Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 is a piece of sh#t

• 16-06-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Bought a new iPhone 5 last October, the sleep/wake button has been acting up until it virtually stopped working (had to press down on the left hand corner of the button really hard)

Aparently a well known common issue.

I rang up Apple who said i'd need to send it off to them and be without a phone for 10 days but out of pure coincidence I had a trip planned to belfast so I made an appointment at the Apple store there.

I went in, showed it to the guy at the Genius bar - no hassle, well known manufacturer hardware fault, Gives me a brand spanking new iPhone 5.

All good.. or so I thought.

I now get home from belfast, and notice the camera shutter wont open, it just satys shut on the screen.

I google it to find out that it's ANOTHER "common issue" amongst iPhone 5's and there is nothing you can do but get a replacement.

This is a brand new fecking phone, I havent even peeled the plastic off it yet and the camera wont work! Absolutely disgusted :mad:

So I wonder what apple would like me to do now, send the phone of for 10 days or go up to Belfast again?

I'm fuming, I've loved iPhones until now but this would make me switch to Samsung out of sheer principle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭matchthis

Did you try restore through iTunes? Have seen the mute button failure the odd time over th years, but never even heard of the camera issue. We have 20+ iPhones in work since 3G so I guess we have been extremely lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I had one and there was something rattling in it.

Went to the store in Belfast and they did not want to change it. Eventually they agreed to change it as a good will gesture. Which was poor form for a phone which cost over 600 euro. I would have hoped they would have changed it without having to ask when they were faulty.

I rang and they want to charge for an express repair but they were putting a substantial hold on the credit card and said they would charge me if hte phone was damaged.

Very poor service.

Also they were very busy.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yet another "things break, fûck <insert company here>" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

matchthis wrote: »
    Did you try restore through iTunes? Have seen the mute button failure the odd time over th years, but never even heard of the camera issue. We have 20+ iPhones in work since 3G so I guess we have been extremely lucky

Yeah, I didnt use the phone in at all in Belfast as I new i'd be coming home and restoring it from my last back-up anyway.

I cam home, restored it from last back up, wanted to take a pic of something and it didnt work. Put it to the back of my mind, then today I needed to take a video of something and again the shutter wouldnt open. Absolutely disgraceful on a literally BRAND NEW phone that was given as a replacement for an already fauly phone :rolleyes:

I'm restoring it again as we speak.
    dingding wrote: »
    I rang and they want to charge for an express repair but they were putting a substantial hold on the credit card and said they would charge me if hte phone was damaged.

Very poor service.

Also they were very busy.

I recall them saying exactly the same thing to me when I initially rang up: expecting me to go 10 days without a phone but if i wanted to go "EXPRESS" ( 5 days:rolleyes: ) I had to pay for it myself.

It didnt really sink in at the time as I was just about to tell them that i'm already going up to Belfast.

I'm going to ring them up again tomorrow and if they expect me to pay to be 5 days without my Second faulty phone, HELL will be unleashed on the phone-line. :mad:

miralize wrote: »

I dont recall saying "fûck" any company at all, are you seeing things or reading them as you want to read them :rolleyes: ... on your way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I was just complaining their poor quality (agreeing with the OP) and the lack of empathy with the customer.

OP if you back your contacts up to icloud you will be able to restore them in the apple shop. At least you will have your contacts on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

With any product, from anyone, you're going to have faults. Thats just a byproduct of mass production.

The customer support issues are also random! Different employees have various levels of competence, friendliness, and apathy towards their job, that's just how it is. Its pick a straw, if they dont help, you get to ask for someone else! And I hope you did.

What my point is, albeit snark-ily, is that threads like this dont solve anything. If you're having an issue with Apple, its between you and them. Personally, I've had both good and bad experiences with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bartonso

its not a ****!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ION08 wrote: »

I recall them saying exactly the same thing to me when I initially rang up: expecting me to go 10 days without a phone but if i wanted to go "EXPRESS" ( 5 days:rolleyes: ) I had to pay for it myself.

It didnt really sink in at the time as I was just about to tell them that i'm already going up to Belfast.

