Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying in USA

• 16-06-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

I am visiting the states next week and was planning on buying a 13' MBA 128GB and ATV. Is the price online the final price I will pay in the store or is there sales tax on top of it. The price online would be $1200. I am trying to figure what the actual saving would be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

depends on the state tax, you will probably end up saving in and around €200 from the Irish prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Yeah depends what county you buy it in but most will be around 8.5% Sales Tax.

Still works out cheaper than buying here though.

If you go through the online sales for the US store now and put in the address where you will be staying it should tell you the full price with tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

It will either be Florida or New York but most likely New York. I am looking forward to seeing the apple stores!

It will either be Florida or New York but most likely New York. I am looking forward to seeing the apple stores!

I bought my Macbook pro in Apple store on 5th avenue, very nice store.

It was on Black Friday so got another $50 off the price too

jamc wrote: »
    Yeah depends what county you buy it in but most will be around 8.5% Sales Tax.

Still works out cheaper than buying here though.

If you go through the online sales for the US store now and put in the address where you will be staying it should tell you the full price with tax.

just did it there it would be an extra 100 bucks or so!
    pogsick wrote: »
    I bought my Macbook pro in Apple store on 5th avenue, very nice store.

It was on Black Friday so got another $50 off the price too
    nice! just done the comparisons between prices....I would be saving around 250€ including bank charges for exchange. not to be sniffed at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sales tax is 8.875% in NYC, Florida state sales tax is 6% generally but certain counties and cities jack it up to 7.5%.

That means that you should buy in Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Buy on amazon to avoid the sales tax

hfallada wrote: »

just note that you will have to pay sales tax even on Amazon if it's New York

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

hfallada wrote: »

I wouldn't feel comfortable getting it sent to a hotel from amazon. Just incase something goes wrong and I have to get a flight!

I wouldn't feel comfortable getting it sent to a hotel from amazon. Just incase something goes wrong and I have to get a flight!

Actually looking at the amazon prices I could get the MacBook Pro

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD101LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B0074703CM/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371481251&sr=1-10#productDetails

For the same price as the MacBook Air

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD760LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B00746YPQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371483863&sr=8-1&keywords=MacBook+Air

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have you allowed for VAT and Duty in the event of being stopped by Customs?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Have you allowed for VAT and Duty in the event of being stopped by Customs?

No I haven't but I don't see it happening. I can throw away packaging and have the computer already set up to look like it is used.

Purchased in Miami Florida apple store for €894. Really liking it....so slick! The transaction was just as slick. i was talking to an apple employee and said i was going to go for a mba and he got hismphone out and started typing. I thought he was on Facebook or something but then he asked for my card which I gave and then I signed the screen on his phone and then another employee came up with my new laptop. I didn't move a foot during the whole transaction. I Won't have much time to play with it until I get back home in 2 weeks but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Sorry to hijack but I'm planning on buying a 13" mbp retina over here in NYC in the next few days, what kind of adapter will I need to get it to plug in and work back home in Ireland? Would them travel adapters what you plug the American socket into do the job or is there some kind of apple converter I need?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Would them travel adapters what you plug the American socket into do the job or is there some kind of apple converter I need?
    Travel adapters are fine, the MAC is multi voltage.

Or you can buy one of these when you get back...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Plug-Adaptor-Macbook-Powerbook/dp/B004WC6QWI

smurfjed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Duff wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I'm planning on buying a 13" mbp retina over here in NYC in the next few days, what kind of adapter will I need to get it to plug in and work back home in Ireland? Would them travel adapters what you plug the American socket into do the job or is there some kind of apple converter I need?

Cheers.

They're all 100-240V AC and 50/60 Hz so you've nothing to worry about. Buy a new power cable when you get home but chances are that you already have a spare cable from an old VCR or TV that will do the job. Keep the one that comes with the device for future trips to the US. Don't buy any adapters over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Normal adapter is perfect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Grab an an Apple world adapter travel kit while you're in the US. The US plug part of your mbp slides of the power adapter and you can replace it with the 3pin plug from the travel kit.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB974ZM/B/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit

You can by cheaper equivalents online but for the sake of $40 on top of the cost of the mbp I'd buy the Apple original.

Advertisement