Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding classes

• 16-06-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to breastfeed and know that a portion of the antenatal class myself and my husband have signed up for covers this topic. However, I have seen a few breastfeeding classes advertised and have a recommendation for one in particular. I am just wondering how beneficial people found these separate breastfeeding classes prior to the birth. The one that I've heard is quite good says its for expectant mothers and partners. How useful or necessary would it be for himself to be there? He would have no problem attending one but I'm wondering is there much to be gained by him being there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    I'm hoping to breastfeed and know that a portion of the antenatal class myself and my husband have signed up for covers this topic. However, I have seen a few breastfeeding classes advertised and have a recommendation for one in particular. I am just wondering how beneficial people found these separate breastfeeding classes prior to the birth. The one that I've heard is quite good says its for expectant mothers and partners. How useful or necessary would it be for himself to be there? He would have no problem attending one but I'm wondering is there much to be gained by him being there.

Hey Roesy,
    I've had a browse through the breastfeeding thread in the parenting forum, and pretty much everyone there has said that support in the form of classes, la leche league or cuidui (sp?) is absolutely invaluable, so I'll be seeking them out before the birth. As for having your partner along - well, if he's happy to go, then I would say bring him to one or two - it might help him to help you, if nothing else. Also, as first time mums, we're absorbing a lot of new info, so having a second set of ears can't hurt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I went to a breastfeeding class in the hospital before my baby was born and also met with people from my local la leche league. Both i found really helpful to both learn from and keep going when it got tough. I found the support and company of other mothers invaluable.

I didnt get my husband to come to the class in the hospital. I found it very mother focused but its entirely a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

I think a breastfeeding class would be invaluable. There are There are countless problems you can run in to when breastfeeding (eg, poor latch, over/under supply, blocked ducts etc) but most of these problems have an easy solution.

As you would be aware, breastfeeding rates in Ireland are very low but in reality 97% of women can actually breastfeed with help and support. The problem lies with women not feeling supported and being advised (by friends, doctors, people genuinely trying to help) that they have tried their best and just give the baby a bottle. For this reason, anything you can learn before baby comes and any contacts you can make would be trully helpful.

Having your partner there (even if just once or twice) so he can see how beneficial breastfeeding is to you & baby and also for him to perhaps get pointers on how he can help, would also be great.

Breastfeeding isn't easy but it is a trully beautiful thing you can do for your child - whether it be once, for a week, month or year! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think it is good for dads to see how much they can bring to the table with a breast feeding mother and baby.

We have the breasts, they have the support, reassurance, winding, changing, cleaning, the "you're doing great", the running interference against relatives who don't know better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

I think it's great your husband wants to go, and he should definitely go along. It makes him able to share in the feeding with you in whatever way he can, from helping with latching on at the beginning (and understanding about the let down reflex), to knowing what positions are comfortable and helping with cushions/support, to winding. He'll also learn what to expect in terms of how often you'll be feeding, any potential difficulties etc and can support you there also.

And I know a previous poster said it is difficult, but that's only when you are getting established. Persevering with your husbands help means that in no time you will be flying.

Once you get the hang of it too, you'll be able to express and your husband will be able to feed your baby too. Maybe at night!!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement