Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My annual 'Have I cocked it up' thread.. Red Onions

• 16-06-2013 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question about red onions that were planted very early this year.
    Many of them have sprouted flower stalks which I've removed. The onions seem to have grown up over the surface and look almost like giant red spring onions. Have I made a mistake on how deep they were planted or is the way they're growing almost across the surface with the roots submerged normal?

258443.JPG

258444.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just a quick question about red onions that were planted very early this year.
    Many of them have sprouted flower stalks which I've removed. The onions seem to have grown up over the surface and look almost like giant red spring onions. Have I made a mistake on how deep they were planted or is the way they're growing almost across the surface with the roots submerged normal?

Were they sets or seeds? I gave up with sets years ago, very little produce.
    Ive found seeds to be much better
    As I understand it, the warm spell followed by cooler wet weather can confuse the onions and they think it is autumn so start to flower to produce more seed. I was advised to nip off the flower buds and the onions would continue to grow.
    Yes they should only be 1 inch deep but just carry on now and see what happens. the crown is supposed to be above ground

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=growing+onions+pictures&id=F4DAC8F58D0DA482D1B0E061E6BFA2EED9B74F41&FORM=IQFRBA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingonions1.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Were they sets or seeds? I gave up with sets years ago, very little produce.
    Ive found seeds to be much better
    As I understand it, the warm spell followed by cooler wet weather can confuse the onions and they think it is autumn so start to flower to produce more seed. I was advised to nip off the flower buds and the onions would continue to grow.
    Yes they should only be 1 inch deep but just carry on now and see what happens. the crown is supposed to be above ground

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=growing+onions+pictures&id=F4DAC8F58D0DA482D1B0E061E6BFA2EED9B74F41&FORM=IQFRBA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingonions1.shtml

They were sets.. Ive had very little success in the little 2m x 1m raised bed I have out the back. Ive tried garlic and onions, yet there was always problems of some kind. Maybe its the weather over the past 3 summers but its frustrating.

Garlic is the one I'd really like to grow properly but no matter what I do to the soil, it hasnt worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any that have flower heads on them, just enjoy the flowers! As for the others, I'd say the season has not been good for them, and they are bolting (growing flower heads), if they are not showing signs of doing anything more you can still use them for cooking, and you might as well do that as they will not keep. They will probably have a solid stem up the middle when you cut them, discard it and use the rest.

What else could I grow from now until November when I start the crusade to grow a decent bulb of garlic again?

Lettuce and Spring onions are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Trotter wrote: »
    What else could I grow from now until November when I start the crusade to grow a decent bulb of garlic again?

Lettuce and Spring onions are in.

Beetroot, Spuds in bags, carrotts, Cauliflower, courgettes, pumpkins, and other squash varietys, French beans, runner beans, Kohlrabi (sort of turnip) peas , swede and turnips.
    Also sweetcorn but needs a poly tunnel

That should keep you busy!

Beware of pests especially on cauliflowers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Did you amend the soil with anything?
    Red onions appear to be trickier than white. Something like radar is a very reliable overwintering onion. Try these in September or October when the sets are available. Add some compost and general fertiliser and you should be good.
    What type of garlic did you try?

I tried just the normal garlic from my local garden centre. I knew the supermarket variety was a no no. Around February I put in a full bag of farmyard manure from the garden centre too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Hard to tell but it looks like they've been planted too deep. Can you recall your planting depth.
    I've had no problems over the years with onion and garlic sets. They've a deserved reputation for being easy.

Best to remove the flower stalks as soon as you see them. The flowers may look nice, but the bulb won't be a good eater.

Advertisement