Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    OP should make a complaint

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/making_a_complaint_about_spsv_in_ireland.html

If you booked the service through a dispatch operator, you should first make a complaint to the dispatch operator. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can then make your complaint to the National Transport Authority.
    The NTA would only be able to deal with the insufficient knowledge of the local area, if they bothered their ass at all.

The false imprisonment is a criminal matter, and the complaint should be made to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so you refused to pay a taxi man his fare..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

MarkY91 wrote: »
    so you refused to pay a taxi man his fare..

No, he wasn't able to find my destination and insulted and intimidated me....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The NTA would only be able to deal with the insufficient knowledge of the local area, if they bothered their ass at all.

The false imprisonment is a criminal matter, and the complaint should be made to the Gardai.

On the complaint form are the following options

Please select the category of complaint which best suits the nature of the incident:

The vehicle
    The conduct & behaviour of the driver
    Overcharging and other matters related to the fare
    Matters related to the hiring of the vehicle
    Lost property in a small public service vehicle
    Road traffic offence involving a taxi
    Allegations of a criminal nature

But yes you are correct in that he should also follow up with the Garda he was speaking to and lodeg a formal complaint there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Black cab drivers in central London do.

And that's far a more difficult task then urban sprawl low rise Dublin, Cork or Galway.

Absolutely... the have to do quite a difficult exam. It's a taxi drivers job to know how to get to a destination.. thats part of what you are paying him for. If he doesn't know every back street and lane in Dublin then he needs to invest in a sat nav. The taxi driver was an a**... if he spoken to me in that way he wouldn't be locking the car doors for sure. Too many assholes out there who cant do a simple job and then get aggressive when you point out their incompetence

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

But yes you are correct in that he should also follow up with the Garda he was speaking to and lodeg a formal complaint there too.

I don't really want to make life difficult for anyone, least for myself. I posted originally to gauge whether I was right or wrong to refuse payment on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

I would be getting onto a solicitor and pressing charges against him for assault. That's just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

leitmotiv wrote: »
    Was I right not to pay?

No, you should have paid then disputed the fare. Instead you caused a scene and cost the taxi driver to lose more money and time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't really want to make life difficult for anyone, least for myself. I posted originally to gauge whether I was right or wrong to refuse payment on this occasion.

Of course you were right not to pay. I wouldn't have paid either.
    I would encourage you to take this further though as most people don't bother and these lunatics are left alone to attack the next unsuspecting person with possible worse consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Get hailo then you can see their rating and preload your destination on Google maps. Also don't have to carry cash so no messing around with the driver "looking for change".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

No, you should have paid then disputed the fare. Instead you caused a scene and cost the taxi driver to lose more money and time.

Ya, because the taxi driver probably had a whole list of other customers whom needed to be driven around in circles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

syklops wrote: »
    Ah, a taxi thread. We've not had one of these in a while.

You didn't know the address you were going to but you criticised him for not memorising every street, lane and road in Dublin? Why didn't you just get out when you were in Mt Merrion and go and find your destination?

99% of disputes I have had with taxi drivers have been solved by saying "Let me out here, I'll walk the rest of the way", and then paying what it said on the meter, or close enough.

Surely someone who spends, presumably, 40 hours a week in a car for a living should possess a GPS. Why would he have to memorise every street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's the main reason why cnuts get away with being cnuts. Passenger has a genuine grievance and refuses to pay, taxi driver takes passenger to barracks, easy option for the Guard is to tell the passenger to pay up and move on.

Of course there are many cases where the shoe is on the other foot, passengers can be cnuts too.

I don't think I caused the scene, to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

OP, I sympathise with what happened to you, as it sounds like quite a frightening experience, plus no one deserves to be abused just because of where they come from. He does sound like a piece of work and should have acted far more professionally.

However, to play devil's advocate, in future I would choose another form of negotiation other than infer he was not good at his job. For many people, their employment defines them and what they are about and therefore can be a very sore subject if you happen to question their competence. Simply turning it around, I'm sure if you were told that you were absolutely useless at your profession you would at the very least be taken aback. I'm not saying this is what happened here, merely that you should be careful at breaching this subject, even if like on this occasion, you appear to have been correct regarding his lack of knowledge.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much, I imagine he just lost his temper that on that occasion. Maybe just be a little more wary for the next while, but I think on the whole, you can relax. No one died at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

If i bought a fridge/freezer from Harvey Norman and they delivered a fridge, would i be expected to pay half and go off on my merry way?
    If a hairdresser cut half your hair, would you pay half the bill?
    These are the wrong product/service, so no, I wouldn't pay for half, I'd ask for the correct product/service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

+1 for Hailo

You can rate the driver afterwards and they take complaints very seriously. All trips are recorded so they'd see the OP doing a tour of Mount Merrion.

Still a very young presence in Ireland and Hailo don't want a bad reputation. If you email them you'll get an reply in 2-3 hours.

The OP could have typed the address into the map before the taximan showed up to help this you show I go fella

mikemac1 wrote: »

The OP could have typed the address into the map before the taximan showed up to help this you show I go fella

Should the customer really be expected to provide a map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hailo: The driver will have you and your destination on their own map on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

These are the wrong product/service, so no, I wouldn't pay for half, I'd ask for the correct product/service.

What this taxi driver provided was the wrong service too. Why pay for half of the wrong service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Indeed, quite worrying behaviour for someone is a relative position of trust. Presumably completely illegal. I would lose the ****ing plot if a taxi driver did that to me.

Fairly regular occurence if a passenger is unable or refuses to pay.Lock the doors and bring the passenger to the Garda station.

Doors of any black cab I've been inside of in England are locked by the driver for the duration of the journey too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fairly regular occurence if a passenger is unable or refuses to pay.Lock the doors and bring the passenger to the Garda station.

Doors of any black cab I've been inside of in England are locked by the driver for the duration of the journey too iirc.
    I think any taxi driver who locks a person into their car against their will is running the risk of having their skull caved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Can't believe that anyone thinks the taxi driver should have been paid. His job is to get you to a place. Didn't do his job. Why should he get paid? And the rest of it is a criminal matter TBH.

jjpep wrote: »
    Can't believe that anyone thinks the taxi driver should have been paid. His job is to get you to a place. Didn't do his job. Why should he get paid? And the rest of it is a criminal matter TBH.
    Are there any other service providers who have the right to abduct you for non payment even after they fail to provide the service?

Taxidrivers have powers of detention now?
    Can you point me to that in any statute/law or code of practise?:confused:

Op, use every mechanism to make that taxi drivers life miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Are there any other service providers who have the right to abduct you for non payment even after they fail to provide the service?

Exactly. Like I said, the rest of it is a criminal matter and the OP should be reporting this as same to the gardai.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Op, use every mechanism to make that taxi drivers life miserable.

Not a suitable Username for such a post

You're mixing up goods and services.

They are both covered by the same law - sale of goods and supply of services act 1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

For driving you most of the way.

If I make someone half a cheeseburger when they ordered a full one should I get paid 2 quid instead of 4?

Or perhaps I should get paid nothing until I do my job right and give the customer a full cheeseburger.

Just a thought.

EDIT: I didn't realise there were so many posts along this line! Not trying to make you feel ganged up on!

Advertisement