Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wtf is wrong with people

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

bbam wrote: »
    The problem is that so many Irish people have no regard for their own car, this translates into even less regard for other cars.. Its so sickening..

Same at car shows. I was at the mosney show last week and the amount of people leaning, pawing and poking at cars is shocking. It was a very sunny day and I noticed kids hand prints on numerous cars, no doubt their filthy paws covered in sun cream which is a right pain to remove.

Again if the parents have no respect their litter of runts won't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thankfully the c&p spaces are wider.

Awaiting the high horse brigade :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Corkbah wrote: »
    are you saying parking across two spaces is the correct way to park ?

have you ever complained on boards or elsewhere about someone parking across two spaces - I know I have and I get annoyed by the idiotic drivers who do this...its bad parking !!

Correct or not, Id sooner look like an asshole than have to shell out a few hundred quid to get my paintwork sorted. Blame society; if dickheads had more respect and didnt ding peoples cars then I wouldnt be forced to take preventative action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I read on this very forum a couple of years back that no matter where you park somebody always parks beside you. I tested it out in a couple of busy car parks, parking way down the back from the entrance of the business with no car around at all. Lo and behold, each time there were cars parked beside me, despite there being loads of spaces nearer the entrance where they could have parked.

So I asked the driver of a car parked beside mine in this instance why they had chosen to park beside my car rather then in a free space nearer the entrance. They replied that they needed space to park and it's easier to line up a car properly in a parking bay when there is a car beside them rather then try to get the car in between the lines on their own.

Idiot drivers like this made me stop testing the boards theory and just parking convenient to where I was going. If my doors are going to be dinged, I'd rather it happen in a parking bay that saved me getting soaked in the rain rather than a walk away.

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I read on this very forum a couple of years back that no matter where you park somebody always parks beside you. I tested it out in a couple of busy car parks, parking way down the back from the entrance of the business with no car around at all. Lo and behold, each time there were cars parked beside me, despite there being loads of spaces nearer the entrance where they could have parked.

So I asked the driver of a car parked beside mine in this instance why they had chosen to park beside my car rather then in a free space nearer the entrance. They replied that they needed space to park and it's easier to line up a car properly in a parking bay when there is a car beside them rather then try to get the car in between the lines on their own.

Idiot drivers like this made me stop testing the boards theory and just parking convenient to where I was going. If my doors are going to be dinged, I'd rather it happen in a parking bay that saved me getting soaked in the rain rather than a walk away.

I have a theory you could test. Park down the back where there are no others cars, but park crookedly and see if people still use your car as a parking guide. Personally i dont have the sheep mentality. I always try to park away from other cars. Scrapes and dings from idiots have cost me a fortune over the years. I take a little pride in my cars and i respect others cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I'll do that goz83 but something tells me that other drivers will still park alongside!
    I have respect for other peoples cars too, I don't appreciate dings and scratches and ensure that I don't cause these to others either.

Re: the parking across two spaces - In 2007 I bought a brand new car, was super proud of it and refused to park where it could be dented. Parked across two spaces in a car park for 3 hours, returned to have the whole drivers side of the car keyed. So it does happen. The car was red and the damaged paintwork stood out like a lighthouse. It cost 1200 to repair the paintwork, and even then I could see where it had been damaged.

I give up :mad:

dollybird2 wrote: »

Re: the parking across two spaces - In 2007 I bought a brand new car, was super proud of it and refused to park where it could be dented. Parked across two spaces in a car park for 3 hours, returned to have the whole drivers side of the car keyed. So it does happen. The car was red and the damaged paintwork stood out like a lighthouse. It cost 1200 to repair the paintwork, and even then I could see where it had been damaged.

I give up :mad:

Some people are just pure scum. Keying a car is one of the most malicious and pointless crimes. Its a crime deserving of broken legs imo.

At the same time, you are a lot less likely to get your car keyed than to get in scuffed when parking in most places. My car is back from the paint shop for the 3rd time this year thanks to idiot drivers. Each time was someone who couldn't park/exit their car without hitting mine. This is why i park wherever i can safely and legally, where there is decent space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Max Power1 wrote: »
    And they wonder why I always park across two spaces!

You that guy?:p

goz83 wrote: »
    At the same time, you are a lot less likely to get your car keyed than to get in scuffed when parking in most places.

This is the way I see it. I came back to my car a few years ago to find a dent twice the side of a tennis ball in the drivers door and a scratch that went half the length of the side of the car. This sort of damage is far more likely to happen than some scum taking the hump that you parked across two spaces in a far empty part of the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Corkbah wrote: »
    long story short ...parking across two spaces is wrong....and possibly illegal*.

*= not 100% but fairly certain its illegal.
    Not illegal.
    park crookedly and see if people still use your car as a parking guide
    Awesome idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I find people are less likely to hit my car in a tight parking spot than a wide one.

In wide parking spaces, children seem to tumble out of the car lashing the door up against the side of yours. In a tight place the door doesn't get ample momentum to do damage.

Also people tend to be more careful when parking and dont do the same crazy swinging in stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I love when you arrive back and see some ignoramus with his car door touching yours and as soon as you click the key fob they pretend their door isnt touching your car and slyly pull it away "STUNG"

ronan45 wrote: »
    I love when you arrive back and see some ignoramus with his car door touching yours and as soon as you click the key fob they pretend their door isnt touching your car and slyly pull it away "STUNG"

Happened to me before where some stupid arsewipe opened his door into my car door while I was sitting in the passenger seat. The look on his face when I opened the window and called him up on it was priceless. He was a lucky man that he didnt cause any damage to my car.

It also happened to my girlfriends mother; she caught the person in the act and thankfully got the damage repaired (cost several hundred quid I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I don't think it's an issue if the door is resting against your car, if was done slowly and carefully it won't cause any damage.

Unfortunately in Ireland it seems that everyone opens their car door with the speed and force of a hurricane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I don't think it's an issue if the door is resting against your car, if was done slowly and carefully it won't cause any damage.

Unfortunately in Ireland it seems that some people open their car door completely ignorant of other vehicles.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, it's called Lonely Car Syndrome. Happens all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

serious3 wrote: »
    lashing rain on friday aftnoon when i went to the shops in my wifes beautiful mgb, parked in the aldi carpark away from everyone else even tho its was lashing. i do this so people don't park next to me or ding the doors etc, came out and a big fffing jeep parked that close i struggled to get back in the car!! :confused: now i was a good bit away from the door and there were a lot of parking spaces closer. i can only summise that they wanted to look at the car or something. fast forward to today and its nice and dry and i notice a scuff in the paint on the drivers door ffs.....
    Where were the two cars relative to the white line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

ronan45 wrote: »

It's even more fun if you've got a panic key on your remote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there isn't a car door in ireland that doesn't have a dent from either a shopping trolley or some oaf swinging their door open to wide

par for the course i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Some people are just pure scum. Keying a car is one of the most malicious and pointless crimes. Its a crime deserving of broken legs imo.

At the same time, you are a lot less likely to get your car keyed than to get in scuffed when parking in most places. My car is back from the paint shop for the 3rd time this year thanks to idiot drivers. Each time was someone who couldn't park/exit their car without hitting mine. This is why i park wherever i can safely and legally, where there is decent space.

Keying is deliberate and likely to be deep, the scuff is likely to be far less serious. Parking across 2 spaces is inviting trouble. Park near a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

On the first week I bought scooby. I drove to town early in the morning to get a hair cut. Car park completely empty. After I came back I sow this. Some people are just fecking IDIOTS.

fa3fe7ad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Just buy a banger and bash your doors with wild abandon. Problem solved.

I would vouch that none of you have small kids - if you do you're mad if you have a pristine car. They tend to fling doors open and bash them off everything in the way, despite how many times you tell them to the contrary - I'm sure none of you ever did that when you were kids. I have older kids now and they are more or less trained. However I still always park away from other cars for that reason !!!!

I rented a BMW in England once and parked beside the sea at the far end of the carpark from everyone else as there was a £ 250 excess - lucky I paid the extra insurance to keep it that low.

Came back and the whole side of the car was scraped where someone drove against it - couldn't believe it. So it's not just here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Anan1 wrote: »
    Where were the two cars relative to the white line?

i was parked in a small little mg smack bang in the middle of the space and parallel to the lines, the jeep had driven in on full lock at an angle, in fact her wheel was sticking out that much i had to squeeze passed it to get to the door. i was a bit away from the door with at least two other spaces either side of me when i pulled in. seen her today and she just shrugged and said it wasn't her and she wasn't even there!!:( liary old bat, theres only one scruffy passenger green isuzu pooper with no tax and out of test in town that i know of.

i was parked in a small little mg smack bang in the middle of the space and parallel to the lines, the jeep had driven in on full lock at an angle, in fact her wheel was sticking out that much i had to squeeze passed it to get to the door. i was a bit away from the door with at least two other spaces either side of me when i pulled in. seen her today and she just shrugged and said it wasn't her and she wasn't even there!!:( liary old bat, theres only one scruffy passenger green isuzu pooper with no tax and out of test in town that i know of.

Any red paint on the rim of her door?

Any red paint on the rim of her door?

couldn't see as i was on the passenger side

couldn't see as i was on the passenger side

I would have checked. The old bat no doubt cleaned it off by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

theres only one scruffy passenger green isuzu pooper with no tax and out of test in town that i know of.
    Report her banger to whomever will listen? Also, have a peak and check if it's insured; although the Gardai sometimes turn a blind eye to tax and NCT if it causes them to do work, they won't ignore lack of insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I mean dont get me wrong, I go to the back of the car park (or top floor in a high rise), But I dont want my shiny new car (new to me) being scratched by some scrote in a POS. Just because they dont care about their car doesnt mean I dont car about mine!

I'm agreeing with you. :p , I ment **** the retards who complain. Complaints< scratches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

kona wrote: »
    I'm agreeing with you. :p , I ment **** the retards who complain. Complaints< scratches

Exactly

I mean I have driven banger(nomic)s for years and still I never scratched anyone's car from bad parking. I leave enough space between cars. Dont see why the general populous (mouth breathers and all) can't do the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

No, I'm saying my car is less likely to be scratched when I park across two spaces!

I see quite a few car parks are putting up signs ''park between the lines'' and another i seen was ''Park in two spaces pay for two spaces''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some idiot put a massive dent in the missus` yaris back door today. Got most of it out but will have to take the door card off to see what i can do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

HondaSami wrote: »
    I see quite a few car parks are putting up signs ''park between the lines'' and another i seen was ''Park in two spaces pay for two spaces''.

Now that is fair. And if they don't, they'll get two tickets/clamps. You want two? You pay.

HondaSami wrote: »

Even when you park over the line, you're still between the lines :p

And sure when did anyone ever pay attention to private parking signs ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I've had a few dents in both my cars from people hitting them.
    Someone reversed into the front of my astra and marked the corner bad got a good bit of the marks out of it but not all.

The focus has 3 small dings dents down the drivers door since I got it must be from people opening the door. Then there is a big scrap in the rear quarter panel nearly two inches long very deep. It used to really bother me but with my current car I have bigger worries than marks tbh.

and so it continues:( my previously unmarked jaguar s-type now has a scuff mark 6" long and 4" wide with a corresponding dent:mad: on the drivers rear door, it was parked in clifden square this evening for all of 5 minutes, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

This is a horrendous problem when you have a nice car you are proud of. Hence me buying pre-scratched cars. The youngest kid walked out of tesco and swan-dived across the bonnet yesterday. If I had somthing pretty, I would have had to kill him. Less shiny cars keep me out of jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

parked in a shopping centre on sat,father waiting in car saw a woman try to drive into a space and hit a parked car and drove off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

professore wrote: »
    Just buy a banger and bash your doors with wild abandon. Problem solved.

I would vouch that none of you have small kids - if you do you're mad if you have a pristine car. They tend to fling doors open and bash them off everything in the way, despite how many times you tell them to the contrary - I'm sure none of you ever did that when you were kids. I have older kids now and they are more or less trained. However I still always park away from other cars for that reason !!!!

I rented a BMW in England once and parked beside the sea at the far end of the carpark from everyone else as there was a £ 250 excess - lucky I paid the extra insurance to keep it that low.

Came back and the whole side of the car was scraped where someone drove against it - couldn't believe it. So it's not just here.

Child locks will stop them from opening them from the inside, and open the door for them when getting in. Don't see any argument to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Child locks will stop them from opening them from the inside, and open the door for them when getting in. Don't see any argument to it really.
    I've bought a few brand new cars - the first, a bullock jumped onto the bonnet within an hour of collecting it. The second, the missus borrowed it to go to work, a lorry reversed into it while it was parked. The third got rear-ended within the first month. I now buy older cars and straight away kick a dent in every door, spill coffee all over the dash and throw empty soft-drinks cans into the rear footwells. That way I stop caring. It's just easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement