Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum is boring, all your question can be answered on the UCD website

Options
  • 15-06-2013 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I'm not trying to troll

I'm not trying to offend

However

All the threads here are questions that can be easily answered by googling or going to the UCD website.

I know that people have better to say than this, I know this forum could be a lot more interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Most questions, but not all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I would just like to hear more opinion rather than information exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There is a huge amount of opinion vs information - just look for threads that ask for opinions, not answers.

Also, this is a time of year where the forum tends to be riddled with freshly registered accounts asking for information on things - during term things tend to be a little more discussion oriented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I used to be a member of this site ages ago when I first started in UCD, and intended on using this particular forum when I came back here to do my postgrad. There were some great regulars on here, not sure if theyre gone now, presumably graduated and moved on.
    It was like a mini AH, threads like how to blow up the RDS and Pat Patterson threads etc. Easily the most entertaining University forum.

Things have changed a little bit alright. Maybe something to do with Horizons, but it does resemble a course enquiry forum indeed OP... bit uptight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It all depends on what type of students are on the forum. I was in ucd from 06-11 and I remember that in 2006 and a few years before it there was a big community of people on here that knew each other in college and online and the place was much more active. In my undergrad days our history class had a thread that was over 1000 posts starting from first to final year, usually busiest in the wee hours of a Friday morning before an essay deadline and it was good craic but the years before and after us had nothing like that. If you get five or six in the same course on the forum it cam grow.

I wouldn't blame it on anything in particular why this is quieter but in my last course someone set up a facebook group which everyone in the course joined and had discussions just like on boards but in a semi private setting. I would say there are loads of these in most courses and even groups for people living in each accommodation area to discuss and do things people used boards for before facebook was king.

• Advertisement

It all depends on what type of students are on the forum. I was in ucd from 06-11 and I remember that in 2006 and a few years before it there was a big community of people on here that knew each other in college and online and the place was much more active. In my undergrad days our history class had a thread that was over 1000 posts starting from first to final year, usually busiest in the wee hours of a Friday morning before an essay deadline and it was good craic but the years before and after us had nothing like that. If you get five or six in the same course on the forum it cam grow.

I wouldn't blame it on anything in particular why this is quieter but in my last course someone set up a facebook group which everyone in the course joined and had discussions just like on boards but in a semi private setting. I would say there are loads of these in most courses and even groups for people living in each accommodation area to discuss and do things people used boards for before facebook was king.

That was when I started as well. Good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I used to be a member of this site ages ago when I first started in UCD, and intended on using this particular forum when I came back here to do my postgrad. There were some great regulars on here, not sure if theyre gone now, presumably graduated and moved on.
    It was like a mini AH, threads like how to blow up the RDS and Pat Patterson threads etc. Easily the most entertaining University forum.

Things have changed a little bit alright. Maybe something to do with Horizons, but it does resemble a course enquiry forum indeed OP... bit uptight.

Yeah we all got into trouble for being too "cliquey" and got banned for anything that may have been considered an "inside" reference. But that all stemmed from boards meetups and nights out in UCD that were organised through the forum. All died a death after that. I cant recall why but I remember a mod banning over 20 users (?) at once and it was highlarious. Link I would have made such a good mod of this forum. Bitter much?!

Not really but I am applying to get back into UCD next year so I can spam the forum again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Ha! my old username is on that list. Can't login for some reason, I presume there are rules against having two accounts but I can't access it.

Wow 7 years ago. Now I just feel old.

Maybe the problem is nothing more boards beers wouldn't fix? I know there were accusations of cliqueyness back then (I disagree) but it's sad to see a complete 180 degree turnaround.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Yeah we all got into trouble for being too "cliquey" and got banned for anything that may have been considered an "inside" reference. But that all stemmed from boards meetups and nights out in UCD that were organised through the forum. All died a death after that. I cant recall why but I remember a mod banning over 20 users (?) at once and it was highlarious. Link I would have made such a good mod of this forum. Bitter much?!

Not really but I am applying to get back into UCD next year so I can spam the forum again.

So you're saying I should just start banning people? I could do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Every course now has a UCD private group set up on facebook and is pretty much the first thing a new class rep sets up when elected and looks up people by name who are registered on the course or something to add them to the group on facebook.

The one I'm in on facebook is mainly people talking about exams, deadlines, study tips, linking some videos on youtube and about 20,000 frapes, mostly people confessing that they're gay.

But there's loads of banter on there that presumably would be here and is no coincendence that the good times on here seem to have stopped roughly around the same time as the emergence of facebook.

After all, the whole point of facebook in the first place was for craic between university students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There was a good bunch of forum regulars at the time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Theres private facebook groups for that now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rebeks

do you have to have a pass in another language other than english to get into ucd? I failed french :/ but have 9 gcse's? Worried please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Rebeks wrote: »
    do you have to have a pass in another language other than english to get into ucd? I failed french :/ but have 9 gcse's? Worried please help!

From the website:

Bachelor of Arts
    Entry requirements: Passes (GCSE Grade C/A-Level Grade E or above) in English, another language and four other recognised subjects.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/alevel_req.ezc

So possibly? Call the programme office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rebeks

ugh I'm screwed then. Thanks though!

The irony of your choice of thread to post this question in is unbearable...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Going by their post count, I think they were trolling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The good old days of the history thread, I remember it well. Talking about Surrender and Regrant and some of the more legendary lecturers such as Declan Downey and Diarmuid Ferriter.

I had a very high post count there if I remember :)

Advertisement