Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

bumper234 wrote: »
    Oh YAY

Just what the thread needed. Another sarcastic illiterate troll to derail the debate with an asinine off topic comment.

Ignored.

Lighten up man! Haha see what I done there? But seriously you should expect a rippin for saying "I am so hard and look like a badass and no one would mess with me" on the Internet, I just wish our bmi was not so similar so I could mock you without felling guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

if you actually read the original post, the driver was "stationary" and not driving.

too many contradictions on this post. As I say would love the taxman to give his side of the story -

Did the taxi driver not declare the fare or something?

The plot thickens!

Who has been bitten in the ass? :confused:

The plot thickens further!

This taxi driver is incorrigible.

OP has to pay the TAXMAN, is it October already:pac::pac:

Damn, only seeing this now, touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Ormus wrote: »
    Did the taxi driver not declare the fare or something?

The plot thickens!

afaik you can 'negotiate' your fare with a hackney and in my experience the few times i've done that its worked out fine and the driver didnt' mind. a few times when i've had to get a taxi home (i usually get the nitelink) to swords, its approx. around 25e , i've had on occasion said to the driver will be around 20-25e which it normally is , anyway its never a bad idea to ask this especially if you're going to somewhere you're unfamiliar with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

leitmotiv wrote: »
    I gave the exact address to the dispatcher when I booked the taxi and again to the driver when he arrived. Plenty of time to look at a map, I'd have thought?

Yes...you asked to be taken to Mount Merrion, that was where he took you wasn't it?

He didn't know exactly where the address was but did he not say he would find it for you?

You can't blame him for you not knowing where you were going, and you expect him to know every little nook and cranny either.

Of course he over reacted to you, but you were in the wrong too. You should have paid instead of bad mouthing the way he did his job. You surely didn't expect him to let you away with not paying the fare did you?

Can you at least accept you did something that, while it may have been the intent, he took to be abusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yes...you asked to be taken to Mount Merrion, that was where he took you wasn't it?

He didn't know exactly where the address was but did he not say he would find it for you?

You can't blame him for you not knowing where you were going, and you expect him to know every little nook and cranny either.

Of course he over reacted to you, but you were in the wrong too. You should have paid instead of bad mouthing the way he did his job. Can you at least accept you did something that, while it may have been the intent, he took to be abusive?

How do you take that the OP was being abusive from this
    When I suggested that he should know local addresses or else use a satnav device or ask the dispatcher

???

No matter how many times people try and say it's not, it IS the taxi driver's job to know where he's going. The driver didn't make any attempt to find the address, except for driving around, running up the meter. It was completely acceptable for the OP to ask him to use a sat nav or phone the dispatcher.

How do you take that the OP was being abusive from this

???

No matter how many times people try and say it's not, it IS the taxi driver's job to know where he's going. The driver didn't make any attempt to find the address, except for driving around, running up the meter. It was completely acceptable for the OP to ask him to use a sat nav or phone the dispatcher.

I didn't say the OP WAS abusive, just that he may have done something that he did not thing was much but that the driver THOUGHT was abusive.

Again no-one can know every little corner of a place, that's unreasonable.

Look at the end of the day both were in the wrong, over reaction on both sides I would say.

I didn't say the OP WAS abusive, just that he may have done something that he did not thing was much but that the driver THOUGHT was abusive.

Look at the end of the day both were in the wrong, over reaction on both sides I would say.

If the OP is being honest, and the driver THOUGHT he was being abusive from what he said, then that is the driver's problem for being too sensitive. The driver is the one completely at fault here.

If the OP is being honest, and the driver THOUGHT he was being abusive from what he said, then that is the driver's problem for being too sensitive. The driver is the one completely at fault here.

At fault for over reacting yes. He shouldn't have spoken to the OP the way he did nor locked him in the car.

But the OP didn't help his case by commenting on the driver doing his job and refusing to pay.

It takes two to tango.

• Advertisement

At fault for over reacting yes. He shouldn't have spoken to the OP the way he did nor locked him in the car.

But the OP didn't help his case by commenting on the driver doing his job and refusing to pay.

It takes two to tango.

So you think the OP should have said nothing when the driver was driving around aimlessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Its not unreasonable when Sat Navs are available. The driver should have known the address or taken reasonable steps to find it before he took the fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It takes two to tango.

Why should he pay? In my job I would never expect anyone to pay if I didnt fulfil the terms of the contract. Service provides are paid to provide a service, they shouldn't be paid when they don't provide that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

London cabbies are expected to know the A-Z from Z-A, so to speak, and to pass an exam on it. Do you think Dublin is harder to get around or larger?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can everyone do us all a favour and actually read the OPs first post again pls.
    Every second reply is inventing things and then arguing about them.

The OP asked for a specific address that was in Mt Merrion.
    Taxis are not Ryanair, its not acceptable for them to leave you in the vicinity of your destination, especially if they have been circling & running up a bill for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Of course he over reacted to you, but you were in the wrong too. You should have paid instead of bad mouthing the way he did his job. You surely didn't expect him to let you away with not paying the fare did you?

Can you at least accept you did something that, while it may have been the intent, he took to be abusive?

it has been pointed out to you repeatedly that this is wrong - it's crystal clear from the OP that he had given the full address to the dispatcher. Other posters have quoted that post and other posts where this is made clear.

So WTF is wrong with you that you are still peddling this crap?

You can't blame him for you not knowing where you were going

Of course you can blame him, it's his job to know or find out quickly via satnav or other means.

If you went into a restaurant and got food poisoning from undercooked food sure you couldn't blame the chef :rolleyes:

They are both covered by the same law - sale of goods and supply of services act 1980

Just because they're covered under the same legislation, doesn't mean their treatment is exactly the same.

Could well be, but your point, although it looks impressive (yay, let's refer to an act), is actually relatively meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

vermin , all of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Can't believe there still people who think the taxi driver was at all right in this situation or that he deserved to be paid. Really hope it's trolls at play....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

That would be totally different, its difficult in this instance to compare a product and service as a product thats not to standard can be returned this is not possible with a service.

<snipped>.

You probably think we should have paid him some percentage just for doing something that was of no use.

Exactly, you can't refuse to pay, you need to pay and then take recourse to
    1 the taxi company
    2 the nta
    3 the small claims court

Not paying is not one of the options otherwise every Tom,Dick n Harry would be trying it on Saturday night for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just because they're covered under the same legislation, doesn't mean their treatment is exactly the same.

Could well be, but your point, although it looks impressive (yay, let's refer to an act), is actually relatively meaningless.
    lol, relax guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So, if a Taximan doesn't have to know where he is bringing you, what exactly is his job? Driving you from point A to somewhere close to point B?

It's actually hilarious that people don't think a taximan should know where he is going.

This was a pick up, so he would have prior knowledge of where they were going so he should have looked then.

If it was a pick up from the side of the road, if the taximan doesn't know, he should have his map out BEFORE the journey begins, and know where he is going BEFORE the meter starts to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

SantryRed wrote: »
    If it was a pick up from the side of the road, if the taximan doesn't know, he should have his map out BEFORE the journey begins, and know where he is going BEFORE the meter starts to run.

I totally agree, your paying for a service, that service is from a trained driver who IS supposed to know the destination. IF the Driver doesn't feel like he knows every street then he should, as a matter of professionalism carry a detailed street map and/or an up to date SatNav. AND the searching should be done BEFORE the journey starts--before the meter is switched on.

I believe its up to the driver to then say he can't find the destination so some searching may be required, that way the passenger can leave the taxi and get another. Its not fair to tell a passenger near the end of a journey that they have to pay for the final search--WRONG.

EDIT: Just a point-some people when told that a search is required will stay in the taxi and pay the extra couple of euro because they don't care and just want to get there. But the Taxi driver has to afford the passenger this decision first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

syklops wrote: »
    Ah, a taxi thread. We've not had one of these in a while.

You didn't know the address you were going to but you criticised him for not memorising every street, lane and road in Dublin? Why didn't you just get out when you were in Mt Merrion and go and find your destination?

99% of disputes I have had with taxi drivers have been solved by saying "Let me out here, I'll walk the rest of the way", and then paying what it said on the meter, or close enough.

you must not have read the actual comment did you, from the sounds of it SHE the passenger knew the street, not the house address. Its is a cabbies job to be able to find somewhere in Dublin, elsewise they should not be doing the job.

They also should not be aggresive when people make an enquiry into what they are doing.

lol, relax guy

Okay 'guy'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

NoDrama wrote: »
    The sooner a postal code system is implemented, the better.....

The only difference to the current story is that the OP would've said "I gave him the full street address, including the postcode". The driver still wouldn't have had a sat nav or asked for directions, so same problem!
    the passenger agreed to get into the taxi even tho the taxi man said he would FIND the house. While the taxman was FINDING the house the passenger grew impatient and wanted out. It was the passengers choice - he knew the taxman had to FIND THE HOUSE - this suited him when he got into the taxi but not when he got to his destination.

You're getting fixated on this word 'find'. If you were getting into a taxi that you've order through a company & the driver told you "Don't worry, we'll find it", I think it's quite reasonable for you to assume that if he gets lost, he'll radio the office.

It's clutching at straws to insist that most people would instead take it to mean "I'll drive over every last inch of Mount Merrion with the meter running until I stumble upon a road with the name you gave me"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If the OP gave the taxi driver a specific address, it's part of the drivers job to locate that address and bring the customer there. I dont blame a driver for not having every street of the city in his head, but if he's in the area but having trouble trying to find the exact address he should have the decency to stop the meter. The passenger shouldn't have to pay for that.

In these days of technology with Satnavs and google maps on your phone, finding any street shouldn't be an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

As others have pointed out, it is completely unreasonable at a time when satnavs, smartphone map apps, Hailo etc are so ubiquitous and affordable. Unless the driver has an excellent knowledge of the particular area, which this one clearly didn't.

The OP isn't talking about the back of beyonds here, it's a suburb 5 miles from the city centre directly adjacent to the N11. Also since it was originally a planned suburb, it's pretty easy to navigate.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Two years ago I got a taxi from a rank on Baggot Street, where the driver didn't know how to get from there to the Stillorgan Road. I suggested driving to Donnybrook, but the driver didn't know how to get to there either :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Feathers wrote: »
    You're getting fixated on this word 'find'. If you were getting into a taxi that you've order through a company & the driver told you "Don't worry, we'll find it", I think it's quite reasonable for you to assume that if he gets lost, he'll radio the office.

Yup, that's the least I'd expect. The last time a taxi driver told he was going to "FIND" the address i gave him, he simply called the office and got the directions he needed. That easy. :D

Driving aimlessly is unacceptable, and suggesting the driver to use any other means to find the address isn't abuse.

OP I think you were right, btw. My advice to you is try opening google navigation or something like that (if you can); you'll know if the taxi driver is trying to rip you off, else you can help him find your destination.

Advertisement