Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

I got a taxi once

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

First piece of equipment a taxi driver should buy is an up to date street atlas.. back it up with a satnav if necessary. When the taxidriver couldn't find the address he should have apologised to the pax and stopped the meter. Then he could have contacted his controller and gotten directions to the address. OP should complain to the taxi directorate and to the cab company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Osborne wrote: »
    Are you serious?
    Yes. He should have paid partially.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dispatch gave the OPs booking to this driver, it is up to him at that stage to establish how to get there prior to even going to pick up the OP. Its called professionalism. SatNav, roadmap, ask dispatch, ask another driver etc. The OP provided the taxi company with the exact address, bringing the customer to the general vicinity and then driving around aimlessly is bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

For what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't pay. If the driver is licensed for working in Dublin he should know his way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Locking you in the car like that probably qualifies as false imprisonment, and the guy had no right to touch your stuff either; he was pretty far in the wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

How much?

How much of the initial €4.10 and the €2 booking fee should the OP pay for the uncompleted trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

leitmotiv wrote: »
    I am a bit worried about my safety as I think that this driver is very angry, threatening and aggressive. And he knows where I live!

It's ok. He won't be able to find you anyway! :pac:

dmc17 wrote: »
    It's ok. He won't be able to find you anyway! :pac:

you may be right there!

• Advertisement

leitmotiv wrote: »
    For what?
    For driving you most of the way.

Locking you in the car like that probably qualifies as false imprisonment, and the guy had no right to touch your stuff either; he was pretty far in the wrong there.
    Indeed, quite worrying behaviour for someone is a relative position of trust. Presumably completely illegal. I would lose the ****ing plot if a taxi driver did that to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

And then when asked to actually drive him/her the whole way(one of the fundamental ideas of a taxi) by using a map, sat nav or calling his company - racially abusing the customer???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did he attack you before you finished typing?

In this country taxi driving is a job for those incapable of doing anything else OP..it attracts the dregs of society, and it's a shame you had to experience it.

Are you serious? Although I agree with the OP in this instance.

Taxi drivers out there are working to pay mortgages, electricity, send their kids to school, put food on the table.

Call them the dregs of society is a disgusting remark. We can't all be working the 100k jobs per year.

Tosser

He didn't give me that option. He provided a sightseeing tour of Mount Merrion and demanded payment with menaces!

In my opinion, a partial service should receive partial payment - put yourself in his situation. I don't understand the all-or-nothing view - smacks of entitlement, something that's a huge issue in society IMO.

The contract which the OP entered into with the taxi company was to be brought to a specific address which was agreed to by the taxi company and by proxy, the driver.
    The driver was unable to fulfil this.
    If i bought a fridge/freezer from Harvey Norman and they delivered a fridge, would i be expected to pay half and go off on my merry way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yep, takes months of training to be confident of passing.

We should have it here!

We do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    And then when asked to actually drive him/her the whole way(one of the fundamental ideas of a taxi) by using a map, sat nav or calling his company - racially abusing the customer???

Calling someone a foreigner is racial abuse now is it? It is irrelevant, yes, but not racial abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Where's "Where to" , when you need him ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Calling someone a foreigner is racial abuse now is it? It is irrelevant, yes, but not racial abuse.
    ..insulted me along the lines of how dare I as a foreigner tell Irish people how to do their job

Calling someone a foreigner isn't. Calling someone inferior because they're a foreigner is.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

In my opinion, a partial service should receive partial payment - put yourself in his situation. I don't understand the all-or-nothing view - smacks of entitlement, something that's a huge issue in society IMO.

I disagree in this instance but I know what you're saying and respect your opinion.

It would be good to get a taxi drivers stance in this.

Calling someone a foreigner isn't. Calling someone inferior because they're a foreigner is.

The irony is that I have spent most of my adult life in Dublin (27 years) and made my home here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ignorance yes, racial abuse, no. You diminish the meaning of racial abuse when you call stuff like this racial abuse. How do you know what race the OP is anyway? He/she could be as white as the taxi driver.

Ignorance yes, racial abuse, no. You diminish the meaning of racial abuse when you call stuff like this racial abuse. How do you know what race the OP is anyway? He/she could be as white as the taxi driver.

I am whiter than him :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OP should make a complaint

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/making_a_complaint_about_spsv_in_ireland.html

If you booked the service through a dispatch operator, you should first make a complaint to the dispatch operator. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can then make your complaint to the National Transport Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If a hairdresser cut half your hair, would you pay half the bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If a hairdresser cut half your hair, would you pay half the bill?

Bit different to be fair

For some things yes, but being left in the middle of nowhere out of pocket and then having to pay to get into another taxi isn't really on. I'd probably rather be drivin back to my starting point than be dropped half way if I didn't know the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its not really different to the hairdresser analogy.. The OP paid a premium to be driven to the address he did not know himself, which is as wrong as a hairdresser half cutting your hair and expecting you to finish it off yourself. They're professionals expected to deliver a full service, he wasn't getting a lift off a friend he was paying a man to drive him to a location, the man didn't drive him there as he didn't know where it was and in the same way if a hairdresser doesn't know how to cut your hair then they shouldn't accept the job in the first place, or else ask for help and in this case that would be using a satnav or calling their dispatcher for directions.

Advertisement