I'm going to ring them up again tomorrow and if they expect me to pay to be 5 days without my Second faulty phone, HELL will be unleashed on the phone-line. :mad:

Are you sure you were talking to Apple? The Express option is normally next day. Even without the express you'll usually have your phone turned around within a week. Most of the time people are complimentary about Apple's support.

@Dingding - Are you sure the rattle wasn't the well known one up around the camera? If thats the case there is nothing wrong with it, and why they didn't want to change it.

With any product, from anyone, you're going to have faults. Thats just a byproduct of mass production.

Yes, as I said I already had a "common fault" with my previous iphone 5 with the sleep/wake button not working. Call it a by product of mass production, I wasnt overly annoyed these things do happen but to have ANOTHER "common issue" on a brand new iPhone which was a replacement for an already defective iPhone following a 400km roundtrip up to Belfast is taking the pi$$ a little.

What if I get another THIRD Replacement iPhone and that one also suffers for yet another common fault? Should I non-chalantly write that off as "just a byproduct of mass production" as well? :rolleyes:
    The customer support issues are also random! Different employees have various levels of competence, friendliness, and apathy towards their job, that's just how it is. Its pick a straw, if they dont help, you get to ask for someone else! And I hope you did.

Oh dear. Regarding customer support, Inever said or implied that I had any issues with the employees or their "levels of competence" - the people I have dealt with over the phone and the guy at the Genius bar in Belfast have all been bang-on.

What I am taking issue with is the policy that Apple want me to actually pay for postage to return my second faulty iPhone - and they also want to place a 540 euro hold on my credit card in the meantime. Do you see how daft that sounds?
    What my point is, albeit snark-ily, is that threads like this dont solve anything. If you're having an issue with Apple, its between you and them. Personally, I've had both good and bad experiences with Apple.

Of course it's between me and apple, does that mean I can't come onto a public "Apple Devices" internet forum and vent my furstration / tell my story to other people who might want to hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes, as I said I already had a "common fault" with my previous iphone 5 with the sleep/wake button not working. Call it a by product of mass production, I wasnt overly annoyed these things do happen but to have ANOTHER "common issue" on a brand new iPhone which was a replacement for an already defective iPhone following a 400km roundtrip up to Belfast is taking the pi$$ a little.

What if I get another THIRD Replacement iPhone and that one also suffers for yet another common fault? Should I non-chalantly write that off as "just a byproduct of mass production" as well? :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Regarding customer support, Inever said or implied that I had any issues with the employees or their "levels of competence" - the people I have dealt with over the phone and the guy at the Genius bar in Belfast have all been bang-on.

What I am taking issue with is the policy that Apple want me to actually pay for postage to return my second faulty iPhone - and they also want to place a 540 euro hold on my credit card in the meantime. Do you see how daft that sounds?

Of course it's between me and apple, does that mean I can't come onto a public "Apple Devices" internet forum and vent my furstration / tell my story to other people who might want to hear it?
    Like you said you were already going to Belfast so your point is moot and I've never heard of apple asking a customer to pay for postage. They always send a box and ups or target envelope and you organise them to collect it and no cost other than a phone call. Also why do you think they should send you a phone before receiving the faulty one? How do they know if you're chancing your arm or not? That's what the hold on the cc is for and within reason IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I recently had issues with an iPhone 4s. It would not recharge no matter what I did with it. So I contacted Apple support as it was still under warranty. I opted to go for a charge on my credit card as they would send an immediate replacement and only charge my card if the problem was not covered by warranty. Great! I thought! My replacement phone arrived with UPS 7 working days later. Anyway plugged it in to my laptop to sync with iTunes and low and behold the replacement phone had an issue with home button and the "ringer on/off switch. I was absolutely livid!! Rang customer care and eventually got a call-back from a customer care supervisor (after a major rant).
    Effectively the lovely lady said they would replace the "replacement" with a new iPhone if I could travel to Belfast, which I could not do. It emerged that replacement iPhones are not new they are "refurbs". Any sent it back to apple and was without my phone for a further 10 days. I can't understand why they do not have an agreement with their authorised re-sellers (e.g.Galmac, Galway.There's another one in The Dundrum Centre.) Apple treat their R.O.I. customers like S$$TE. Sent several emails on the subject to their very polite customer service supervisor but never had a reply. I know they have to guard against bogus warranty claims but they sure are one very arrogant company. I read recently that they had to apologise to their Chinese customers for a similar situation. You would think they would look after their little "tax haven" :)occupants a little better!! End of yet another RANT!!!

guil wrote: »
    Like you said you were already going to Belfast so your point is moot and I've never heard of apple asking a customer to pay for postage. They always send a box and ups or target envelope and you organise them to collect it and no cost other than a phone call. Also why do you think they should send you a phone before receiving the faulty one? How do they know if you're chancing your arm or not? That's what the hold on the cc is for and within reason IMO.

Yes, going to Belfast was sheer coincidence and guess what, Im not going up to Belfast again anytime soon so the Apple store in belfast is out of the question, so my point isnt moot.

My options are to be left 10 days without my phone due to a second manufacturer hardware fault

or PAY for express postage myself and have €540 held on my credit card.

It may be within reason to you but what if I dont have 540 euros on my CC for apple to place on hold?

They are the options unfortunately but my point is they are pretty crap options especially considering I have just had my phone replaced

I recently had issues with an iPhone 4s. It would not recharge no matter what I did with it. So I contacted Apple support as it was still under warranty. I opted to go for a charge on my credit card as they would send an immediate replacement and only charge my card if the problem was not covered by warranty. Great! I thought! My replacement phone arrived with UPS 7 working days later. Anyway plugged it in to my laptop to sync with iTunes and low and behold the replacement phone had an issue with home button and the "ringer on/off switch. I was absolutely livid!! Rang customer care and eventually got a call-back from a customer care supervisor (after a major rant).
    Effectively the lovely lady said they would replace the "replacement" with a new iPhone if I could travel to Belfast, which I could not do. It emerged that replacement iPhones are not new they are "refurbs". Any sent it back to apple and was without my phone for a further 10 days. I can't understand why they do not have an agreement with their authorised re-sellers (e.g.Galmac, Galway.There's another one in The Dundrum Centre.) Apple treat their R.O.I. customers like S$$TE. Sent several emails on the subject to their very polite customer service supervisor but never had a reply. I know they have to guard against bogus warranty claims but they sure are one very arrogant company. I read recently that they had to apologise to their Chinese customers for a similar situation. You would think they would look after their little "tax haven" :)occupants a little better!! End of yet another RANT!!!

That's very poor form from Apple alright.

My first post was more of a rant than anything else as well.

I'm probably gonna have to clear some funds on my credit card now and get yet another replacement but if I get another dodgy one i'll be absolutely livid to the point of switching over to Samsung out of sheer principle, which I hope wont be the case.

The iPhone 4 that I had for 2 years prior to my iPhone 5 was absolutely perfect and didnt give me a days hassle.

The Iphone 5 that i have just gotten replaced because of the faulty sleep/wake button also had very poor battery life, there was definitely something wrong there but I didnt bring it up as I knew I'd be getting it replaced anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Switch to Samsung? They are without a doubt the ****tiest tech company going.
    Poor support across their entire range of products..witness their TVs for example..2011/2012 all ranges promised Netflix app on Smart TV..Mid 2012 Samsung decided to screw over their customers and only release it for their new high end TVs after that.. I speet on em.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Let's have anger, irritation or other annoyances expressed in proper English, people. Enough of the expletives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

if i was making a 400km round trip to replace a faulty product regardless of manufacturer, i'd be checking the replacement worked before leaving.

if i was making a 400km round trip to replace a faulty product regardless of manufacturer, i'd be checking the replacement worked before leaving.

I wasnt making the trip for the replacement phone.
    But yeah, I suppose I was a bit naive for thinking a new replacement phone wouldn't be faulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

I'm on my third iPhone 5 since October.

1st one stopped charging so I did the express replacement,received my replacement handset,it was faulty from the outset and wouldn't keep a phone signal,so I got onto apple who got me to do a sim replacement and see if it solved it,which it didnt! So I got out through to a senior customer advisor who was brilliant! And rang me at 4pm on a Monday & by midday Tuesday I had my replacement in my hand.

I've never had an issue with apples customer care! Always found them fantastic to deal with!

Just got a call back from a senior advisor from Apple, again, very nice guy, agreed to send me out a new phone via UPS once I give him my credit card details, I will then have 10 working days to send back the faulty one.

