Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting the Skelligs

Options
  • 15-06-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place for this question. Please feel free to move if necessary!

I'm hoping to visit the Skelligs in August. I know it's entirely weather dependent - I'll be in Schull for a week at the start of August, and have time either side of that week, so based on forecasts nearer the time I hope to do a couple of nights up around Portmagee or that general area either before or after W Cork, and fingers crossed the trips will be happening.

My questions are:

1) Is there any operator particularly recommended for doing the trip over to the islands? I understand there's a few people licensed, just wondering if there's any better/worse than others?

2) Anyone have any recommendations for B&B's/hotels that are nice around that area? Nice locations/view/service - I'm willing to pay if it's worth it! I'll more than likely be on my own doing this weekend, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

Dunno if there is any difference between operators, but the Moorings is right beside the pier, pub with accomodation and serving decent food, haven't stayed there though...

http://www.moorings.ie/portmagee.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

Hi

Friends went to the Skelligs last year with an Owen Walsh, they got his boat from the Skelligs Centre. I might be able to get a number for him if you wish.
    But, they were very pleased with him,

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi

Friends went to the Skelligs last year with an Owen Walsh, they got his boat from the Skelligs Centre. I might be able to get a number for him if you wish.
    But, they were very pleased with him,

Sam

I sailed through the Skelligs a few years back - it is the most amazing coastline & if you have a good day will be photo magic. Well worth doing even if it's grey -inspiring formidable place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I sailed through the Skelligs a few years back - it is the most amazing coastline & if you have a good day will be photo magic. Well worth doing even if it's grey -inspiring formidable place.

Yes, I've sailed past them a few times, I've only ever seen them from the sea - they really are the most amazing sight when you round the Mizen. I really hope that I can make it out to actually set foot on them.

Cheers for the name of the boat operator, Sam, I'll file that for reference!

Bumping this to see if anyone else has any recommendations for me?

The Moornings is booked out, apparently - or it is on their website anyway, I might give them a ring anyhow.

I think I'll probably be going around the days of 31 Jul / 3 Aug.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Dramamine. Even on a relatively calm day it can be quite choppy, and it's a fair old trip. The trip out was ruined for me, despite it not being very rough and having taken Dramamine -- I took it too late to be properly effective. I still enjoyed the islands immensely though, and the Dramamine had kicked in by the time it was time to go home.

The boat will be the easy bit - I'm well used to them :D

It's the finding a bed for the night(s) I'm worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

You could think about staying in Valentia Island its only 4 miles or so to where the boats leave for the Skelligs. http://www.valentiaisland.ie/

SS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Was down there last weekend, they start leaving from about 10.00 and they seem to make only 1 trip / day.

Ballinskelligs might do as an alternative base.

Usual stuff, strong footwear, dramamine, plenty water, sunscreen, a small snack for the island would be no harm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement