Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wtf is wrong with people

• 16-06-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

lashing rain on friday aftnoon when i went to the shops in my wifes beautiful mgb, parked in the aldi carpark away from everyone else even tho its was lashing. i do this so people don't park next to me or ding the doors etc, came out and a big fffing jeep parked that close i struggled to get back in the car!! :confused: now i was a good bit away from the door and there were a lot of parking spaces closer. i can only summise that they wanted to look at the car or something. fast forward to today and its nice and dry and i notice a scuff in the paint on the drivers door ffs.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The joys of motoring ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

consider it lesson learned.... next time take photos of both vehicles and a photo of their insurance details ... small claim for the respray will wake them up to their bad parking.

the more people do this the higher premiums go - but the more people will be aware of their bad driving....plenty of people do not think its damage or even if they do ...ah, its only a scratch a bit of t-cut will sort that (might be true but it shouldn't have been caused and shouldn't have to be repaired if they drove/parked properly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

serious3 wrote: »
    lashing rain on friday aftnoon when i went to the shops in my wifes beautiful mgb, parked in the aldi carpark away from everyone else even tho its was lashing. i do this so people don't park next to me or ding the doors etc, came out and a big fffing jeep parked that close i struggled to get back in the car!! :confused: now i was a good bit away from the door and there were a lot of parking spaces closer. i can only summise that they wanted to look at the car or something. fast forward to today and its nice and dry and i notice a scuff in the paint on the drivers door ffs.....
    It's nothing to do with wanting to look at the car. It's only to do with sheep mentality. Someone else is there, so I'll park beside them. Happens me a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And that's why we can't have nice things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

They should just require everyone to have a body coloured foam pad on the sharp edges of the doors.

I hired a black Alpha GT in Italy a couple of years ago which had just that setup installed by the rental company.

They just had a small foam/rubber thing slid over the extreme edge of the door.

Not only couldn't you damage your own car, you also couldn't damage other cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I was driving on the N4 towards the M4 at Leixlip last month and some guy in front, in a Galway Reg Avensis, casually put down his window and emptied his coffee cup out the window, at speed, misting the contents over my windscreen.

I should have been annoyed but all I could do was laugh and remember Anchorman:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Surely there's a technical solution to this, when the door is open a piece of rubber could flip out over the door edge and retract as it's closing.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Surely there's a technical solution to this, when the door is open a piece of rubber could flip out over the door edge and retract as it's closing.

read post #6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They just had a small foam/rubber thing slid over the extreme edge of the door.

Not only couldn't you damage your own car, you also couldn't damage other cars.
    Aye. All cars used to have them back in the 90's, but they've just disappeared. They should be made mandatory, tbh, as it could down a lot on dings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No matter how careful you are or how far away you park from other cars there is always one who will park up against you. These people usually don't care about their cars or yours as most I have come across are driving rough heaps and don't blink an eyelid when they proceed to smack their door against yours.

If these motorists could only show a bit of respect for other peoples property there would be far more dent and scuff free cars in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

And they wonder why I always park across two spaces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

realy pisses me off 'coz i'm very careful where we park it because of this, its actualy gone thru the pain to the primer ffs pic attached its about an inch long. can't go back for cctv because it was friday aftnoon and i've only noticed it now.

realy pisses me off 'coz i'm very careful where we park it because of this, its actualy gone thru the pain to the primer ffs pic attached its about an inch long. can't go back for cctv because it was friday aftnoon and i've only noticed it now.

yes you can....most companies record on a weekly/daily basis and save the tapes for a couple of weeks....what harm will it do to ask anyway....go back and ask if they could make you a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Had my car two days, totally empty car park, people carrier parks beside me.

Few days later seen scuff in passenger door. Weather it was the dealers valet wearing off, or the people carrier, I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The problem is that so many Irish people have no regard for their own car, this translates into even less regard for other cars.. Its so sickening..

My wife works in a hospital and between staff and punters her car just gets constant marks.. We've grown to accept it at this stage. But it is very annoying..

Also.. The space allowed for parking spaces is just too small. I'd dearly love if they would make some of the spaces bigger for larger cars and those who respect their cars.. Fine - put them farthest from the entrance, but it would help !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with wanting to look at the car. It's only to do with sheep mentality. Someone else is there, so I'll park beside them. Happens me a lot.

Is that the same effect when you're having a sit down in the public toilets? You are the only person in there, and there's loads of free cubicles, but the guy feels the need to go into the one beside you?:D

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is that the same effect when you're having a sit down in the public toilets? You are the only person in there, and there's loads of free cubicles, but the guy feels the need to go into the one beside you?:D

Urinals are worse! Do they not know the "one gap" rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Max Power1 wrote: »
    And they wonder why I always park across two spaces!

This, **** anybody who says otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bottom line, the majority of people simply DO... NOT .... CARE.

Especially if they are driving an old banger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I bought a Jap import 3 years ago, it's a 2004 and didn't have a mark on it, it made it 6 years in Japan without being dinged, 3 years in this country and it's got tree bad dings, one for every year.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    This, **** anybody who says otherwise.

I mean dont get me wrong, I go to the back of the car park (or top floor in a high rise), But I dont want my shiny new car (new to me) being scratched by some scrote in a POS. Just because they dont care about their car doesnt mean I dont car about mine!

My other half was in a car park in in Cork City and this woman laden with Brown Thomas bags flung the door of her car open into her car while she was inside doing some paper work!

She said 'you'd want to be more careful opening your doors. You just flung your door into the side of my car!!'

The woman with the bags then started giving out her and wined at her 'there's no need to be so nasty and threatening' and kind of went off in some kind of huff!

My other half is really posh sounding and definitely didn't come across as threatening. She'd never use bad language or anything like that.

Some people just don't care about anyone else's property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Corkbah wrote: »
    consider it lesson learned.... next time take photos of both vehicles and a photo of their insurance details ... small claim for the respray will wake them up to their bad parking.

dosent prove anything, if is was that easy we could all be photographing the car parked beside us and try to sue for every scratch on our car! how may cars come and go in a carpark? there will be several different cars beside you in the course of an hour or two.unless u have it on cctv/witness forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bottom line, the majority of people simply DO... NOT .... CARE.

Especially if they are driving an old banger.

Never seen that to be the case, its never about an old car or a new car. Its just the person with no manners. Generally the worst parkers are really selfish oafs who will park right by the door of the shop, so staying further away is a the best thing to do and parking beside pillars. The other half will get used to the extra walk eventually :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Got the car around 2 weeks, was sitting in templemore main street waiting in the car and this one pulls up right bedside me and opens the door and "smacks" it off my car, it was only when I hopped out of the car she apologised.

In fairness Irelands problem is our parking spaces are all marked tiny. Just about the width of a car.

I hate taking up two spaces but I will always park in the furthest spot I can, chances of people parking next too me are minimal.

dosent prove anything, if is was that easy we could all be photographing the car parked beside us and try to sue for every scratch on our car! how may cars come and go in a carpark? there will be several different cars beside you in the course of an hour or two.unless u have it on cctv/witness forget it.

well if there are corresponding marks and photos of the both vehicles - it would be difficult for the offender to deny it could possibly have happened (of course being ignorant they may not have realised they were doing it)

the more people claim for damage done by a vehicle the more people will become aware of their own actions.... I pointed out to a woman in her mid 40's a few months ago that she had bumped the car behind her three times while parking (I heard the first bump from across the street and watched as she bumped again - each time it was a loud bump and cracking noises could be heard) ....anyway ..her response ... "is it your car ?" ... (NO) ... "then none of your business "

I left a note on the front of the other car....some people are just ignorant and people these days do not have respect....for other peoples property.

I am aware that the "claim" idea could easily be abused but more often than not it would be honest people claiming for damage done to their vehicle.

trouble is where the cars were parked you wouldn't see the actual impact just the jeep parking up next to me. i've worked hard to get what i have and this mgb was a present for my wife it was in mint condition till this and when i scratched the wing in the shed:eek:. i'm always very careful both in the main car and this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I can't believe the timing of this thread.

Yesterday I saw a nasty scuff on my car after coming out of a Hotel, I got very lucky as 95% polished and the plastic trim needs a small touch up. Bottom line is from now on I'll park it on its own or take two spaces before it happens again and im not so lucky. gobsh#tes

worst of it was i saw how close he was and thought " you better not have hit the door pal" had a quick look but it was absolutely hammering down and couldnt see anything, went out my head till i saw a piece of vegetation stuck to the door and when i picked it off i saw the mark. reckon i know who's isuzu pooper it is anyhow:cool:

• Advertisement

C4Kid wrote: »
    I can't believe the timing of this thread.

Yesterday I saw a nasty scuff on my car after coming out of a Hotel, I got very lucky as 95% polished and the plastic trim needs a small touch up. Bottom line is from now on I'll park it on its own or take two spaces before it happens again and im not so lucky. gobsh#tes

doing that is simply inviting abuse from someone and deserving of having your car damaged

doing that is simply inviting abuse from someone and deserving of having your car damaged

Eh no it isnt.
    Are you slow?

Eh no it isnt.
    Are you slow?

are you saying parking across two spaces is the correct way to park ?

have you ever complained on boards or elsewhere about someone parking across two spaces - I know I have and I get annoyed by the idiotic drivers who do this...its bad parking !!

are you saying parking across two spaces is the correct way to park ?

have you ever complained on boards or elsewhere about someone parking across two spaces - I know I have and I get annoyed by the idiotic drivers who do this...its bad parking !!

No, but it is the lesser of two evils. When done correctly (as I mentioned, only at the back of the car park or uppermost level of the high rise parkplace)

I would prefer to have a pic of my car in a bad parking thread than have some scumbag damage it!

No, but it is the lesser of two evils. When done correctly (as I mentioned, only at the back of the car park or uppermost level of the high rise parkplace)

I would prefer to have a pic of my car in a bad parking thread than have some scumbag damage it!

so you are saying its better to park badly across two spaces than to start encouraging people to be more aware of their parking.....education is the key to pretty much everything!!

you do realise that irate drivers have been known to key badly parked vehicles ...I've not seen it done but heard from two different guys that their cars had been key'd .... then I've seen their parking ....not saying if they deserved it or not, they could also have been key'd due to simple begrudgery - they were expensive enough cars and sometimes the drivers of said vehicles park in a manner that shows they dont care about anyone else.

parking across two spaces is wrong....I've come across idiots who have parked across two spaces in busy car parks and I've seen ever crazier idiots park alongside them....causing further problems for other motorists !!

so you are saying its better to park badly across two spaces than to start encouraging people to be more aware of their parking.....education is the key to pretty much everything!!

parking across two spaces is wrong....I've come across idiots who have parked across two spaces in busy car parks and I've seen ever crazier idiots park alongside them....causing further problems for other motorists !!

No, I'm saying my car is less likely to be scratched when I park across two spaces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

No, I'm saying my car is less likely to be scratched when I park across two spaces!

less likely to be scratched by another car maybe - but more likely to be scratched by an irate driver....and those key marks are usually deeper than any marks done by an idiot who opens their door into your car.

less likely to be scratched by another car maybe - but more likely to be scratched by an irate driver....and those key marks are usually deeper than any marks done by an idiot who opens their door into your car.

So they are entitled to scratch my car? It is right to do so?

Luckily I will be installing a dash cam (front and maybe rear too) so their actions will be recorded. Also perhaps the parking lot will have CCTV

Scratching a man's car, is NEVER ok. No matter what the circumstances.

So they are entitled to scratch my car? It is right to do so?

Luckily I will be installing a dash cam (front and maybe rear too) so their actions will be recorded.

The doors (which are most scratched part of a car) ...are not along the front or rear of the car...so a dashcam is unlikely to catch these type of people.

long story short ...parking across two spaces is wrong....and possibly illegal*.

*= not 100% but fairly certain its illegal.

The doors (which are most scratched part of a car) ...are not along the front or rear of the car...so a dashcam is unlikely to catch these type of people.

long story short ...parking across two spaces is wrong....and possibly illegal*.

*= not 100% but fairly certain its illegal.

It wouldnt catch them in the act perhaps but might catch them walking up or away. I also edited in the bit about CCTV recording them too.

I highly doubt it is illegal - private property white lines, no legal basis. Same way as Parent and Child spaces are not legally enforceable.

• Advertisement

It wouldnt catch them in the act perhaps but might catch them walking up or away. I also edited in the bit about CCTV recording them too.

I highly doubt it is illegal - private property white lines, no legal basis. Same way as Parent and Child spaces are not legally enforceable.

not all parking spaces are on private property....and as regards no legal basis ... the law is enforceable if it happens on private property too....less likely to prosecute but still enforceable, if it wasn't people doing wheel spins and "donuts" and drifting in car parks wouldn't try to get away when the gardai show up.

not all parking spaces are on private property....and as regards no legal basis ... the law is enforceable if it happens on private property too....less likely to prosecute but still enforceable, if it wasn't people doing wheel spins and "donuts" and drifting in car parks wouldn't try to get away when the gardai show up.

Yes, that is because privately owned areas to which the public have access are not classed as private property for some offences.

However, if I allow someone into my front yard after I paint some white lines on the floor, I cannot prosecute them for not parking within the lines. Whereas I could if they ran me over. Do you see the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

read post #6

That's just some DIY solution. I'm talking about a manufacturer solution that doesn't alter the appearance of the car when the doors are shut.

Yes, that is because privately owned areas to which the public have access are not classed as private property for some offences.

However, if I allow someone into my front yard after I paint some white lines on the floor, I cannot prosecute them for not parking within the lines. Whereas I could if they ran me over. Do you see the difference?

for some offences !!! didn't realise the law was so liberal.

you cannot prosecute anyway - thats the job of the DPP, Gardai, Solicitors and Barristers..... if you invite someone on to your land and invite them to park you can punish them for not parking within the lines - how else do you think private clamping companies are making profit year after year !! (I'm not agreeing with private clamping companies but until they are challenged in the courts they remain able to operate and earn money from people who badly park across two spaces) ..... if that person ran over you the Gardai/DPP could prosecute for dangerous driving or similar offences, you however would also have a civil action to take against the persons insurance company for his/her actions.

for some offences !!! didn't realise the law was so liberal.

you cannot prosecute anyway - thats the job of the DPP, Gardai, Solicitors and Barristers..... if you invite someone on to your land and invite them to park you can punish them for not parking within the lines - how else do you think private clamping companies are making profit year after year !! (I'm not agreeing with private clamping companies but until they are challenged in the courts they remain able to operate and earn money from people who badly park across two spaces) ..... if that person ran over you the Gardai/DPP could prosecute for dangerous driving or similar offences, you however would also have a civil action to take against the persons insurance company for his/her actions.

There are different categories of offences :rolleyes:

Clamping is a grey area legally. At best.

Can I contact AGS if someone disobeys my parking spots? No. That should answer your statement re legality.

There are different categories of offences :rolleyes:

Clamping is a grey area legally. At best.

Can I contact AGS if someone disobeys my parking spots? No. That should answer your statement re legality.

Clamping is generally as a result of people constantly badly parking (ie. across two spaces , parking on footpath, blocking access etc) .... no-one wants to introduce clamping but it is usually brought in by people because it stops bad parking.

as regards someone disobeys parking lines on your property that would depend on what they do...lets say the person ignores the lines completely and parks blocking the entrance/exit ...yes you can call AGS....of course all this is assuming you have the relevant insurance and create the private car park properly and you are registered and working completely within the law in the first place - because if you weren't you probably wouldnt want to call the gardai for someone doing this and could deal with it yourself !!

Anyway ... the point of this thread is about idiot drivers who are ignorant and damage vehicles using their doors ...and simply dont care about other peoples property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Apart from the obvious, parking space in Ireland are often simply too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Ford already have this as an option on the current focus.
    Google "ford focus door protector"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ford already have this as an option on the current focus.
    Google "ford focus door protector"

wow, thats pretty cool!

only problem is that it protects other peoples cars and still leaves your's wide open to inconsiderate **** heads.

that said, i was trying to load a 2.5m trampoline into the passenger seat of a yaris today in work with a car parked ether side of it and lets just say, doors were bumped.

the way i see it is stupid people sometimes deserve hardship. ****ing spa turns up in here piddly small yaris, with 2 kids, 3 child seats a bike and a scooter in it, pops her kids onto the back seat and says "can you get that onto the front seat". 26kgs and nearly 2 meters long in the packaging.

wouldn't fit into the front seat unsurprisingly but i bashed that trampoline off everything and ruined the car putting it in.

i work in a Tesco. *touch wood* never had my car bumped or anything in the work car park. always park it miles away from the door :)

Lads and Ladies, we need to petition Brussels!

it's exactly the kind of annoying regulation they'd implement!

• Advertisement
Advertisement