Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare Card Question & 457 to PR - Employer Benefits

Options
  • 16-06-2013 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've been on a 457 with my current employer for almost 2 years and I'll be applying for PR in a few months (ENS 186 Temporary Residence Transition). I'm considering asking my employer to contribute towards the visa costs so I'm currently doing up a list of savings for the employer.

My employer currently pays for private health insurance for me but if I get granted PR, I'm entitled to Medicare so that's a big saving for them straight away. However, I'm not sure how soon I can apply for a Medicare card - is it when my PR visa is granted? When I lodge my application? When I lodge the employer nomination part of the visa? I couldn't find any info on the web about this.

Apart from the health insurance saving, I'd be saving my employer the cost of a flight to get me back to Ireland at the end of my 457. Are there any other savings that my employer gains from me moving to a PR visa? Or even any non-monetary benefits for the employer?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

You can apply for Medicare as soon as you lodge your PR application. The difference is they give you a blue card instead of a green card. When your visa is approved you then go into a Medicare office again and they give you a proper green Medicare card.

I can't really think of any other monetary benefits but you could say once your future in Oz is secure then you will be even more confident and content in your work when the reality is that you will be free to leave your employer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cheers jockey, that's exactly the info I was looking for. When applying for the visa, I will be lodging the employer's nomination part first and when it's approved, I'll send in my individual part. Can I apply for the blue Medicare card once I lodge the employer's nomination part or do I have to wait until I send in my individual part?

Yeah "employee satisfaction" was the only other benefit I can think of. I realise this is a pretty optimistic request by me but I'm on very good terms with my employers (I've worked for them for year, both in Ireland and in Australia) so it's worth a try asking. Worst they can do is say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I am not entirely sure as I went for a state sponsored visa but I would think you would have to wait until you submit your part. My reasoning behind this is that the Medicare card is for you not your employer and Medicare asked me for my visa application when I applied.

Well if you don't ask you won't get. I would assume though that they would probably put a clause in your contract stating that if you leave within a specified time that you would have to pay back some it. Who knows though maybe they might not be familiar with these types of visas!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Cheers jockey, that's exactly the info I was looking for. When applying for the visa, I will be lodging the employer's nomination part first and when it's approved, I'll send in my individual part. Can I apply for the blue Medicare card once I lodge the employer's nomination part or do I have to wait until I send in my individual part?

You have to wait until you get the application acknowledgement letter to apply for the Medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My employer currently pays for private health insurance for me but if I get granted PR, I'm entitled to Medicare so that's a big saving for them straight away.
    They don't have to pay for health insurance if your on a 457, so they could make that saving whether you go for ENS or not.
    I will be lodging the employer's nomination part first and when it's approved, I'll send in my individual part. Can I apply for the blue Medicare card once I lodge the employer's nomination part or do I have to wait until I send in my individual part?
    You don't have to wait for the nomination to be approved before you lodge your application. You can lodge both together,

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    They don't have to pay for health insurance if your on a 457, so they could make that saving whether you go for ENS or not.

You don't have to wait for the nomination to be approved before you lodge your application. You can lodge both together,

Thanks Mellor - I know they didn't have to pay for private health insurance - it was a 'welcome bonus' type of thing that they gave when I was first offered the position. They initially offered it because I was not entitled to Medicare.

I also realise that I can lodge the nomination and application parts at the same time - something I might still do. The reason I'm considering getting the nomination part done first is that, if for some reason the nomination was refused, I'd lose the money for everything ($3600) whereas, if I apply separately, I'm only risking the nomination cost ($540). The nomination waiting time is usually much shorter than the application wait time anyway so it's not that much longer on to the overall waiting time. If I was applying through an agent, I'd do both at the same time but I'm being a bit more cautious doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks Mellor - I know they didn't have to pay for private health insurance - it was a 'welcome bonus' type of thing that they gave when I was first offered the position. They initially offered it because I was not entitled to Medicare.
    I got what you meant, I was just throwing out lines that HR might hit you back with. Be prepared, etc
    I also realise that I can lodge the nomination and application parts at the same time - something I might still do. The reason I'm considering getting the nomination part done first is that, if for some reason the nomination was refused, I'd lose the money for everything ($3600) whereas, if I apply separately, I'm only risking the nomination cost ($540). The nomination waiting time is usually much shorter than the application wait time anyway so it's not that much longer on to the overall waiting time. If I was applying through an agent, I'd do both at the same time but I'm being a bit more cautious doing it myself.
    Good point. You've worried me now:(

Following on from my OP, I put the question to my employer a few weeks ago asking if they will pay for the nomination and application parts of my visa ($3600 total) and I'll pay for the medicals/police certs myself. They came back to me yesterday saying that they'll pay for it! :D I can't believe it!! They also agreed to continue paying for my private health insurance until such time as I am officially entitled medicare. Thanks for all the help

Advertisement