Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your poison?

• 15-06-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people here use for low poly game design?

Max? Maya? Blender?

Personally, I've never used blender but I've done a fair bit in max - however, I'm coming around to using Maya lately.

Just wondering what anyone else's opinions are. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Maya for me, I've used it since I started and at a few different companies since. Use whatever you're comfortable with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Blender for me, tried max and just couldn't take to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Kyotokid wrote: »
    Use whatever you're comfortable with :)
    Agree to a point, I've used max mostly to animate high poly stuff exported from inventor for product presentations - and I must say that's fairly handy to achieve. Game (well not really actually 'game' but more map / level / object) design is only something I'm doing as a hobby and Maya seems a bit more friendly for that. I really love how easy is is to align vertices etc.

My biggest gripe with Maya so far is finding stuff - e.g. a texture node on a face on an object with a pile of history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I suppose it depends how low-poly you want.

I use blender but for a complex model it can be immensely time consuming.

If you have any artistic ability, zbrush allows you to sculpt amazingly detailed models and then decimate them to incredibly low counts while preserving the detail (within reason).

If it's a cartoon styled game or whatever though I would say regular poly modelling with blender is the way to go.

Try www.blendercookie.com for some awesome tutorials for blender.

Advertisement