Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man held as four stabbed at mosque in Birmingham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Turban-tulent times...
    I'd like to sheik the hand of the cop injured while making the arrest.
    Right, back to work, mosque go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Police Officers are conducting patrols in the area in a bid to reassure local people, a spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said.

Reassure people of What?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's very strange indeed. Thankfully the 4 injured are okay.

I wonder what caused it
    Turban-tulent times...

That's appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Birmingham has huge problems with ethnic ghettos, and racial tensions between Asian ghettos and Black Ghettos. Ward End is the former, and this is probably just another of the many racially aggravated attacks that happen all the time there.

Strange, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

old_aussie wrote: »
    Reassure people of What?
    That the EDL won't firebomb the mosques.

The attack sounds fairly personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Turban-tulent times...

I've never read more terrible puns in one post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

brummytom wrote: »
    Birmingham has huge problems with ethnic ghettos, and racial tensions between Asian ghettos and Black Ghettos. Ward End is the former, and this is probably just another of the many racially aggravated attacks that happen all the time there.

Strange, though.
    Did you read the report? It includes
    BBC Midlands correspondent Peter Wilson reported: "All lines of enquiry are being investigated, but this does not appear to be a hate crime attack."
    On what basis do you categorise it as a "racially aggravated attack"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did you read the report?

To be fair the BBC website updates the story as they get more info.

The OP posted the link several hours ago and the police were investigating if it was a hate crime back then.

Now it's been updated at 8:34 and the article has changed.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Police Officers are conducting patrols in the area in a bid to reassure local people, a spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said.

Reassure people of What?

That a crazy dude running around with a machete will be caught before killing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Muslims in the uk have to expect a backlash after the recent murder of that poor soldier though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Muslims in the uk have to expect a backlash after the recent murder of that poor soldier though?

Why? Did they all sign off on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

just like the Irish during the troubles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nodin wrote: »
    Why? Did they all sign off on it?

Well...."They" appear to have high profile senior clerical figures who are are more than willing to "sign-off on it" on their behalf....

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10461395.Extremist_preacher_claims_murdered_soldier_will_burn_in_hellfire/

In the parallel militant jihadi universe,which Mr Choudry,and others,wish to see becoming our own he speaks for Islam and makes no bones about it.

Whether those Muslims who disagree with this Senior Cleric's views,challenge them is relevant to how "they" are percieved by the societies they inhabit.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well...."They" appear to have high profile senior clerical figures who are are more than willing to "sign-off on it" on their behalf.....

There is no Sunni church in the way theres a catholic church. Secondly, choudray has no training or qualifications from any madrasa, so I'd like to know where you get the notion he's a "senior clerical figure" from.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

just like the Irish during the troubles?

Pretty much yes.

Pretty much yes.

So if a random protestant/jew/buddhist kicks me in the shin, it makes sense for me to kick the next one I come across in revenge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Nodin wrote: »
    So if a random protestant/jew/buddhist kicks me in the shin, it makes sense for me to kick the next one I come across in revenge?

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

"a man of somali appearance"

what the **** does that even mean :confused:

a black, an asian, a white, an arab, didnt realise somalian was so instantly recognisable :confused:

wait maybe he had a patch on his eye and parrot on his shoulder and said arrrrrrrrrr?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

was that not revenge for the Muslim grandfather that was murdered walking home from a mosque two weeks before the British army terrorist was killed in woolich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

IM0 wrote: »

a black, an asian, a white, an arab, didnt realise somalian was so instantly recognisable :confused:

wait maybe he had a patch on his eye and parrot on his shoulder and said arrrrrrrrrr?

It means just what it says and it makes perfect sense if you have encountered many Somalis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

You can't tell what Somali appearance is? Are you slow? Let me help: black, skinny. Dear lord some of ye are bordering on insane PC-wise.

was that not revenge for the Muslim grandfather that was murdered walking home from a mosque two weeks before the British army terrorist was killed in woolich?

No, it was not. It was for Iraq/Afghanistan.

the_syco wrote: »
    That the EDL won't firebomb the mosques.

The attack sounds fairly personal.

The attack was by a Somali guy. Who I suspect was not in the EDL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm surprised that particular aspect was reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brummytom viewpost.gif

Strange, though.
    Did you read the report? It includes

Quote:
    BBC Midlands correspondent Peter Wilson reported: "All lines of enquiry are being investigated, but this does not appear to be a hate crime attack."
    On what basis do you categorise it as a "racially aggravated attack"?
    .-.-.-.--.-.-.--.---.---.--.---.--.---.--.--.--.--.--.---.--.-.--.--.-.---.-.--.-.--.-.--.

Surely he didn't do it because he loved them :confused:

Advertisement