Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealers call for help...again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Surely the better way would be to either remove the year altogether, or else increase the period of the plate to 18 months or even two years rather than a year or 6 months as it is now? The problem that dealers have at the moment is that everyone wants as new a plate as possible; to me the solution would be to lengthen the time to the new plate rather than shortening it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

VRT has it's part to play also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

SIMI are under the misconception that people still have money to blow on a car, the days of fools adding the car to their mortgage are long gone.

In 2012 there were 76k new cars sold in Ireland with our population of 4.5 million. In the UK 1.1million new cars were sold with their population at 62 million. For 2012 we were pretty much bang on the UK figures, I wouldn't be expecting there should be a diference.

You sure of your figure of 1.1m car sales in Britain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

New UK car registrations in 2012 rose to a four-year high, figures released today confirm. Sales jumped 5.3% in the Olympic year compared with 2011 – to 2,044,609 new cars, the largest percentage increase since 2001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You have no proof or basis for your argument imo.

excuse me, but yes I do, I'm a motor trader, and theres plenty of cash out there in certain sections of society. I sell cars weekly of all prices to all sorts of people, and there is no shortage of cash......lots of people pay me in cash from savings..... thats my experience, whats yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

ted1 wrote: »
    There should be no stimulus to entice people to borrow money for the quickest depreciating asset you can buy.

Well that puts an end to my hope of buying a house so. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can sleep in your car but you can't race your house. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

MidlandsM wrote: »
    excuse me, but yes I do, I'm a motor trader, and theres plenty of cash out there in certain sections of society. I sell cars weekly of all prices to all sorts of people, and there is no shortage of cash......lots of people pay me in cash from savings..... thats my experience, whats yours?

I agree with you, plenty of people still have money. And from what we have seen so far this year more and more people are deciding to spend it. So maybe things are finally starting to head in the right direction!

Having savings and being able to afford to blow them on frivilous purchases like new cars are two very different things. The way things are at the moment if people have money saved away then they are going to hold onto it in the fear that it may be needed at some point in the near future.

Thats not to say that there isnt anyone who can afford to buy new cars, nor is to say that nobody is willing to dip into their savings, but society as a whole has gotten a lot more conscious about our spending than we were a few years ago, and this is where the drop in car sales is coming from. I know of countless people who went from changing their car every 1-2 years to making a conscious decision to buy a car with a view to keeping it for 5+ years now.

I agree with you, plenty of people still have money. And from what we have seen so far this year more and more people are deciding to spend it. So maybe things are finally starting to head in the right direction!

Totally agree George, but you see here there's lot of speculation and hear'say going on here on boards, but a real lack of informed comment and experience like we see every day.

also, this whole thing about people being cautious,well hello, of course they are, but the real reason new cars are not selling, is the lack of finance to those who are in jobs, even steady jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

ohhh, but how wrong you are, there is plenty of people with lots of cash hoarded away, thing is, they're just not spending it!

I agree with this. I know plenty of people with plenty of money, they're just being careful spending it or spending it abroad. This idea that nobody has any money is naive and a tad ridiculous. There's money there, it's just not being injected into the Economy...:)

166man wrote: »
    I agree with this. I know plenty of people with plenty of money, they're just being careful spending it or spending it abroad. This idea that nobody has any money is naive and a tad ridiculous. There's money there, it's just not being injected into the Economy...:)

+1

totally, only today I was given 10k in cash for a car after they spent 5 mins looking at it..........lots of cash out there........lots....

the amount of uninformed comment here is crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

+1

totally, only today I was given 10k in cash for a car after they spent 5 mins looking at it..........lots of cash out there........lots....

Just because they paid in cash doesn't mean it's savings

Just because they paid in cash doesn't mean it's savings

they told me it was their savings, because they could'nt get finance from
    permanent tsb where they bank even tho both of them are working in decent steady jobs.

+1

Just out of interest, for every person who spends €10k in cash on a car how many do you think there are who might have done the same a few years ago but are deciding to hang onto their money and hold onto their cars longer now?

djimi wrote: »
    Just out of interest, for every person who spends €10k in cash on a car how many do you think there are who might have done the same a few years ago but are deciding to hang onto their money and hold onto their cars longer now?

good question dj, my experience over 2012 and this year is, that its these people who put their car buying and life on hold over the last 4 or 5 years, holding onto their cash and building savings...........but now, they're had enough, and want to get on with life and live again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

none here has taken into consideration the number of people unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Funny how these same arguement are not taken in to account when people are buying televisions or other goods. Presumably everyone here works for 100% irish owned companies selling only irish produced goods.

No nothing like that.
    I have no problem with what anyone spends their money on or what they spend their money on.
    I just don't think the government should be incentivising spending money on a specific product over a different product.

Is the tax on cars too high? Yes it is. However if we reduce vrt on cars, we're just going to end up having to increase taxes somewhere else.

Maybe people would rather property tax was increased, in order to allow a reduction in vrt? I wouldn't and I don't even own a house to pay tax on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Irish people and their obsession with car registration numbers...the amount of crap that is going on and is written in newspapers just for a stupid set of numbers, dealers calling misconceptions about registration numbers etc...what the hell, this is still a brand new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Pre tax prices mean feck all to be honest.

What matters is what you "actually" pay for the car after taxes have been added.

I never said they were - i was merely correcting an incorrect statement. Of course all that matters is final retail price.

bmstuff wrote: »
    Irish people and their obsession with car registration numbers...the amount of crap that is going on and is written in newspapers just for a stupid set of numbers, dealers calling misconceptions about registration numbers etc...what the hell, this is still a brand new car.

poeple are starting to realise that it it looses roughly 7k of its value the second they accept the keys,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Passed along the Long Mile Road today passed the VW garage out there and saw a long row of 131D VWs parked in the forecourt.

Hope they sells them this week.

Dod they not realise that this 131 deal would bite them in the bum? Car dealers now have another sales deadline that they never had before. Why pre-register cars you cannot sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

djimi wrote: »
    Depreciation on a car is guaranteed.

I can only agree with that statement insofar as the moment a car is first sold, it loses value, like everything else. However, plenty of cars are worth far more now than when they were first sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The uk have similar or higher rates of new car buyers, are they chasing reg numbers too or just us? Maybe people just like having nice things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

The uk have similar or higher rates of new car buyers, are they chasing reg numbers too or just us? Maybe people just like having nice things?

I did not comment on buying new cars, nothing wrong with that, I commented on the fact that a large part of the population will hold up 6 months for buying a brand new car just to get a newer number instead of buying right now even though they could.

Ah yes only in Ireland, in the UK they would wait for a few months because there is a facelift model coming up, new engine etc.
    Here it is all about the digits on the reg plate. Even if the car does not have buttons on the steering wheel to adjust the radio, does not matter as long as the car has the latest number on the reg.

could it be that a trade that is obsessed with numbers is trying to use numbers to make numbers more attractive, to add more numbers to their bank accounts, hopefully you are not as confused as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Its an odd mentality really. But its deeply cut into peoples heads. When my friend got married last year, he was driven to the registry office in a Golf, but the "12 D" was mentioned before the Golf. Same thing last week when his employer rented him a car. It was a "12 D" car he said.

Its a false sense of status for most. Sure you might have the new plate, but nobody else really notices/cares. Plus, the car might have been lying around the warehouse for a year, or more without being registered. The new plate doesn't mean the car was built on the date of registration.

My baby is a 97 and i love it. Was never caught up with the reg plate on my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    This is true.. it's ridiculous that you can't get a car serviced on a Saturday (whatever about Sundays - but if they're that stuck for cash it should be offered to customers too)..

...serviced on a Saturday - you can't even BUY a car on a Saturday in Galway !! Apart from Audi, they're closed !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You have no proof or basis for your argument imo.

Actually we do: the 3 main banks recently lobbied the Dept of Finance and got them to reduce the amount of interest paid by the State directly to savers in An Post accounts - they complained they couldn't compete with the State and that they were losing deposits to the (other) State Bank - An Post savings accounts.

Lobby 1: http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0513/world/banks-lobby-for-an-post-to-cut-deposit-rate-231090.html
    Result 1: http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/banks-slash-interest-rates-for-savers-by-40pc-29267381.html

Looks like the banks and SIMI use the same lobbying techniques..........
    Imo people just can't afford to be buying uneccesery new cars in a time when new taxes and charges are being introduced and when other taxes are being hiked.

What ever money people have left is going to more important things than new cars. Simi don't seem to get this.

True - but only because of the gap in new/used prices. We're still buying shed-loads of imports, so we are spending the money - just not in new ones. If new ones were more reasonable (and I lay this entirely at VRT/VAT btw), I'd buy one tomorrow. I'm spending the money as-is, just on older stuff, so my net outgoings wouldn't be any different. Or, to be 100% correct: they wouldn't be if I could get a deal on a new(er) one I'd be happy to pay.

But I'm done lining the pockets of the State - if I have to spend 1k on something, I'd rather put it in the pocket of local business than hand it to the State.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hi George - they are spending - selectively ! ;)

Ode To The Motorist

Car dealers now have another sales deadline that they never had before. Why pre-register cars you cannot sell?

...that's easy: sales volume rebates / bonuses. Been doing it for years.

Say you buy the cars at a certain price. Now, if you buy 50, you get them at a certain price. If you buy 100, you get a better price. Let's say at the 50 level they cost you 10,000. At the 100 level they cost you 9,500.

Now, a few days left to the end of the measuring period (let's say June this year), you've sold 95. You will have paid 10,000 for each of them.

The way it works is this: the 95 cars you've bought so far have all been at the "50" price - 10,000 - and here's the incentive to make sure you sell 100: if you DO sell 100 by the end of the target period, you get all 100 cars at the "100" price. The distributor/mfr will retrospectively apply the higher discount if you reach the higher sales target to the entire 100. Which means that if you sell the magic 100, you get to pay 500 less per car for each of the 100 cars. That's a rebate cheque to you, from the manufacturer/distributor, of 50,000. Which, in our example.........is 5 cars for free.........

To qualify, or prove you sold 100, you have to provide the registrations.

In theory, you could sell those pre-reg cars for a huge discount to punters - or give them away free even - to get them off the lot, and the dealer will still make as much money on the 100 in toto, as he knows the rebate will come in. Win for dealer. Win for people prepared to buy pre-reg's.

Have a look at 'below dealer invoice pricing' as they call it in the US. They can show you an invoice from the mfr for more than they're selling it to you, and you get a deal. In reality there's a big bonus cheque in the ether to come off that, providing he hits his sales numbers. Over there it's a calculated gamble by the garage sometimes. He might be doing that on car 10, a long way from the 100, just to shift volumes. But that's his problem. And it's huge business in the UK too.

And if you're selling say, Clio's and shift the extra 5 to make the magic 100 figure, you just know that that's 5 people that won't be buying Polo's/Ibiza's/Yaris etc etc.............you've taken those 5 punters out of the loop for the next 3/4/5 years.

And that's a Wwin' for the mfr..........who'll not doubt proclaim a 'shift' in the market to 'value' and their brand......

It's psychological warfare, I tell ya !! :D

And now, thanks to SIMI-myopia, you can do this twice a year !! :) (C)arma, huh ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

Having money and deciding to buy a brand new 20-30k car are 2 different things. big engine, 5+ year old cars are a better 'investment' for some.

goz83 wrote: »
    I can only agree with that statement insofar as the moment a car is first sold, it loses value, like everything else. However, plenty of cars are worth far more now than when they were first sold.

There is a tiny minority of cars on the road that are worth more now than when they were sold first, and Id be amazed if any of them are less than 20 years old. With very rare exception, when someone buys a car they are going to lose thousands when they go to sell it.

The housing market is completely different; if I buy a house now in a rising market then its entirely possible that I could sell it in a years time for a profit. Property, unlike cars, does not depreciate in value solely based on age.

good question dj, my experience over 2012 and this year is, that its these people who put their car buying and life on hold over the last 4 or 5 years, holding onto their cash and building savings...........but now, they're had enough, and want to get on with life and live again.

But how many of those people, who a few years ago might have bought a new car every year or two, will now buy a new car with a view to keeping it for 3-4 years minimum?

Anyone that I know who used to buy a new car every year or two has now seemingly come around to the realisation that losing several grand every year or couple of years for the sake of having a slightly newer reg plate on the car is not a wise use of their money. I know that there are still quite a few out there who can afford to change their car annually and who will do so, but for the majority who could afford to do so a few years ago the reality is that the money is no longer there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

I love the Irish reg system, it encourages people to get new cars to keep up with the neighbors. Now if only we could change the majority of cars sold to petrol we'd be sorted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hello, this is the gubberment.
    We are in now way influenced by SIMI, nor do we make concessions at the drop of a hat.
    But seeing the terrible plight that this enormously vital industry is in, we have decided to issue every citizen in the country with a voucher for a brand new car!
    All hail SIMI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Hello, this is the gubberment.
    We are in now way influenced by SIMI, nor do we make concessions at the drop of a hat.
    But seeing the terrible plight that this enormously vital industry is in, we have decided to issue every citizen in the country with a voucher for a brand new car!
    All hail SIMI!

..unfortunately, that car is a Dacia Duster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

..unfortunately, that car is a Dacia Duster.

Better still comrade, we could build the visionary Irish car suggested by a previous poster: the shamrock

GreenShamrockCalifornia.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Better still comrade, we could build the visionary Irish car suggested by a previous poster: the shamrock

GreenShamrockCalifornia.jpg

Ah, the Shamrock. You can tell it's an Irish car by the fact that it weighed 2 tons but was powered by a 1.5 liter engine. It should have been a screaming success here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

ted1 wrote: »
    There should be no stimulus to entice people to borrow money for the quickest depreciating asset you can buy.

While I agree on a personal level - from an ideology perspective, to suggest this though is very naive indeed. Capitalism is based entirly on such ideas. If the cash doesn't come from the top down then eveyones poor. If ordinary purcahsing power requires constant stimulus then the system is broken. Change the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Please lets go back to (largely) meaningless numbers and letters.

Other than writing IRL on them, every "improvement" made to the plate since 1987 has been a badly though out complication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here's their latest one..

Drive to kickstart car sales with new 'swappage' plan

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/drive-to-kickstart-car-sales-with-new-swappage-plan-29352169.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

From Blazers link:
    Sales this year are heading for a miserly 68,000 but even that figure masks an implosion in real retail buying. When pre-registrations, rentals and company car purchases are excluded, the number of private buyers is likely to be under 30,000 – a level that can't sustain an industry.Sales this year are heading for a miserly 68,000 but even that figure masks an implosion in real retail buying. When pre-registrations, rentals and company car purchases are excluded, the number of private buyers is likely to be under 30,000 – a level that can't sustain an industry.
    Surely that is just blatant scaremongering? surely a large whack of UK car sales is company cars/rental companies? and what is wrong with pre-reg cars? presumably VRT/VAT is still full price on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.. .which will in turn cause sales to drop further. If someone is thinking of buying a 132 they may well now hold off until after the Budget in case there is a deal announced which could save them money if this deal passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

How can a stimulus package be realistically considered when it won't be stimulating anything? Less people have the cash to buy new cars, availability of credit is minimal, it makes zero sense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have a look at the bangernomics thread. Good cars going for next to nothing just because they are old. In fact they are so cheap that it makes sense to buy one for a year or two and not bother investing in maintenance, just wait till it conks out and then go and buy another.

All this 'swappage' will do is create more candidates for bangernomics. Push the secondhand market further down.

When the VRT was cut drastically in July 2008, to the delight of SIMI, guys bringing the 2 year old Mercedes for a new cheaper 2008 model discoverd their pride and joy, well maintained, pristine, two year old car had depreciated by 50% because the new model was so cheap. SIMI was up in arms about it. and car sales suffered.

So if this 'swappage' scheme is brought in for 5 year old cars, what happens to the cars swapped and what happens to 6 year old cars, and older ones?

We have too many cars in the world however there is a shortage of good 5 year-old cars here as there was a slump in sales in 2008, but a surplus in 2004 - 2005 cars.

Older cars require more spent on them and people should be helped to keep them on the road. The new NCT rules (yearly testing) have them being disposed of because the price of the cars falls to nothing. It would be better for the economy to ease the cost of running an older car by reducing the road tax on older cars.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the bangernomics thread. Good cars going for next to nothing just because they are old. In fact they are so cheap that it makes sense to buy one for a year or two and not bother investing in maintenance, just wait till it conks out and then go and buy another.

Whilst I see what you're saying, its not the same debate, you're comparing apples to oranges there Sam.

Whilst I see what you're saying, its not the same debate, you're comparing apples to oranges there Sam.

What I am saying is that there are too many cars already. I can see perfectly good cars parked up in peoples drives around here that are no longer wanted by the current owner, worth next to nothing on the second hand market, and yet too good to scrap.

There in no economic sense in kick-starting the German, Korean, or Japanese motor industries just to give a few bob to the guy in a suit in a dealers showroom. Give the incentive to the guys in the blue overalls round in the service areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

:V Stealers ay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

When are the SIMI going to realise the days of changing ones car every couple of years are over, people are trying to keep their houses and pay their bills. The need to stop looking to Govt for help and try and come up with a business model that works in todays environment.

When are the SIMI going to realise the days of changing ones car every couple of years are over, people are trying to keep their houses and pay their bills. The need to stop looking to Govt for help and try and come up with a business model that works in todays environment.

and when are people here going to realise that the SIMI are just a lobby group of muppets ....nothing more.........and their job is to lobby, just like the Constrruction Federation and all other industry lobby groups.....

and they'll continue to lobby.........big deal.......but they're not getting a membership fee from me to keep them in their blazers and dinners out doing fcuk all ....... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement