Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland West Airport Knock

Options
  • 15-06-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭

Knock Aikrport is vitally important to the true West of Ireland.

Two recent developments are causes for concern

1. Liam Scollan resignation

He was a great CEO. What is the full story here? How will he be replaced.?

2. Shannon competition

Shannon is now free from DAA control, and can pitch aggressively for business. Will Shannon eat Knock's lunch? What can Knock do about that?

There is a steering group at work. I've read various report dates - end of June , or September.

Have they invited submissions from anyone. ?

As far as I remember the Airport company hold the airport in trust for the people of Connacht

We had church gate collections in the early dates.

Larger funding may now be required.

There are EU restrictions on state aid - but are we sure Knock is getting at least as much as Shannon. ?

I appreciate Enda is busy these days, but this must be a priority

There was quite a complicated deal and shuffling of assets in the course of cutting Shannon free of DAA. Any hidden subsidies to Shannon we should know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Liam Scollan is executive chairman, not CEO. The current CEO is Joe Gilmore. I am only guessing but Liam was on his way out over the last few years, he has been in situe for a considerable period, nearly ten years!

There was a feasibility study a couple of years ago (separate to the current study by the steering committee) regarding development of an enterprise park. That was mothballed due to the recession.

The problem is that both airports marketplace for passengers are in the same catchment area. Mayo is on the periphery of this area.

IWAK have threatened legal action (in Europe) over subsidies to Shannon previous, from here.

Note that the €10 departure tax ensures that IWAK looks good financially an that Shannon doesn't charge this for departing passengers. In effect, IWAK us being subsidied indirectly.

The changes to the retail part etc look well and are more contemporary and in keeping with other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

finisklin wrote: »
    Liam Scollan is executive chairman, not CEO. The current CEO is Joe Gilmore. I am only guessing but Liam was on his way out over the last few years, he has been in situe for a considerable period, nearly ten years!

There was a feasibility study a couple of years ago (separate to the current study by the steering committee) regarding development of an enterprise park. That was mothballed due to the recession.

The problem is that both airports marketplace for passengers are in the same catchment area. Mayo is on the periphery of this area.

IWAK have threatened legal action (in Europe) over subsidies to Shannon previous, from here.

Note that the €10 departure tax ensures that IWAK looks good financially an that Shannon doesn't charge this for departing passengers. In effect, IWAK us being subsidied indirectly.

The changes to the retail part etc look well and are more contemporary and in keeping with other airports.

OK, noted.

But the loss of an executive chairman is a serious matter for any company.

In view of the tussle between Knock and a liberated Shannon this is a time for all hands on deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Scollan caught in political crossfire according to the Connaught Telegraph

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/latest-news/3760-scollan-caught-in-political-crossfire-sources-reveal-?format=pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭twg73

Hi, I don't think Shannon is much competition to knock. I think Dublin is more competition than Shannon. Ryanair had flights to spain 400 euros cheaper for a family out of Dublin than Knock so we booked from Dublin.

I use knock a good bit, its great for getting to London and other UK airports. Can't see Shannon being a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Shannon has it's own battles to fight now that there's a full motorway going to Dublin on it's doorstep, two even once the M18 joins up with the M6. Knock is taking up some of the slack of Galway airport. My mother and aunts flew to London and back recently from Knock and I had to drop them off and pick them up to bring them home to Ballinasloe. Very impressed with the improvements to the N17 after Tuam. This will help pick up more former Galway passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

flazio wrote: »
    Shannon has it's own battles to fight now that there's a full motorway going to Dublin on it's doorstep, two even once the M18 joins up with the M6. Knock is taking up some of the slack of Galway airport. My mother and aunts flew to London and back recently from Knock and I had to drop them off and pick them up to bring them home to Ballinasloe. Very impressed with the improvements to the N17 after Tuam. This will help pick up more former Galway passengers.

Agree, Knock is so handy and much cheaper than dublin contrary to a previous poster. The damn €10 charge per person is downright annoying and should be removed. Surely the development excuse has outlived its reason by now. Get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

dec25532 wrote: »
    Agree, Knock is so handy and much cheaper than dublin contrary to a previous poster. The damn €10 charge per person is downright annoying and should be removed. Surely the development excuse has outlived its reason by now. Get rid.
    They now need to pay for that Monsignor Horan statue. :rolleyes:

Would happily pay that for the convenience of not having to go thru Dublin or Shannon.

The bigger airports can probably get more than Knock can from the airlines

I do hope Knock survives and grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd like Knock to survive and even grow but the development charge annoys me. Not the cost of it but more the way it's collected. I constantly forget about it. Why isn't it incorporated into the Airport Charges you pay when purchasing a ticket?

In a related topic I think the public transport to and from the airport leaves a lot to be desired. I'm aware it's more rural and harder to service but I'd love to see a survey comparing the amount that use public transport going to and from Dublin Airport compared to Knock. I'd say it's frightening.

The damn €10 charge per person is downright annoying and should be removed. Surely the development excuse has outlived its reason by now. Get rid.

The reason that Knock's financial performance is positive is that when you compare it with other airports Knock receives less subsidies. Part of the reason for this is the ten euro fee. If passengers weren't paying the €10 fee then the potential subsidy (via the taxpayer) would be higher and also weaken the airport's position agin Shannon.

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    The reason that Knock's financial performance is positive is that when you compare it with other airports Knock receives less subsidies. Part of the reason for this is the ten euro fee. If passengers weren't paying the €10 fee then the potential subsidy (via the taxpayer) would be higher and also weaken the airport's position agin Shannon.

I thought "state aid" to all airports has stopped under EU directives or regs?

The detail of allocation of resources, assets and liabilities when hiving out Shannon from the DAA etc would be interesting.

Dublin airport announced recently that they financed T2 from their own resouces. I wonder. Flew out of Dublin in May. Check in at T1, long way to T2 for plane. Operational reason or some Shannon stopover 2013 style?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Dudda wrote: »
    I'd like Knock to survive and even grow but the development charge annoys me. Not the cost of it but more the way it's collected. I constantly forget about it. Why isn't it incorporated into the Airport Charges you pay when purchasing a ticket?

In a related topic I think the public transport to and from the airport leaves a lot to be desired. I'm aware it's more rural and harder to service but I'd love to see a survey comparing the amount that use public transport going to and from Dublin Airport compared to Knock. I'd say it's frightening.
    If it were incorporated into the ticket price do you think the airlines would pass it on to Knock? At first they would, then it would slip to €9.50, €8.40, €6.70, the passenger would still pay €10 but Knock would only get some of it and some airline would get the rest.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dudda wrote: »
    Why isn't it incorporated into the Airport Charges you pay when purchasing a ticket?
    alan4cult wrote: »
    If it were incorporated into the ticket price do you think the airlines would pass it on to Knock? At first they would, then it would slip to €9.50, €8.40, €6.70, the passenger would still pay €10 but Knock would only get some of it and some airline would get the rest.
    That, and the airlines are keen to make their ticket prices look as low as possible. Add the tenner to the price of the ticket, and - no matter how clearly it's itemised on the ticket as an airport charge - it's perceived as an increase in the ticket price.

Airports are competing for airlines' business. If an airline says "we're not collecting that tenner", the airport isn't exactly in a position to dig its heels in.

For me it's a question of automatically thinking "plus a tenner" when booking flights and looking at Knock as an option. Given just how much more convenient it is than any other airport for me, it just isn't ever a deal-breaker.

Good news with the recent addition of new destinations by Ryanair to Glasgow Prestwich, Lithuania and Holland. They are also expanding services on some existing routes as well. More tourists and external access to international destinations is welcome.

In addition the study group plan to have the growth options report ready for the Taoiseach by the end of the month. Interesting that this feeds into the National Avaitation Policy which will be announced by the end of the year.

This latter chestnut is interesting.....will IWAK's business case supercede the country's overall aviation policy? Are they complementary?

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

how do or whats needed / how far off is a transatlantic flight from knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

liam12989 wrote: »
    how do or whats needed / how far off is a transatlantic flight from knock?

they dont have the physical space on the tarmac do that .

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

irishgeo wrote: »

How do they managed before then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Flyglobespan(?) had a service about 5 years ago.
    If I am correct it came from the UK and picked up more passengers in Knock.

Are any of the major carriers are interested these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

They were using a boeing 737 and doing a stop over in iceland. I think.

Rumours the €10 being scrapped since the government dropped the tax charges?

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    How do they managed before then?

They used a smaller aircraft, knock doesnt have the ground services or customs etc for bigger jets to land there. its not even used as a emergency divert point for planes in trouble crossing the atlantic. because its not a 24hr airport. its closes at night.

i cant see it to be honest it doesnt have the numbers for a daily flight and whats the point of a weekly one?
    They were using a boeing 737 and doing a stop over in iceland. I think.

Rumours the €10 being scrapped since the government dropped the tax charges?

Lets hope so. At least you could see where it was going with the new buildings etc. Now thats all done i wonder when we will get air bridges in.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

They used a smaller aircraft, knock doesnt have the ground services or customs etc for bigger jets to land there. its not even used as a emergency divert point for planes in trouble crossing the atlantic. because its not a 24hr airport. its closes at night.

Not true, a 738 was used on Boston route but 757-2 was used on JFK for the 6 month season. NOC had a 767 charter from Washington this summer and has handled Tristar and 747 wide-body charters in the past. Handling and staff can be scaled up as needed, but they have the runway length, ILS and Fire category, the only infrastructure constraint is the number of stands. But with most of the schedule concentrated in the early afternoon the apron / terminal have ample capacity to take the odd mid/wide body throughout the day. Not much difference from 3 concurrent 738s.

NOC had a 767 charter from Washington this summer
    True
    Not much difference from 3 concurrent 738s.
    Not true

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm
    AIP Ireland EIKN 2.24-1.

Put a B767 in there and there is no room for anything else.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B767
    See specifications for dimensions of B767.

Therefore you are looking a either a very early or very late operation, otherwise the normal scheduled traffic has nowhere to go while that B767 is on the ground.

One of the urban myths that took wings when the airport was launched was that US investment was attracted to help build it and that the runway at the time was big enough to take a B52 bomber. The idea being that Knock would be a refueling point for any sorties into Eastern Europe or beyond.

Based on the above posts that is obviously not a runner?

True

Not true

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm
    AIP Ireland EIKN 2.24-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B767
    See specifications for dimensions of B767.

Therefore you are looking a either a very early or very late operation, otherwise the normal scheduled traffic has nowhere to go while that B767 is on the ground.

sterling work mate. A B767 just about fits with all the other ones empty.

The B767 that flew in was the G8 press plane from america in the late evening according to the article on the airport website, shame no one took a photo of it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The B767 that flew in was the G8 press plane from america in the late evening according to the article on the airport website, shame no one took a photo of it.
    I saw it when it was there; it was parked on the secondary apron to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

True

Not true

Which is exactly what I said, room in the schedule where the apron is empty.

Look we all know it's a tight apron with 3 narrow-body stands. However it's not true to state they technically can't handle TA services (however unlikely commercially). Globespan operated a JFK service for 6 months, with a morning 757 arrival and the Boston 738 arriving at the same time without issue. Yes wide-body would cause problems, but were such a service to launch it would most likely use a 757 as we see with EI at SNN and most thin TA routes.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10798&g2_serialNumber=2

Theres an image of a charter 742, Thomas Cook A320 and an Arann ATR on the apron at NOC.

bigbird.jpg

Some images of the 764 charter here:

Flickr

Stand markings redrawn since the B747 visit. link to aip is current layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I personally think that a transatlantic link is unnecessary and unsuitable for Knock. It is one area where the airport cannot and should not try to compete with what is already available - a decent range of destinations from Dublin and Shannon and pre-clearance on offer at both airports. Ireland has always had a strong link to the US but as time goes on it is becoming more diluted - the US is not high on the list of most recent emigrants' destinations.

I would like to see a service from Knock that allows travellers from both the US and the rest of the world to travel in and out via a major European airport with links to various destinations worldwide. At the moment if your destination is outside of Europe it is almost impossible to use Knock as a starting point to connect to where you want to go, which is a real shame and must significantly impact on the numbers of passengers using the airport.

I personally think that a transatlantic link is unnecessary and unsuitable for Knock. It is one area where the airport cannot and should not try to compete with what is already available - a decent range of destinations from Dublin and Shannon and pre-clearance on offer at both airports. Ireland has always had a strong link to the US but as time goes on it is becoming more diluted - the US is not high on the list of most recent emigrants' destinations.

I would like to see a service from Knock that allows travellers from both the US and the rest of the world to travel in and out via a major European airport with links to various destinations worldwide. At the moment if your destination is outside of Europe it is almost impossible to use Knock as a starting point to connect to where you want to go, which is a real shame and must significantly impact on the numbers of passengers using the airport.

doesnt the fly be service from knock to manchester cover that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

doesnt the fly be service from knock to manchester cover that?

No - the service runs less than daily for much of the year, won't run at all for part of the winter and spring, and does not link directly to a major airline schedule - although it comes up with an Etihad codeshare link, you can't book from Knock on the Etihad website. That service really is not at all sufficient for connection purposes.

Advertisement