know how much height this would actually take off the bike though?

if you're going this route then i would get another seat from a breakers and modify that, you can take out as much or as little as you like.when you come to trade/sell on then you can offer both!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Definite help, I know a fella who couldn't manage his Vstrom 1000 until he put the seat from a 650 onto it (lower & narrower).

Combine that with lowered suspension and honestly you'll be able for most bikes out there. Just bear in mind tha they are two easy, cheap mods when looking at potential bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Depends on how much you shave off. Take off a lot and you'll be closer to the ground but your bum is gonna hurt on long rides. Like above said lowering kits dont cost that much but theres a lot of work to be done around it and will cost alot if done by a mechanic (thats if you cant/dont have the means to do it by yourself).

I did this with my 600 bandit. Im about 5'5/6 and stopping at lights i had to shift my weight to the left to get a solid footing, so when getting the seat reupholstered i got the guys to slim down where my riding position is by around 10mm (ish).

10mm doesnt seem much but getting rid of the outer coat of the foam makes it softer and you condense it more when sitting on the seat resulting in you being closer to the ground. So now its almost perfect, full foot down at lights and very comfortable to ride and stop with.

I think its important to get the seat height right if your starting off riding too imo, you get less scares making you more confident (and its a bit safer too;) ). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just to throw a different type into the mix..... a Yamaha Serow 225.
    Very low for that type of bike and if needed be you could lower more easy enough I'd say. They are soft too and go down a bit when you sit on it.
    A cracking bike that's fun and has a bit of a cult following!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Why not try out a few bikes?

I went up to Tallaght Super Bikes yesterday and tried out a few for size. I am a 29 inch leg and find the low jap sports bikes fit me quite well.

I used to have an XS1100 and I had to tip toe on that a bit.

Why not check out a few bike shops and you can see first hand how you are fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I'm 5ft1 and a bit :D I started off on a CBR250, I also wore New Rock boots, gives me an extra inch or so, I'm also not strong at all.

I went from that to a CBR600, got it lowered, higher boots. Now I'm on an SV650, I got Daytona Ladystar boots - they have lifts in them. My feet aren't flat on the ground, but I'm more confident on the bike, and I've learned to jump away if I feel it going over and I know I can't hold it. Crash bungs are the dogs :p

I was in the States a few years ago, I did the Shamrock Run for Crumlin Children's Hospital - they gave me a Harley Road King - absolutely enormous. I couldn't even reach the stand, never mind the ground. I thought because I'd be on a cruiser I'd be able to reach the ground no bother, I forgot about the wider and WAY heavier bike. Came off of it 3 times before someone swapped with me for a Soft Tail. Luckily the boxes on the Road King saved my legs each time and I only fell off when I stopped and had to put my feet on the ground - road camber can be a bitch.

Try bikes, see which one you like, get it lowered, get higher boots - if you really want to do it, you'll find a way, but you are in no way too short. And as one of my instructors said to me - I'm at more of an advantage than any big huge bloke, coz I'm so tiny on the bike I have full 360 degree vision, and therefore am probably safer.

Good luck with the hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I think this was posted somewhere on this forum before but it's relevant here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The Don wrote: »
    I think this was posted somewhere on this forum before but it's relevant here :)

Great lad...****ed if he has to stop at the lights!!! Whats he gonna do laps of the car at the front!!!!

:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Great lad...****ed if he has to stop at the lights!!! Whats he gonna do laps of the car at the front!!!!

:pac::pac::D

Hop off and hold in the clutch ;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

+1 for the Daytona ladystar boots! I have an f650gs which was lowered, has the suspension dialled down as much as possible and with the boots I can get one foot flat on the ground or both feet if I keep the heels up. I'm 5 ft 2 in with quite short legs.

Keep searching, you'll find something that suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...my SO is also not-tall. And even though you don't need to get both feet down, she's not happy unless she can.

Last year I got her an SV650S and bought a lowering kit for it, and she's happy now. No reason why you can't do this on any bike -incl the likes of the Kawasaki - and it's cheap to do, too. The lowering kit cost my €89 and took me about an hour to fit.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

The Don wrote: »

the funny thing is that this rider does offroad on that bike... lol

btw... pedrosa, lorenso, hayden... all are small short one shots ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

She got a bike. I wont ruin the surprise and tell ya what she got!
    I'm sure a pic will be along soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hi there.
    Mine would suit you I think. And its for sale too!
    2007 er6n

They are a great bike, and I've added some really nice extras.
    Let me know if you want to take a look!

Terry.

goodlad wrote: »
    She got a bike. I wont ruin the surprise and tell ya what she got!
    I'm sure a pic will be along soon enough
    I've been too busy sitting on the bike saying 'vroom vroom' (not allowed use it yet). Yep, got a yzf r125 that just so happened to be lowered already so got really lucky. Thanks for all the advise from everyone though. Still gonna need it for when I get a bigger bike ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I've been too busy sitting on the bike saying 'vroom vroom' (not allowed use it yet). Yep, got a yzf r125 that just so happened to be lowered already so got really lucky. Thanks for all the advise from everyone though. Still gonna need it for when I get a bigger bike ;-)

Now that is nice! Hope you get out on her soon. Stay safe and have fun. :D

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    Now that is nice! Hope you get out on her soon. Stay safe and have fun. :D
    Only stuck the form for a permit in the post yesterday morning so will be a little while yet.
    p.s. took the picture from the good side, couple of cracks in the fairings on the other side but I can easily overlook that.

One Sunday you'll see a llittle yamaha scooting along behind u all on a sunday ride!

Advertisement