Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prenatal steroid treatment?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

we're expecting our first baby this autumn. Our Doc has diagnosed marginal placenta previa, which she wants to treat with steroid injections (just in case we end up going into pre-term labour). It sounds very radical to us, and we're wondering if it's normal? We're just into week 28.

I'd love to hear your advice on this - especially if you have any personal experience with similar situations.

Cheers,

WB

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is normal if there is any chance of pre term labour you get the injections to strengthen babies lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 weeping baby

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is normal if there is any chance of pre term labour you get the injections to strengthen babies lungs.
    Cheers for the response, Moonbeam,

I suppose the question is, how do you define "any chance of pre term labour". There's always some chance. Plus, we haven't had any alarms or any indications that something might happen soon. Does everybody with marginal placenta previa get administered steroids?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ask your consultant or gp.

Anyone I know including myself that were hospitalised during pregnancy after I think it is about 20 weeks has got it.

As this is medical advice I have to close the thread .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement