Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email not working

• 15-06-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this correct section but here goes.

I've recently changed broadband from Eircom to Upc Which seems good. My incoming mail is fine but can't send outgoing. Would this mean that I have to change my outgoing server?

Any thoughts would be great as I'm a novice when it comes to this lark.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You need to change your outgoing mail server to that of your ISP, in this case smtp.upcmail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

SickBoy wrote: »
    You need to change your outgoing mail server to that of your ISP, in this case smtp.upcmail.ie

Cheers for that. I'll give it a go.

i tried that but its saying cannot find server. Im receiving email re pop3 but not sending. Phone email working. head wrecking. I changed from eircom BB to UPC. Does that require different setting other than outgoing server setting. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

smtp.upcmail.ie [213.46.255.2]

accessible for pings for me, although right now i'm on vodafone dsl
    you might need different authentication settings perhaps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

i tried that but its saying cannot find server. Im receiving email re pop3 but not sending. Phone email working. head wrecking. I changed from eircom BB to UPC. Does that require different setting other than outgoing server setting. Any ideas?

You can follow the instructions privided by UPC HERE
    (If link don't work, I will quote the piece below)
    How to set up using Outlook:

1. Start Outlook

2. Click on Tools, and select "E-mail Accounts"

3. Now select "Add a new e-mail account" and click "next"

4. Select "POP3" on this page, and click "next"

5. Enter your display name in the box labelled "Your Name:" (this allows you to specify how you want your name to appear in the 'From' field in mails that people receive from you).

6. Enter your full email address in to the box labelled "E-mail Address:"

7. Enter your incoming mail server into the box labelled "Incoming mail server (POP3)". The server should match the domain of your existing email address e.g. mail1.eircom.net

8. Enter your outgoing mail server into the box labelled "Outgoing mail server (SMTP)". The server should be smtp.upcmail.ie

9. Fill in your existing email address into the box labelled "User name:"

10. Enter your password for your email address into the box labelled "Password:"

11. The box for "Remember password" should be ticked.

12. Click on "Next", then "Finish".

13. You have now set up your email account.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    You can follow the instructions privided by UPC HERE
    (If link don't work, I will quote the piece below)

Nick

Does changing bb provider usually mean changing email settings

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Does changing bb provider usually mean changing email settings

For outgoing mail, yes, that is provided you are using the previous providers mail servers. The reason you need to change this when switching providers is an anti spamming measure. Otherwise people on other providers could use Eircoms mail servers to send spam emails, and the ISP won't be able to do anything about it

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    For outgoing mail, yes, that is provided you are using the previous providers mail servers. The reason you need to change this when switching providers is an anti spamming measure. Otherwise people on other providers could use Eircoms mail servers to send spam emails, and the ISP won't be able to do anything about it

Nick
    Cheers for info

Advertisement