Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Bali, Indonesia

• 15-06-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Just looking for a bit of advice regarding travel to Indonesia specifically what injections are required, Will be doing the usual tourist stuff but would like to do some active things like hiking up volcanoes.

The nurse I rang said I need about 400 Euro worth which covers 9 shots.

Anyone any experience or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

hey.

Going to Indonesia next week. I got my shots two years ago for Thailand, then got some top ups for Vietnam last year.

400e is very expensive. I paid about 200e with my GP. I didnt bother with the rabies injection. It's about 80e and it just extents your time. You still have to go to hospital for treatment. Just stay away from monkeys, dogs and cats.

I didnt take malaria tablets either. Heard lots of stories about them making people sick. I didnt go into any deep jungles, but certainly went trekking. Ask your GP where is safe to go without malaria tabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Thanks for the helpful info.

I don't want to limit possible trips through the jungle. I'm thinking about skipping the rabies too. Probably better to spend the money on good travel insurance.

Enjoy your trip how long are you going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Been to Bali a good few times and have travelled around the near by islands, i never got injections and never had a problem, we took malaria tablets as outside of the tourist areas Mosquitos are everywhere and also took dengue fever tablets with us as there's always and out break of dengue fever(thank god never got it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

hearny wrote: »
    Thanks for the helpful info.

I don't want to limit possible trips through the jungle. I'm thinking about skipping the rabies too. Probably better to spend the money on good travel insurance.

Enjoy your trip how long are you going for.

Flying out on 22nd June and returning on 15th July. Probably in Bali the first week in July. looking at Samur/Legion and Ubud. Not sure yet.

Enjoy the trip and thanks for the response,
    I will be onto you for more advice when you are back if you dont mind, we will be in Ubud too so you might let me know what is worth doing.

Plus I will find out if 200 Euro worth of shots will allow you to get back in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Been to Bali a good few times and have travelled around the near by islands, i never got injections and never had a problem, we took malaria tablets as outside of the tourist areas Mosquitos are everywhere and also took dengue fever tablets with us as there's always and out break of dengue fever(thank god never got it).

Yeap, I can second this-been there and elsewhere in Indonesia a lot of times. To be honest I didnt even know about all these injections, much less get them. Will be there again this summer, only on a couple of short weekend trips this time and will not be changing my approach for this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Back from there a few weeks.
    I got absolutely no injections or tablets whatsoever and I appear to be alive. I was bitten by a monkey and all.
    Not saying that's the way to go but I didn't have any problems.

In Ubud, go to the monkey sanctuary and buy some bananas outside. Then walk in and prepare to be jumped on by about a dozen monkeys who will fleece you of those bananas in seconds. Great craic.
    I stayed in Sanur mainly and it's very nice but a bit quiet at night. Massimos is a great italian resturant there.

You're not that far from Komodo National Park. When I was there I took a flight to Labuan Bajo (1hr) and then hired a boat to take me to the islands. It went around a few islands - there was snorkeling and stuff and then a hike to see the dragons. Then some epic bat swarms in the evening. Well worth doing.

People are amazingly friendly.

Ha you appear to be alive eh?

Rabies can take a while to show symptoms so I will check back with you in a few weeks to see if you are like an extra from 28 Days Later.

Thanks for the info, I'd be inclined to avoid contact with animals if I dont get the rabies shots but that does sound like a good craic.

Whats the story with Komodo National park is the boat ride long and was that an expensive trip I would love to see the dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Well, as I said, it's about an hour to Lubuan Bajo on the the plane. Then it's about 3 hours on the boat out to Rinca which is where we went. The dragons aren't quite as big there as they are on Komodo Island but there's more of them so you're more likely to actually see some. Don't let 3 hours on the boat put you off - it's a great experience in itself.
    It cost me about 800 quid all in for two people which yes was expensive but that included: Flights there and back (to Bali), 1 night in fancy hotel (LaPrima), boat trip including lunch (which was gorgeous), snorkeling and equipment, stop at remote beach, a driver to make all connections, a personal tour guide who took us everywhere, and several other tours around Labuan Bajo - (caves and fish markets). I baulked at the price before we went but afterwards it was totally worth it. Booked it through a travel desk at my hotel in Bali. A real authentic experience.
    I prob paid more to have the agency do everything for me. I'd say you could make your own way there for far less.

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement