Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 is a piece of sh#t

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They charge for the express delivery of a new iPhone to you and then you send them back your faulty iPhone to the same courier the same day or whenever is most convenient. €29 I think it is.

They only charge for the express option where you get the replacement first. Otherwise they send UPS to collect it, and return your replacement to you, again via UPS. They don't (nor shouldn't) charge for this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When you do get the express service, any replacements of the replacements will be sent express and you won't have to pay again. It's nearly worth the extra few euro, it's an excellent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I'm on my 4th iPhone5 if, one I broke myself and all the others were genuine faults with them.
    Had to speak to a special department in Apple the last time one was replaced. Still the best phone out there, wouldn't dream of changing.

That last sentence doesn't accord with the rest of what you just told us. Surely they're supposed to work. That, or you just seem to just blindly purchasing these things for their name. Which makes little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

du Maurier wrote: »
    That last sentence doesn't accord with the rest of what you just told us. Surely they're supposed to work. That, or you just seem to just blindly purchasing these things for their name. Which makes little sense.

The difference is his phones seem to be breaking but they get replaced. You're paying for the service. My phone is perfect bar the battery isn't getting as many hours than it used to. Instead of being stuck with a dodgy phone forever, I'll just get apples great customer service to replace it for a perfect new phone.

Apple charge a lot of money for things but provide a better experience IMO. You call up and get a really chatty nice person who just sorts things out for you and tries to make it as painless as possible in my experience. My previous phone wasn't an apple product and the service and experience reflected that.

With apple you get the name, a beautiful looking phone which "just works" and when it doesn't just work then you send it back and hey presto it just works again. Drop your iphone in the sink? apple replace it for 180 euro. Phones aren't about benchmark scores, it's about their functionality and the user experience. Everyone who holds an iphone should be able to appreciate the feeling that yes it does feel like it is worth the huge price. And if you can't appreciate that then you simply hate apple, just because it's apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

whiterebel wrote: »

@Dingding - Are you sure the rattle wasn't the well known one up around the camera? If thats the case there is nothing wrong with it, and why they didn't want to change it.

No, the new phone has a rattle around the camera, the old one it was a substantial rattle with something large moving about. From the web it bore all the hallmarks of a loose battery.

When you pressed the screen it temporarily stopped.

• Advertisement

They do work brilliantly, I just got unlucky, can happen with any phone. Its nothing to do with name, it's got the most polished OS of any phone.

The difference is his phones seem to be breaking but they get replaced. You're paying for the service. My phone is perfect bar the battery isn't getting as many hours than it used to. Instead of being stuck with a dodgy phone forever, I'll just get apples great customer service to replace it for a perfect new phone.

Apple charge a lot of money for things but provide a better experience IMO. You call up and get a really chatty nice person who just sorts things out for you and tries to make it as painless as possible in my experience. My previous phone wasn't an apple product and the service and experience reflected that.

With apple you get the name, a beautiful looking phone which "just works" and when it doesn't just work then you send it back and hey presto it just works again. Drop your iphone in the sink? apple replace it for 180 euro. Phones aren't about benchmark scores, it's about their functionality and the user experience. Everyone who holds an iphone should be able to appreciate the feeling that yes it does feel like it is worth the huge price. And if you can't appreciate that then you simply hate apple, just because it's apple.

Why is this an automatic assumption, as though you sternly have to defend with this sentiment? Maybe others choose not to have this particular OS and don't hate Apple. Those notions can exist seperately. It really should be as simple as that in my opinion.

If people hated for reasons you describe then they're clearly simpletons.

I agree with you on the user experience and its importance etc., but getting into the "everyone who holds an iphone..." adulation is a step too far.

Why is this an automatic assumption, as though you sternly have to defend with this sentiment? Maybe others choose not to have this particular OS and don't hate Apple. Those notions can exist seperately. It really should be as simple as that in my opinion.

If people hated for reasons you describe then they're clearly simpletons.

I agree with you on the user experience and its importance etc., but getting into the "everyone who holds an iphone..." adulation is a step too far.

Are you saying that you think iphones don't feel valuable? I've held a lot of the high end android phones and they feel nice but anything less than the flagship models feel cheap to put it simply.

The post was clearly not for you if you insist that others can just have other OS's. I completely agree with that, what I don't agree with is people who say that iPhones aren't worth the premium price. They have a huge perceived value which is what I was alluding to as being very important in a top end consumer phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I don't like Apple.

I will admit, that the iPhone 5 does look and feel good. €700 ? No. Perhaps €400.
    It does feel more valuable and strong than the S3 or S4, but the HTC One beats it in this regard IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

I don't think you should blame the company, no product is perfect, from ANY company. You just got the bad side of the stick

• Advertisement

Prodigious wrote: »
    I don't like Apple.

I will admit, that the iPhone 5 does look and feel good. €700 ? No. Perhaps €400.
    It does feel more valuable and strong than the S3 or S4, but the HTC One beats it in this regard IMO.

I can't comment on the HTC one but I'll take your word for it. The iphone will hold its value though. I had an iphone 4 for two years, bought it for 580 euro. Sold it to my sister for 300 euro and she sold it a few weeks ago for 250. I see samsung galaxy S3's being sold on adverts now for 300 euro. They're a lot newer than the iPhone 4, and although I'm not at all sure my guess is that they originally sold for a fairly comparable price.

Because iPhones aren't based on benchmark results there is only a rush to upgrade for increased functionality and aesthetics. On the android people seem to upgrade for mostly functionality and the fact that their phone will have an 8 core processor. iPhones stay pretty and androids get outdated.
    I'm happy to be able to do everything I need to do on my phone and go home to my monstrously powerful pc to do things that actually require it.

Next time I'm changing phone I'll choose whatever gets me a full day of battery, without having to mess with turning push emails off and lowering the brightness. I'm no apple fanboy but their phones are great

EDIT: Sorry this is descending into apple vs the world. The argument has been done to death by me already and the rest of the world and it never works out so my opinions are above and I don't really want to keep arguing so we can agree to disagree on the everything.. on the topic of this thread apple have great customer service which warrants the extra price. now I'm done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

I have an ordered iPhone 5 which will be coming this week, So excited, However hope I made the right decision!

They do work brilliantly, I just got unlucky, can happen with any phone. Its nothing to do with name, it's got the most polished OS of any phone.

Yes, they do. I don't want to get drawn in comparing other operating systems so I'll leave that aside.

All I was merely noting in this thread was that you needed to get 4 of them. If it was something else (of anything in the world:)) you'd have quit after the second one I'm sure.

I'm just looking at the general populus' blind faith in a label, in particular this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I can't comment on the HTC one but I'll take your word for it. The iphone will hold its value though. I had an iphone 4 for two years, bought it for 580 euro. Sold it to my sister for 300 euro and she sold it a few weeks ago for 250. I see samsung galaxy S3's being sold on adverts now for 300 euro. They're a lot newer than the iPhone 4, and although I'm not at all sure my guess is that they originally sold for a fairly comparable price.

Sadly you're correct. This is due to the wide range of ever improving android phones on the market. The iPhone appeals (not exclusively) to the "non tech" people who want a so called "top of the range phone". There is only one brand of apple phone, so it will always retain a slightly higher value, despite its inferiority in specs.

Are you saying that you think iphones don't feel valuable? I've held a lot of the high end android phones and they feel nice but anything less than the flagship models feel cheap to put it simply.

The post was clearly not for you if you insist that others can just have other OS's. I completely agree with that, what I don't agree with is people who say that iPhones aren't worth the premium price. They have a huge perceived value which is what I was alluding to as being very important in a top end consumer phone.

No, I wouldn't say that at all. Definitely aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but somewhat toy-like in my opinion:) The iphone 5 with a bigger screen is an improvement looks-wise as I'm a fan of larger screens.

A perceived value is what's amiss here. Not a true reflection of anything really.

Anyway, I'm not gonna suck the life out of the thread going off on a tangent.

Yes, they do. I don't want to get drawn in comparing other operating systems so I'll leave that aside.

All I was merely noting in this thread was that you needed to get 4 of them. If it was something else (of anything in the world:)) you'd have quit after the second one I'm sure.

I'm just looking at the general populus' blind faith in a label, in particular this one.

If it was an android/Nokia it would have taken weeks not days to get the phone replaced, Apple made it as painless and quick a service as possible. It's the best service I've received ever from a phone manufacturer. Granted I had to pay a premium for it but to me it was entirely worth it.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Sadly you're correct. This is due to the wide range of ever improving android phones on the market. The iPhone appeals (not exclusively) to the "non tech" people who want a so called "top of the range phone". There is only one brand of apple phone, so it will always retain a slightly higher value, despite its inferiority in specs.
    The inferiority in specs is matched by the fact that every app on the app store (yes the app store which is supported heavily be the increased price) just works. Now something that I do have the experience of is people waiting for things like vine to be ported to their specific flavour of android. Because android phones come in all shapes and sizes the apps can't simply be scaled to work on the hardware.

You're right about non-tech people wanting an iphone because they think it's the best, when in most cases a 500 euro cheaper phone would do them. It's a silly phenomenon but it's everywhere in the world. Read: brands, perceived value
    No, I wouldn't say that at all. Definitely aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but somewhat toy-like in my opinion:) The iphone 5 with a bigger screen is an improvement looks-wise as I'm a fan of larger screens.

A perceived value is what's amiss here. Not a true reflection of anything really.

Anyway, I'm not gonna suck the life out of the thread going off on a tangent.
    The iphone is far from a toy in fairness. The rounded plastic of a lot of the android phones is far more toyish if you want to go down that route, and the toyish nature of tweaking and fiddling an android phone is quite far removed from the very business like demeanor of the iphone. IMO moot point.

Perceived value is everything on items like this. People are forking out big money to buy something which they have on them all the time. Like an expensive watch. Sure a 50 euro watch can keep time accurately, and hey maybe some of them may tell the date too. But a 500-1000 watch's price is still justified by a lot of people because, well, it's their watch.

Just like judging cars by their spec sheets and 0-60mph times, judging a phone by benchmarks is wrong. Sure, a phone may be faster than another, but user experience is what is important. Everyone who gets an iphone has an iphone, which are all across the board lovely to use, the UI is getting stale but hey that's going in autumn anyway. Whereas everyone who goes to android has so much choice to customise this and that and everything that really in the end of it you don't have a unified experience with anyone else. Anyone can pick up and iphone and just take a picture or send a text. Getting through the menus on some flavours of android is like trying to operate controls on a space ship. I have handed my grandmother my phone before and she was able to work out how to use it. More importantly my father was able to use it, and he's still trying to get to grips with his nokia, which has had the same UI for about 10 years. The standard nature of iphones isn't a complete drawback. Apple have a team of people who create the ui to try to benefit most people. Yes being able to customise it yourself is good, but are you sure you'll do a better job than the people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars? Evidently yes in some cases, but for the most part I just see people choose different fonts on their android phones. It's the techy people on both sides who do the only customization that matters, and lets face it that's really not what matters with items like phones which are created to be sold to the masses

*wipes sweat from brow*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They only charge for the express option where you get the replacement first. Otherwise they send UPS to collect it, and return your replacement to you, again via UPS. They don't (nor shouldn't) charge for this service.

That's what I just said.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Aodhagan wrote: »
    That's what I just said.

Sorry, it should have been quoted against Guil's post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sorry, it should have been quoted against Guil's post.

I should of said I was referring to the normal repair rather than the express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jiggers77

Its mad we are told that the problems we present to Apple are a "common Fault". If there so bloody common then why cant they fix them rather than giving out new devices with a different problemm. I have had nothing but trouble with my iphone 5. They just seem to be programmed to throw up problems every few months so that you have to fork out the readies to get it sorted and keep some techy guiy ion the shops in a job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've had my iPhone 5 since February. No problems whatsoever. I never had any issues with my 4S or 3GS either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Have my iPhone 5 since launch in September and no bother with it, have been with apple for the past 4 years and never had trouble with my phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ditto. My iPhone 5 is the best smart phone on the market, streets ahead of the Android rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Piliger wrote: »
    Ditto. My iPhone 5 is the best smart phone on the market, streets ahead of the Android rubbish.

That's a very obtuse/fanboyish comment.

I love both Android and iOS. Each have their benefits over the other. I tend to chop and change depending on my needs.

Currently mulling over a Galaxy S4 - price, screen size, OS openness and micro SD being my main concerns at the moment.

Not pushed on this version of iPhone, but will see what the next generation (not 5s) has to offer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Had my iPhone 5 since launch no problems, had an iPhone 4 since launch before that with no problems and my bro continues to use it with no problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've had my iPhone 5 since February. No problems whatsoever. I never had any issues with my 4S or 3GS either.

Have had mine since March, absolutely no issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Well, i'll be heading back up to Belfast Apple store again tomorrow to get my phone replaced (again)

Hopefully it wont be another dudd :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Cale wrote: »
    That's a very obtuse/fanboyish comment.
    No ... FACT.
    I love both Android and iOS. Each have their benefits over the other. I tend to chop and change depending on my needs.
    That's cos you're just blind to the things that matter, and indecisive. :D
    Currently mulling over a Galaxy S4 - price, screen size, OS openness and micro SD being my main concerns at the moment.

Not pushed on this version of iPhone, but will see what the next generation (not 5s) has to offer. :)
    You're beter off with an Android. You clearly don't really understand what makes a great smartphone.:confused:

Advertisement