Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A vent - the Spire - animal cruelty this morning

• 16-06-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm sad. In fact I've been feeling nauseous all day. You know why? This morning, on 'East Street North', just next to the spire, right opposite Dunnes, there's a phone box. And this morning, there was a pigeon. One which had no head. Its head was lying a short distance from the body. I didn't know what to do - it obviously wasn't an accident as there was no lines above or anything which could have caused such an accident. And there was a *bleeping* red thing from the top of its body, which wouldn't have been there if it was a case of flying into a stupid line or something which would have caused a 'clean decapitation'. Which means somebody caused this? What is somebody supposed to do in this situation? There was a load of people who walked past this, include a mother pushing a pram..

My question is - 'what is the 'etiquette' for this?!?! How is somebody supposed to respond? Is there any reason this could have occurred without a human being involved? And is there any laws which would 'get someone done' if it was a human who caused it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The one legged pigeons are common enough; I think it's territorial or something. I'm taking that the red thing you speak of was a bone? Odd. Possible hit by a vehicle or something?

Hard to prove animal cruelty if no-one saw it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

I've seen plenty of pigeons with one leg. But I was talking about a lack of a head, not leg..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

obviously a broken mechanical pigeon

theyre more common than youd think

explains the red bleeper on it

very rare to see a broken one though theyre extremely hard wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm sad. In fact I've been feeling nauseous all day. You know why? This morning, on 'East Street North', just next to the spire, right opposite Dunnes, there's a phone box. And this morning, there was a pigeon. One which had no head. Its head was lying a short distance from the body. I didn't know what to do - it obviously wasn't an accident as there was no lines above or anything which could have caused such an accident. And there was a *bleeping* red thing from the top of its body, which wouldn't have been there if it was a case of flying into a stupid line or something which would have caused a 'clean decapitation'. Which means somebody caused this? What is somebody supposed to do in this situation? There was a load of people who walked past this, include a mother pushing a pram..

My question is - 'what is the 'etiquette' for this?!?! How is somebody supposed to respond? Is there any reason this could have occurred without a human being involved? And is there any laws which would 'get someone done' if it was a human who caused it?
    Odd, I've seen pigeons with their heads ripped off a lot recently around Frederick St. North and OCS. Thought it was odd myself as it didn't look harmed in any other way than its head was detached. I would have expected from a fight with another bird or animal that it would have looked a bit more messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I work around that area, the other day I saw a pigeon being attacked by a seagull, apparently its mating season for them and they get very territorial. So i'd wager it was a gull that did it, as for the red bleeping thing, no idea what that could have been

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Looks like Dastartly and Mutley finally got it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

They're flying rats, annoys me to see people feeding them in North Earl Street.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What was the bleeping thing?.. (this has me puzzled).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Was it dead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Uggggh, typical of this country...

We've got no food, no money, OUR PIGEONS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Sorry, the bleeping thing was in fact me hiding a swear word, and not in fact a thing which was bleeping. Yeah, freaked me out a bit, the fact that it hadn't even mildly eaten or anything, just assumed a person must have done it. Well, hopefully it was a seagull and not some kinda new pastime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sorry, the bleeping thing was in fact me hiding a swear word, and not in fact a thing which was bleeping. Yeah, freaked me out a bit, the fact that it hadn't even mildly eaten or anything, just assumed a person must have done it. Well, hopefully it was a seagull and not some kinda new pastime.

What was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What was it?

I could be wrong but I think the OP means it was a bit of the pigeons internals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is there any reason this could have occurred without a human being involved?

Yes. Peregrine falcons decapitate pigeons. They scoop the brains out, it's their favourite part of the body. There's a good few nesting falcons on the taller buildings around the city, I have seen one tear the head of a pigeon near temple bar very early in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

God damn flying rats, they're a plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I only wish people were this concerned about the animal cruelty they practise every day to eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I only wish people were this concerned about the animal cruelty they practise every day to eat

But lambs taste so nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry, the bleeping thing was in fact me hiding a swear word, and not in fact a thing which was bleeping.

Bollox :(
    Well, hopefully it was a seagull and not some kinda new pastime.

Maybe the seagull was bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

And what cruelty would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Where do animal rights activists stand as regards animal-on-animal cruelty? Peregrine Falcon/Seagull ripping pigeon's head off = ok... humans ripping pigeon heads off = bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What would you have us all do so? Starve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Either a predator or a car accident, I'd say. I find it odd that the OP would leap to the conclusion that it was animal cruelty despite not having seen what happened to it. Every time I see a squashed cat on the side of the road should I assume it was jumped up and down on by thugs rather than just hit by a car?

o1s1n wrote: »
    What would you have us all do so? Starve?
    Not at all; we should turn the world into a grain and soya monoculture, render cattle, chickens, turkeys, and sheep (to name a few) extinct as there'd be no economic reason to keep the millions of them currently alive, and then we can continue pricing native South American peoples out of the market for the quinoa they've been relying on as a staple for millennia; don't they know that upper class europeans need some way to replace the proteins that they're too ethical to get by eating meat?

Personally I blame Enid Blyton. She's the one who started this anthropomorphising that has kids refusing to eat meat because Peppa Pig is their friend. An unhealthy relationship with food, if you ask me. Take the little blighters to an actual farm I say; one up-close look at the stinking, sweating mass that is a full grown pig would soon get things right in their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spidermensch

Must be one of those so called 'meth heads' that I've been hearing so much about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thread serves absolutely 0 purpose. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement