Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mizen to malin unsupported

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Bennybeau wrote: »
    Folks as you can imagine its the height of the tourist season and accommodation is pricey. Where might be a good option round Goleen or even closer to Mizen itself?

Got new cassette 11-28 and handlebar bag came in the post so nearly ready to go. Nice long ride tomorrow with the bags fully packed to finish off prep and two days of recovery before the big trip starting Wednesday.

Already in thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97384756&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

I made it.

Got home this evening.

Day 1 (10k out to Mizen) 14k from Mizen
    I started by travelling down by train to Cork and by the 237 from Cork to Goleen.
    No problem bring the bike down although Bus Eireann charged me a tenner for the privelege!
    I cycled from Goleen to Mizen on Wednesday evening took a few photos and then returned via the coast road.

I stayed in The White House B&B. Lovely B&B and a great breakfast (I asked or Porridge and an omelette)
    There was also some banana bread there too which was fantastic.

Day two: Goleen to Killarney via Caha pass and Moll's Gap. 111K
    I ate in Eddie's and stayed in Neptunes Hostel. Top class and very well located.

Day three: Killarney to Lahinch 112K
    I realised that I had left my chamois cream behind in Kenmare the day before.
    Quick trip round to O'Sullivan's bike shop on high street. Left Killarney at 10:30, up to Tarbert via Castleisland and Listowel.
    Got the Ferry to Killimer and from Killimer I went cross-country to Cooraclare and on to Quilty before heading up the coast to Lahinch.
    I stayed in the Lahinch hostel, ate in Tasty and had a few drinks in Kenny's.

Day four: Lahinch to Galway via Cliffs of Moher, Lisdoonvarna, Ballyvaughan. 101k
    Stayed with friends, ate in Kinvara along the way.

Day five: Galway to Athlone. 76K
    Late start after the night before.
    Went via Claregalway, Abbeyknockmoy, Mountbellew, cross-country to Ballyforan, Brideswell, Athlone.

Day six: Athlone to Cavan. 92K
    What can you say, up the N55, few hills nothing serious.
    Stayed at home.

Day seven: Cavan to Letterkenny via Enniskillen, Kesh, Castlefinn, Castlederg, Convoy, N13, Letterkenny. 130K
    Stayed in Apple hostel (Basic but warm, no breakfast). Ate in The Warehouse, (Gallagher's hotel)

Day eight: Letterkenny to Malin head via Buncrana, Cardonagh. 84K
    From Malin head I raced back down the road to Malin town to make a bus to Derry at 12:30pm. 16K

In all I cycled 722 point to point but in total travelling to and from both heads I travelled 747. My Garmin only missed about 2k at most over the 8 days of travel.

Great adventure.

Brought two sets of gear, a pair of ingerless gloves, a light pair of runners, two pair of socks, two pair of boxers, 1 casual t-shirt, 1 pair of casual cargo shorts, voltarol, nurofen) a knee support, an ankle support, (both of which I didn't use), antihistamines, a small travel wash set (mini shower gel, hair gel, shampoo, deodorant toothpaste, toothbrush,) a pair of latex gloves (in case I got a puncture)

To carry this gear I had an Altura handlebar bag and a small cycling backpack from either Lidl or Aldi.

In a saddle bag I had a multitool two tubes, a repair kit and a CO2 inflator (not by choice, forced purchase in Kenmare as I had forgotten my pump).

In my top tube bag I carried my old phone (music) bars and gels.

Definitely do-able.

I updated facebook every night and strava/garmin connect when I could get to a laptop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I made it.

Congrats! Did you book your accommodation in advance or just wing it, and did you hit any issues with having somewhere secure to leave your bike at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Well done, sounds like a great trip, fair play to ya for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

normal spin this morning, saw something that bates Banaher!, a numpty on the North Quays @ Croppy Park on a DB cycling whilst holding an umbrella! if only he had been on a unicycle juggling umbrellas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ccmp

Good man, well done. How did you get on with the backpack? Would you use the panniers next time?

smacl wrote: »
    Congrats! Did you book your accommodation in advance or just wing it, and did you hit any issues with having somewhere secure to leave your bike at night?

I booked everywhere in advance. Of the three hostels I stayed in two had bicycle sheds. For the other I locked it to some outdoor furniture. It was safe.

The B&B in Goleen had a garage. I brought the bike into the house in Galway.

For the B&B in Athlone I put it in a garden shed.
    Funnily enough when I booked I explained what I was at and what I would like for breakfast (porridge+scrambled eggs) I landed to the door and she says "Oh I didn't know you'd have a bike"
    Ah yeah-one of those bicycle cyclists😑

ccmp wrote: »
    Good man, well done. How did you get on with the backpack? Would you use the panniers next time?

Went with the altura handlebar bag and small aldi/lidl backpack. Didn't really notice it to be honest.
    I carried my heavier gear in the handlebar bag.
    Cycle gear and runners were usually carried in the backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Bloggsie wrote: »
    normal spin this morning, saw something that bates Banaher!, a numpty on the North Quays @ Croppy Park on a DB cycling whilst holding an umbrella! if only he had been on a unicycle juggling umbrellas!
    sorry folks, posted in wromng thread

Went with the altura handlebar bag and small aldi/lidl backpack. Didn't really notice it to be honest.
    I carried my heavier gear in the handlebar bag.
    Cycle gear and runners were usually carried in the backpack.

And just to add, I would use panniers, there's no need. I was able to wash stuff easily at the hostels too wh oh was a good help

• Advertisement
Advertisement