Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox freezing

Options
  • 16-06-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Anyone else encountering Firefox freezing a lot? For the last week or so it is unusable... it works for about five minutes and then becomes completely unresponsive. Closing and restarting fixes it but the cycle just starts again.

I tried disabling all of my addons and extensions, then I tried reinstalling it but I saved my data. And finally I uninstalled it and wiped everything and then reinstalled and still the same story.

Before I reinstalled the first time, the address bar search function wasn't working but that fixed itself on the new install. I've ran Malwarebytes and defragged my drive but nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The last time this happened to me I switched to chrome and never looked back. I tried all the same things you did to no avail... I'm interested in finding out what the cause of this is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This may solve it. Funny enough I had this issue with Chrome in the past also, think it's to do with the hardware acceleration

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Has happened me few times so stick with other browsers though ie is slow chrom is always freezing but safari and opera good but opera can freeze occassionally.

Update firefox or delete or uninstall software and saved files you dont need if you do back up on usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

yoyo wrote: »
    This may solve it. Funny enough I had this issue with Chrome in the past also, think it's to do with the hardware acceleration

Nick

Just stumbled on your post. Having the same problems. Gonna try it now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Thanks. Tried that but it's still happening. No idea what the problem is, I've been using Firefox for years and I've never encountered this before.

I have quite a sentimental attachment to Firefox but it may be time to ditch it for Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Certain sites used to give trouble for me and the flash would crash and would become useless

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/adobe-flash-plugin-has-crashed

Hasn't happened since thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I find it happens only when I have Facebook open. There seem to be some dodgy scripts running on the site that Firefox REALLY does not like. Unfortunately, other than running NoScript, which I don't like, I have yet to find a solution.

Advertisement