Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing finches in Ireland

• 14-06-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Lads I'm looking for a breeder of finches in Ireland, preferably in Dublin county (but not essential). I know a breeder in Malahide area passed away last year (Fred Nutty) and he had great stock and was very reliable as I bought from him many years ago. I was in the loop years ago but haven't had the species for 10 years now and am all ready to get back into it.

Any help greatly appreciated! Pm's gratefully received.

Mod note: this thread was split away from an old thread, hence there are one or two references/quoted posts relating back to the old thread. Please do not regenerate old arguments in this new thread!
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

try the bird market,on peter street dublin sunday mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Try copsewood aviary in Kilmacenogue or Sherwood aviary on the N11 by Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Srameen wrote: »
    Head for a decent Pet Shop near you.

I disagree.
    Pet shops double the price from breeders and hand reared are a lot of the time in cages with no human contact until they're sold. The amount of time iv seen 'hand reared' birds for sale in pet shops and they'd take the hand off you or jump to the far end of the cage. Granted it might not be too hard to get get them used to contact again but when your paying twice the price towards one that would come to ya from a dealer silly tame its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Or take note that hand reared often have their wings clipped so they can't fly away when you handle them. This makes them appear tamer then they actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Knine wrote: »
    Or take note that hand reared often have their wings clipped so they can't fly away when you handle them. This makes them appear tamer then they actually are.

Thats true, but its not hard to check. Physically or otherwise. Put the bird on something if you dont want check physically, and put your hand out to him... you'll soon find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Birdlover

~Here is a great irish bird forum with lots of really good breeders that i know personally. hope this helps :)www.irishparrots.com

Advertisement