Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What oil do u use?

• 16-06-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

well i just wanna share my experience...

i ride 954rr and previously honda oil filter and generic engine oil used by garage - i think yamalube was the brand - anyway. bike was grand before, sometimes the shifting wasnt the best, but i never noticed something wrong.

untill i decided to go for k&n oil filter and MOTUL 5100 ester- synthetic 10w40

jesus mother f... what i change. i did the job by myself and after about 20 miles or so i started to notice some change. i mean seriously i never though that quality engine oil could even make that. my bike changed and is like it never was. she is silent, singing and i can feel her really smooth and the most difference is shifting. its like totaly different bike. i event went crazy on her and still it was like i am riding different bike.

all i wanna say is that motul is my choice. i used before mostly castrol. but this is what i will always use since now.

what oil r u guys running and whats your experience? can u feel the difference or am i dreaming here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Yep I have been using Motul 5100 ester ever since I got the fz6. I did notice the same changes after my first oil change. Since I change the oil and filter regularly I haven't noticed any difference since that first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

used semi synth 10w40 on the old fzs.

aren't most fully synth oils wasted on bikes bar the high end sportbikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

halfords semi synth 10w40 didnt notice nay difference between that and the motul semi that was used last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tescos semi synth 10w40, generic filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Tescos semi synth 10w40, generic filter.

tesco's do bike oil? (oh hang on you have a dry clutch in the bmw...doh!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

serious3 wrote: »
    tesco's do bike oil? (oh hang on you have a dry clutch in the bmw...doh!)

I was kinda kidding.

Depending on the bike and my finances I'll either go very cheap or best recommended.

Going right against the grain for the first time in over 20 five years biking I paid for a service on the BMW recently simply because it needed a full service, alternator belt, final drive oil change, clutch and brake fluid levels were done too ~ I don't have a garage 'nor did I have the time so I bit the bullet and paid :eek:

Plus the bike came with a full service history from BMW and its a lovely bike (I'm trying to justify the spending now :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Bought some Castrol Power1 4T 10w-40 oil today.

Need to change the oil but im having trouble finding something to drain the oil into that will fit under my bike.

Any of the places ive gone to find something their oil containers are too tall.

I might end up getting a Tupperware container from tesco. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Need to change the oil but im having trouble finding something to drain the oil into that will fit under my bike.

Cat litter tray!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I use one of those large detergent bottles, one side is cut off, it's a 6 ltr one. Make sure the cap is not loose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I bought a proper container - it will last u foverever. Around 10e from halfords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I had a look in Halfords. They only have a 6 litre container but its too tall to fit under the bike.

All the other ones are open tops so you cant seal them when you are done.

I need something I can seal and easily carry to the oil disposal place but large enough to do for a few oil changes.

Ebay has loads of them so might just order one online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I used Yamalube on my FZ6 and it felt better then the other brands I used....never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I had a look in Halfords. They only have a 6 litre container but its too tall to fit under the bike.

All the other ones are open tops so you cant seal them when you are done.

I need something I can seal and easily carry to the oil disposal place but large enough to do for a few oil changes.

Ebay has loads of them so might just order one online.

an old roasting tin to temporarily catch it. then once you've filled up the bike with the new oil - pour the old oil into the container the new stuff came in (prob need a funnel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I used Yamalube on my FZ6 and it felt better then the other brands I used....never had a problem with it.

not trying to be smart, but i never had troubles as well, but untill i tried motul i never knew there is something wrong, or something to improve.

anyway Gary looking forward for spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

uses the mars celebrations plastic tin meself for oil changes,tis perfect for the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Whatever my mechanic sticks in it. Can't say for certain, but it is one of RockOil, Motul or Castrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I always use Motul 5100 10w 40 It s good oil.
    Castrol is overpriced, you are paying for the advertising IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I assume that Yamaha dont make their own oil so its more then likely castrol or some other **** re-branded. I am gonna use Castrol or MOTUL next service on the Sprint.

Advertisement