Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is food checked for radioactive fallout ?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I don't know if food is checked or not by companies and manufacturers.
    Since the fucushima disaster are they using geiger counters to check all food on sale in Ireland !
    If they are not I am thinking of buying one for checking food that I buy .
    Does anyone here know if our food is being checked ?
    I have heard that tuna fish could be radioactive from fucushima fallout .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Most of the tuna bought in Ireland comes from EU fisheries. Don't expect any tuna from Japan. Same goes for other fish unless you buy one that is of Japanese origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm sure they don't check food with either geiger or scintillation counters here. Especially not bananas or brazil nuts, which are radioactive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The main foods that store radiation are milk, and spinach, neither of which are imported from Japan.
    The FSAI do check for radiation in foodstuffs the main cause is irradiation by companies looking to sterilise food.
    Japan doesn't export tuna here, we export it to them.
    You are more at risk from air travel then food consumption IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The main foods that store radiation are milk, and spinach, neither of which are imported from Japan.
    The FSAI do check for radiation in foodstuffs the main cause is irradiation by companies looking to sterilise food.
    Japan doesn't export tuna here, we export it to them.
    You are more at risk from air travel then food consumption IMO.

Just to add to the post above, the main foodstuffs irradiated are spices and must be labelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The FSAI do check for radiation in foodstuffs the main cause is irradiation by companies looking to sterilise
    Irraditing food does not make radioactive.

As has been previously said some foods such as bananas and brazil nuts have small amounts of radiation naturally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement