Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland West Airport Knock

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_details.aspx?id=345

Looks like there is some good news coming at Knock. In addition to the announcement of continued funding to regional airports for the next ten years it is also being reported that the recommendations of the government report on the airport are likely to be implemented in full - resulting in additional funding being provided to Knock in particular to develop the facility. These announcements should hopefully allow the continued development of the airport through the next decade and beyond.

The Ballaghaderreen bypass should also further open the airport up to the midlands when it is opened in a year's time. In general, with these developments, the continued progress of the N5 Castlebar/Westport scheme behind the scenes and the sports facility development in Castlebar, it looks like the county is finally starting to get its fair share of infrastructure development relative to other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

So any chance they could get rid of the €10 development fee in light of what is happening? It is a major pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

dec25532 wrote: »
    So any chance they could get rid of the €10 development fee in light of what is happening? It is a major pain in the ass

http://www.dttas.ie/aviation/publications/english/ireland-west-airport-knock-study-group-report-december-2013

A lot of spin and posturing for position from Kenny and co on this "announcement"...

Read the actual report, it puts all the airports financials out in the open. It's also full of aspiration and short on detail.

The fee is a major part of the airports funding and at current levels it could not continue to operate without it.

The government operating subventions currently make up about 1/16th of operating cost. Major growth (doubling passenger levels and aviation/ancillary income) is necessary to become fully self sustainaining.

Also remember this remains a report, saying much the same as the previous one. It pushes responsibility for funding to councils, local authorities and a vague groupe of stakeholders, reducing government responsibility for financing of the facility further. It may make sense but it's hard to see bankrupt Sligo and airfield burdened Galway CoCos rushing to fund Knock. I'd expect to see similar fee at other airports if this policy is adopted.

Until the government publish/pass final policy details, and commit to a significant level of capital investment (required to maintain current operations and facilitate necessary growth to become self sustainable) nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thanks for putting up the report Neworder79.

I am disappointed.

1..John O'Mahoney is decent man, a former teacher and hard-working TD. Afaik he has no relevant business experience or knowledge of transport economics. As he is a govt TD he was unlikely to highlight anything critical of present government. There are also suggestions locally that he was given the gig to improve his chances of nomination for and election as an MEP. In fact if the chairman had to be a politician, Jim Higgins might have had more relevant knowledge and experience. Was there nobody with a track record in tourism or industry available.?

2. Funding

The continued govt support to a certain level for next ten years is useful, but I have not much confidence in other aspirations.

2.1 Local authorities are under huge financial pressure. They have a high cost base, plus looming pension costs. Sligo were already deeply in debt before their foolish attack on Lissadel. Galway has had their own losses on Galway airport. That leaves Mayo. The Mayo Town Councils with substantial tourism plant might have been willing to add to the rates burden in favour of IWAK- but sadly they are being abolished. I am not sure how much the county in general would be willing to put on the rates for IWAK

2.2 Other local funding.

I recall a church gate collection long time ago to fund the airport. Doubt if such a collection would raise much these days.

2.3 - local investment, bonds etc. Numerous legal and regulatory difficulties with these.

New business.

with improving rail and road networks, flying Knock/Dublin not so attractive.

As suggested a same day return from London may attract business. Ideally this should be to Heathrow as this is best for connectivity.

Onward connectivity for flights from Knock is essential to attract numbers

Sligo and Galway are no longer competitors to Knock, which helps.

However Galway business now even more interested in Shannon, and it will be difficult for Knock to counter that attraction.

There have been some complicated financial footwork is vesting Shannon and it's assets debt free in the new Shannon board. Michael Noonan, I am sure, has been helpful there. I hope the Mayo TDs are up to speed on those matters, and ensuring that IWAK does not lose out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like its up, up and away for IWAK.....

From here

700,000 predicted to go through its doors this year.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear of these projections. I hope they will be realised and indeed exceeded.

Meanwhile would welcome comments on points raised by me in post 35 above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looking for 10millon from the local authorities in the region. This doesn't augur well as its needs sustainable funding from central government. Some counties may not pony up.

From MWR

Mayo Councillors Unanimously Back Giving Financial Support in "Principle" to IWAK

Created on Tuesday, 15 July 2014 08:58 iwak.jpg

Ireland West airport Knock is seeking up to 10 million euro in funding from across seven local authorities in the region, in an effort to ensure its sustainability and to increase tourist numbers and revenue into the region.
    Managing Director of the airport Joe Gilmore addressed members of Mayo County Council yesterday afternoon in Castlebar, to pitch “in principle” for the funding and outline the airport’s plans for the future.

The councillors unanimously backed the request “in principle” after listening to Mr Gilmore’s case for the airport. However, the exact detail of how much funding will be needed from each of the local authorities to make the plan work – remains unclear, until an announcement on central government funding for the airport is made, and that’s expected to be announced later this year.

The airport is looking for financial backing from 6 local authorities and Galway city council. It has already addressed Galway city councillors and Sligo county council and, according to Mr Gilmore they had received a positive response in principle from both of these authorities.

The councillors in Mayo were strong in support of the proposal.
    Mr Gilmore said the financial backing would ensure that over the next decade the airport will double its passenger numbers from 700,000 a year to 1.3 million. It would increase the annual number of bed nights for tourists across the region from 1 to 2 million and ensure that the airport was put on a strong financial footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

any idea who the other councils are? Would I be right in saying Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Galway, Longford & Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Are they looking for 10 million for operating costs?

Surely with a fairly new building they don't need money for up grading things?

They have extended the runway and got a up to date safety cover.

The charges they have for parking surly they can fund themselves.

I think this is a Shannon got some money so should we get free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Suggestion of Knock running flights out of the old Galway Airport. how would this work?

http://connachttribune.ie/knock-consider-running-flights-galway-airport/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Suggestion of Knock running flights out of the old Galway Airport. how would this work?

http://connachttribune.ie/knock-consider-running-flights-galway-airport/

the runway is far too short and hemmed in by major roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

dec25532 wrote: »
    Agree, Knock is so handy and much cheaper than dublin contrary to a previous poster. The damn €10 charge per person is downright annoying and should be removed. Surely the development excuse has outlived its reason by now. Get rid.

Much cheaper no.. 90 Euros parking for 2 weeks + 30 euros departure for family. That is 120 euros to use the airport. With Quick park in Dublin parking is 45 euros for 2 weeks.

Parking aside I have not problem paying the 10 euro tax, the airport is easy and quick to get in an out. If they didn't charge it at departure then it would be added to the ticket.. so one way or other you end up paying. Its vital we have an airport in the west and knock is doing well, but its not cheap.

Last year I flew to spain from dublin with the family, on the same route that Ryanair has from Knock, but the dublin route was 300 euros cheaper for the family, so we saved a good bit going via dublin. So its not always about the airport, sometimes tickets are a lot cheaper from Dublin or Shannon.

I still prefer knock, but price is also key. Flight+departure tax+parking if the total is 20% dearer than dublin then I book out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Much cheaper no.. 90 Euros parking for 2 weeks + 30 euros departure for family. That is 120 euros to use the airport. With Quick park in Dublin parking is 45 euros for 2 weeks.

Parking aside I have not problem paying the 10 euro tax, the airport is easy and quick to get in an out. If they didn't charge it at departure then it would be added to the ticket.. so one way or other you end up paying. Its vital we have an airport in the west and knock is doing well, but its not cheap.

Last year I flew to spain from dublin with the family, on the same route that Ryanair has from Knock, but the dublin route was 300 euros cheaper for the family, so we saved a good bit going via dublin. So its not always about the airport, sometimes tickets are a lot cheaper from Dublin or Shannon.

I still prefer knock, but price is also key. Flight+departure tax+parking if the total is 20% dearer than dublin then I book out of Dublin.

Don't forget the petrol/diesel you burn on a return trip to Dublin plus the expense of keeping the family fed and entertained for the 6 hour round trip. The convienience of landing back half hour from home (Castlebar as example) is worth a lot too in my opinion.

Don't forget the petrol/diesel you burn on a return trip to Dublin plus the expense of keeping the family fed and entertained for the 6 hour round trip. The convienience of landing back half hour from home (Castlebar as example) is worth a lot too in my opinion.

Yeah, but when the difference is 300 euros (including petrol and parking to dublin) then it makes a big difference.

But I agree Knock has a big advantage.

Plus of course

1. Faster movement thru Knock Airport

2. Greater certainty of finding your car, undamaged, in Knock

Out of curiosity this route was 455 euros cheaper from knock. After you pay the departure tax + more expensive parking the family still saves 350 euros using knock. so in this case its better to fly from knock.

Advertisement