Although I understand the reason why, I'm still not too happy about them having to place a €540 hold on my credit card though...

Hopefully I wont get yet another dodgy one or that will be the last straw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just got a call back from a senior advisor from Apple, again, very nice guy, agreed to send me out a new phone via UPS once I give him my credit card details, I will then have 10 working days to send back the faulty one.

Although I understand the reason why, I'm still not too happy about them having to place a €540 hold on my credit card though...

Hopefully I wont get yet another dodgy one or that will be the last straw!

I see people complain quite a bit about the money on hold on your account, but I don't really see a problem, it's placed there while you have two iphones, and is released as soon as you give them back the faulty one. If they didn't do this there would be far more hoops to jump through for phones to be replaced, because people could simply be asking for a replacement then running off with two perfectly working phones... As long as you send back the other phone the money never gets taken and thus doesn't make a difference... The only problem would be reaching your credit limit but it's quite short term at up to 10 days, so hopefully doesn't effect people too badly..

I see people complain quite a bit about the money on hold on your account, but I don't really see a problem, it's placed there while you have two iphones, and is released as soon as you give them back the faulty one. If they didn't do this there would be far more hoops to jump through for phones to be replaced, because people could simply be asking for a replacement then running off with two perfectly working phones... As long as you send back the other phone the money never gets taken and thus doesn't make a difference... The only problem would be reaching your credit limit but it's quite short term at up to 10 days, so hopefully doesn't effect people too badly..

Yeah that's true but my credit card doesnt have a huge limit (I got it back in my student days) so i'm gonna have to go into the bank tomorrow, put money onto my card to clear some funds just so that Apple can place a hold on the money.

As I said iunderstand why they do it, but still feel a bit hard done by considering its a more than genuine case and i'm on my second replaced iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

As far as I'm aware your replacement won't have been brand new. They call them service models which I think are reconditioned ones. That's what they told me when I wanted a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

guil wrote: »
    I've never heard of apple asking a customer to pay for postage.

They charge for the express delivery of a new iPhone to you and then you send them back your faulty iPhone to the same courier the same day or whenever is most convenient. €29 I think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

You were just very unlucky, OP. That's no consolation, but it's the truth. Plenty of us have had no issues with the iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

etxp wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware your replacement won't have been brand new. They call them service models which I think are reconditioned ones. That's what they told me when I wanted a replacement.

It depends on the replacement. Some are new some are refurbished. Depends on the problem and condition of the phone you are returning.

Although my replacements could have been refurbished they looked brand new out of the box. No blemishs/scratchs/dirt. I returned my faulty phone in excellent condition so i'd be upset if the replacement wasn't in the same or better condition.
    brophs wrote: »
    You were just very unlucky, OP. That's no consolation, but it's the truth. Plenty of us have had no issues with the iPhone 5.

My dealings with Apple for hardware faults have been fantastic compared to what i've seen colleagues deal with through Samsung and HTC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

brophs wrote: »

don't know about that, I have had nothing but problems with the iPhone5 in my workplace

my count is at 6 phones that had to returned within a couple of weeks

various issues from loosing wifi after updating to the latest firmware,

also the shutter not opening with the camera

battery / power button problems

we have given up on them and went back to the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I've had my iphone 5 since launch - absolutely no problems to report.

i've also had iphone 1, 3g, 4 - and never had any kind of fault on any of them.

edit: actually i did have a problem with the home button sticking on iphone4 after about 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I've had my iphone 5 since launch - absolutely no problems to report.

i've also had iphone 1, 3g, 4 - and never had any kind of fault on any of them.

edit: actually i did have a problem with the home button sticking on iphone4 after about 18 months

My iPhone 5 too is fantastic.

I own examples of every model ever released and have no real problems with them. But when I have run any issues by the lads in the Apple Store, the handset has been exchanged without quibble. They are truly marvellous to deal with.

(In actual fact, those issues were the fault of the God-awful network T-Mobile UK and not those of the handset itself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm on my 4th iPhone5 if, one I broke myself and all the others were genuine faults with them.
    Had to speak to a special department in Apple the last time one was replaced. Still the best phone out there, wouldn't dream of changing.

Advertisement