Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

test and clothing question

• 16-06-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

i have my A test in a few weeks in ballina, as its summer time will the tester expect me in full leathers or will a cordura armoured jacket, jeans and boots suffice? i want to make a good impression but i want to be comfortable as well. i've read that your attitude at the beginning has alot to do with your test!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pick up a pair of armoured textile pants too? Get a decent pair that come with removable thermal lining and you can decide each day what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tbh, I'm not sure if jeans would make a good impression.

All textiles or leathers would do the job imo.

I wore ATGATT - textiles and body protection underneath and had the jacket open when I went in to show the chest protector. ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

Personally I would wear as much protective gear as possible, Im not saying its right but it gives a better preceived impression. Although the tester is there to judge your riding not your fashion but still first impressions and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Textile without all the inner linings is perfect. Thats what I wore and when I was zipping up my jacket the tester asked my what that contraption was on my chest. I told him it was a chest and back protector and he spent 10 mins asking me about it....deffo did not hurt my chances of passing, which I did.

ATGATT including your TEST.

GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Jeans are not for motorbikes(unless they are armoured one, of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Don't forget a grubby l vest that looks used.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Wear what you normally wear on the bike, I wore jeans and passed first time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I would suggest full textiles or leathers, which ever you have. TBH its the first impression that counts. If they see you in full gear they know you are taking it seriously. Put it this way if you turned up in tracksuit bottoms and a bike jacket they might think this lad is having a laugh

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

thats what i was thinking as well, full leathers it is then thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I had a good chat with my tester after i passed and he said gear makes a huge difference in their impression of the rider and a bad initial impression will probably lead to a less forgiving attitude when it comes to marking your test.

Because i turned up with full gear and a down to earth attitude i passed as i was border line failing according to my tester.

You also have to remember that the instructor doesn't mark you as you ride. He needs to remember the ride and mark accordingly after the test finishes which leaves the marking very open to your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Oh also forgot to say best of luck with the test

I wore jeans, not a word said to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gear up, it's only an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pataman wrote: »
    Jeans are not for motorbikes(unless they are armoured one, of course)

And why might that be :confused:, I wore them for my test and passed without a word, I wear them all the time on the bike and no-one's ever remarked that jeans aren't for bikes until now.

OP Think more about your riding and less about your gear.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Jeans provide very little protection compared to textiles or leathers.

Pataman wrote: »
    Jeans provide very little protection compared to textiles or leathers.

True enough, armoured jeans aren't much better TBH but I don't see why they're unsuitable, not ideal maybe but more than up to the job.

I would disagree. IMO jeans arent suitable for bike riding. I have seen lots of pics of lads skinless knees and thighs, as a result of just nipping down the road with jeans on. I only wear textiles or leathers. I dont care how hot it is, I need all the skin I have

Jeans are fine for responsible riding balls out is another thing IMO.
    I've crashed while wearing jeans (including a bit of a slide) and walked away without a scratch, more than I can say for the racing gloves I was wearing at the time, I have a nice scar to prove this - leather gave between rivets and the skin soon followed, in comparison the jeans provided excellent protection.

I'm sure we've both seen the pictures but I've seen as many injured while wearing all the gear too, luck will always be the overriding factor in a crash IMO.

ATGATT is just silly for nipping down to the shops etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Getting back to the OP and what he actually asked.......

Wear the gear for your bike test.

A good impression by you on how serious towards your own safety put forward for the tester is allways worth it.

Dont forget your hi-viz vest too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP I doubt the tester gives a rats knackers what you wear, its not something I'd even consider ~ get your head around the test and don't worry about the fashion parade for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

OP I doubt the tester gives a rats knackers what you wear, its not something I'd even consider ~ get your head around the test and don't worry about the fashion parade for a bit.

@ took an instant dislike to me and I knew I was a goner prior to walking out to bike. Very bitter over the whole affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

@ took an instant dislike to me and I knew I was a goner prior to walking out to bike. Very bitter over the whole affair.

Sorry to hear that.

I'd also tend to disagree strongly.

My tester admitted to me that the test itself is only a small part of it, he said "a lot of it is about how you come prepared"...referring to several things. Overall, I got 0 ticks, a clean slate.

I would make a huge effort to wear protective gear and show as much responsibility as possible, even if it's fake and short-lived. It doesn't matter that it should have no effect on your final score -- what matters is that it probably will. Testers are people, and people are jackasses and form opinions and mark unfairly based on those. Doesn't matter if it's wrong, it's the way it is.

You've nothing to gain, but potentially something to lose, if you don't wear the gear.

Advertisement