Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Can't believe the amount of people giving OP abuse over nothing.

Welcome to AfterHours, 80% of its users are know it all, perfect citizen gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

leitmotiv wrote: »
    ..... When I protested about his verbal abuse, he became even more aggressive. I became quite worried at this stage and we still had not found my destination. I asked to leave the taxi but the driver now demanded money and grabbed my bag containing presents and tried to violently pull it from my hands. He then centrally locked the car which was stationary at this stage, and shouted at me demanding money. I refused. He then drove off keeping me against my will in the locked car. I was very concerned now about my safety and asked where he was bringing me. He said (to my relief!) Dundrum Garda Station. When we arrived there, he left me locked in the car and went into the station returning with a Gard. The Gard suggested that I owed money to the driver. I said that I was not brought to my destination but attacked and insulted and that I did not owe the fare under the circumstances. The Gard noted my details, let me go and remained with the driver.
    I hired a taxi at the Dundrum rank and was safely and friendly brought to my original destination .......

The real issue here is that you wanted to get out of the car without paying, right? and that's what kicked things off. Sounds like you are twisting the order of events in your favor. It's just the way your post is worded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

The real issue here is that you wanted to get out of the car without paying, right? and that's what kicked things off. Sounds like you are twisting the order of events in your favor. It's just the way your post is worded.

Why should he pay someone who can't do his fairly simple job and who's also roaring abuse at him at the same time?

jjpep wrote: »
    Why should he pay someone who can't do his fairly simple job and who's also roaring abuse at him at the same time?

Well, see thats the thing - the way the op's post is worded is that they were totally in the right, THEN, hits us with the fact they tried to not pay. So my question is .. how did events really happen.
    I became quite worried at this stage and we still had not found my destination. I asked to leave the taxi but the driver now demanded money and grabbed my bag containing presents and tried to violently pull it from my hands

At this point the op doesnt mention refusing to pay. They mention that further in the post. But that's a pretty big detail. Sounds to me things are being twisted. Because the op wasnt brought to the exact street - they didnt wanna pay. Even tho they got brought to mount merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Some of the posts on this thread are truly disgusting, particularly the first few.

The driver agrees to takes him to a location specified in advance and instead wastes his time and intends to abandon him an area he doesn't know (leaving him worse off than if the driver had simply declined the fare), then intimidated him, held him captive and took his possessions and some people are suggesting he should have been paid.

Just does not compute. I'd like to see the OP take this further with the Gardai because nobody should be allowed to behave that way and get away with it but I understand it probably isn't worth his time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

OP to be honest you're bang out of order (imo).

Reading your post, the taxi driver was still looking for the location and you asked to get out (without paying). You can't argue he didn't bring you to your destination as he was still trying to do so.

You should have waited until he got you there (and he would have , eventually). Then the issue is a simple fare issue, in that because of his faffing around he should knock a few quid off the fare. If he doesn't then take his plate number and report it.

Mount Merrion is not exactly the size of China. He'd have got you there (even if it involved asking a bystander or pedestrian). You tried to pull a fast one by getting out and walking the rest for free. He pulled you up on it. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Even tho they got brought to mount merrion.
    The OP didn't ask to be brought to Mt Merrion, an exact address was given. The Taxi driver should have switched the meter off while searching for the correct address. It was the drivers decision to wander about looking for the street, wasting time. He could have very easily looked up a map or use a sat nav, not the passenger's job. The Taxi driver should have apologised to the passenger for wasting his time.
    OP if I was you do complain, police, taxi federation etc, its donkeys like that taxi driver that should be taken off the road, we have plenty of very professional taxi drivers and this edjit gives them a bad name. No i'm not a taxi driver !

Gerry T wrote: »
    The OP didn't ask to be brought to Mt Merrion, an exact address was given.

But the op said the address was in mount merrion just that the driver could'nt find the extact address :confused:
    The taxi arrived and we left. The driver asked me where my destination address was but I only knew it was in Mount Merrion. He said not to worry, that he would find it. As we arrived in the vicinity of Mount Merrion, he was not able to find my destination and drove around rather aimlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

But the op said the address was in mount merrion just that the driver could'nt find the extact address :confused:

The OP clarified in a later post that the full address was given when booking
    Thanks for (most) replies! Just to be clear: I knew the exact street address but couldn't direct the driver. I gave the address when I booked, plenty of time to look it up, even on a map, not to mention satnav.

I don't really want any more trouble. I am just worried because he picked me up from my home and is very aggressiv....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ha! I can't believe the amount of people who think it's the passenger's responsibility to direct a taxi driver to where they want to go. :D

Going by that it's perfectly alright for a taxi driver to leave someone in the general area of the address that they want to go and get paid for it.

Maybe taxi drivers in Dublin should have a sign on their cars letting unsuspecting customers know that they either know the city or that they don't and you take your chance. One could charge more than the other, like the black cabs and minicabs in London.

Dublin taxi drivers could do with a bit of this:
    As a licensed taxi driver in the London Capital you must have a detailed knowledge of roads and places of interest in London – this is known as the Knowledge.

How long it takes to become a licensed taxi driver in London will very much depend on whether you want to be an ‘All London’ driver or a Suburban driver. There are varying different requirements for each.

All London drivers, also known as ‘Green Badge’ drivers, need a detailed knowledge of London within a six mile radius of Charing Cross. To begin with there are 320 routes or ‘runs’ to learn, along with all the places of interest and important landmarks on and around these runs. It takes between two to four years to learn and pass the ‘All London’ Knowledge and this takes a considerable amount of commitment and dedication.

Once you are licensed you can work anywhere in the Greater London area and the benefits of this are huge.

What is ‘the Knowledge’?
    The taxicab driver is required to be able to decide routes immediately in response to a passenger’s request or traffic conditions, rather than stopping to look at a map or ask a controller by radio.

Consequently, the Knowledge is the in-depth study of London street routes and places of interest that taxicab-drivers in that city must complete to obtain a licence to operate a black cab. It was initiated in 1865, and has changed little since. It is the world’s most demanding training course for taxicab-drivers; and applicants will usually need at least 12 ‘Appearances’ (attempts at the final test), after preparation averaging 34 months, to pass the examination.

Taxi Knowledge Course details
    The 320 main (standard) routes, or ‘runs’, through central London of the Knowledge are contained within the ‘Blue Book’ (officially known as the ‘Guide to Learning the Knowledge of London’), produced by the Public Carriage Office which regulates licensed taxis in London.

In all some 25,000 streets within a six mile radius of Charing Cross are covered along with the major arterial routes through the rest of London. A taxicab-driver must learn these, as well as the ‘points of interest’ along those routes including streets, squares, clubs, hospitals, hotels, theatres, government and public buildings, railway stations, police stations, courts, diplomatic buildings, important places of worship, cemeteries, crematoria, parks and open spaces, sports and leisure centres, places of learning, restaurants and historic buildings.

The Knowledge includes such details as the order of theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue, or the names and order of the side streets and traffic signals passed on a route. There are separate shorter courses, for suburban London, with 30 to 50 ‘runs’ depending on the sector.

“Knowledge boys”
    During training would-be cabbies, known as Knowledge boys (or girls), usually follow these routes around London on a motor scooter, and can be identified by the clipboard fixed to the handlebars and showing details of the streets to be learned that day.

In order to pass the Knowledge, applicants must have a clean driving licence and no criminal record, then first pass a written test, which qualifies them to make an ‘appearance’. At appearances, Knowledge boys must, without looking at a map, identify the quickest and most sensible route between any two points in metropolitan London that their examiner chooses. For each route, the applicants must recite the names of the roads used, when they cross junctions, use roundabouts, make turns, and what is ‘alongside’ them at each point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

But the NTA thinks its more important to have First Aid kit's,Fire extinguishers,Torch's,Warning Triangles and Pen's and Paper than to have a Driver that actually might know where you are going,some of the taxis I've been lately could'nt find Temple Bar let alone a street out in the suburb's,op the garda let you be on your way if you were in the wrong he'd have made you pay the driver,report the driver to the NTA who have an app for just that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

No, the real issue is WHY I didn't want to pay: 1. because he couldn't find the address I gave him and the company at the time of booking and 2. more importantly, because I felt unsafe, was being verbally abused and shouted at.

I had to take another taxi from where I started and was quite happy to pay the driver (with tip) when he brought me to my destination.

You suggest that I tried to pull a fast one and save myself €10. That's absurd under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My advice, in future always sit directly behind the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

right so you booked a taxi that came on time, you got driven the four miles to the area of your destination - the taxman was looking for the exact street house for you - you got frustrated and asked to leave the taxi and you were then abused etc.

I find that hard to believe - all you had to say if you wanted to leave the taxi is "drop me off here thanks" . Pay for the service that was provided to you get your stuff and leave.

I would love to get the taxi mans version of what happened - the taxi man has every right to lock the door and drive you to the police station. They put up with enough idiots doing runners and abusing them on a daily/nightly bases. He was perfectly within his rights to drive you to the police station.

Could you not have called the person living in the house you were going to to get directions at all?

At least it is registered with the police now - the taxman was correct in doing so. That way if and when you decide to make a complaint about how hard done by you were, the police have a record of what actually happened.

Next time, don't get a taxi unless you are prepared to pay for it. If you want to get out of the cab, just ask him to drop you off. Simple really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

right so you booked a taxi that came on time, you got driven the four miles to the area of your destination - the taxman was looking for the exact street house for you - you got frustrated and asked to leave the taxi and you were then abused etc.

I find that hard to believe - all you had to say if you wanted to leave the taxi is "drop me off here thanks" . Pay for the service that was provided to you get your stuff and leave.

Have you even read the thread?
    I would love to get the taxi mans version of what happened
    Agreed but the Garda didn't seem to be too bothered about forcing the OP to pay so presumably he got both sides.
    the taxi man has every right to lock the door and drive you to the police station. They put up with enough idiots doing runners and abusing them on a daily/nightly bases. He was perfectly within his rights to drive you to the police station.

You are not the first to say this. I was not aware that taxi drivers had powers of detention. Could you point me to a law/statute or code of practise that clarifies this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You are not the first to say this. I was not aware that taxi drivers had powers of detention. Could you point me to a law/statute or code of practise that clarifies this?

Unless they have been trained in insurance in these circumstances, handling methods and the law involved, surely they cannot be allowed to hold someone captive against their will.

Some absolutely ridiculous posts on this thread. In no way should we allow a member of the public detain someone who didn't pay (debatable subject too).

Why can't the taxi driver put a sign up on his dash that he looks for a non-refundable deposit first? Or a security camera? Might save himself and his car some serious damage down the line.

They put up with enough idiots doing runners and abusing them on a daily/nightly bases. He was perfectly within his rights to drive you to the police station.

Next time, don't get a taxi unless you are prepared to pay for it.

I did not abuse him at any time. He abused me. How would you feel if a big, shaven headed guy with tattoos all over his arms shouts abuse at you as a customer in a taxi?

I was fully prepared to pay the fare when I booked. In fact, I paid the fare for the taxi I took subsequently. I never ever did a "runner" in my life.

You miss the point fishy.

when you said you wanted to leave the taxi, did you say you were going to pay for the fare from your destination to when you wanted to leave the taxi. If not he had every right to bring you to the police station. locking the doors is ensuring that you don't try to leg it at a red light while you are being taken to the police station. You say you were intimidated by him because of the way he looked now, but reading your original post it does't sound like you were intimidated at all. In fact you sound quite smug "telling" him how to do his job.

As I said, it would be nice to get the taxman's version of events. One side of a story is just that - one-sided and in favor of yourself.

Either way, now that there is a statement made, don't be surprised if you get a follow up visit - it will all depend on if the taxman wants to pursue you for payment.

he had every right to bring you to the police station. locking the doors is ensuring that you don't try to leg it.
    Do you have a source to back up this outrageous claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

when you said you wanted to leave the taxi, did you say you were going to pay for the fare from your destination to when you wanted to leave the taxi. If not he had every right to bring you to the police station. locking the doors is ensuring that you don't try to leg it at a red light while you are being taken to the police station. You say you were intimidated by him because of the way he looked now, but reading your original post it does't sound like you were intimidated at all. In fact you sound quite smug "telling" him how to do his job.

As I said, it would be nice to get the taxman's version of events. One side of a story is just that - one-sided and in favor of yourself.

Either way, now that there is a statement made, don't be surprised if you get a follow up visit - it will all depend on if the taxman wants to pursue you for payment.

What a load of crap. Taxi driver is not entitled to detain someone. Especially because the taxi driver is incapable of doing his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

another typical story about Dublin taxi driver.
    I'm not using this service at all, and asking everybody not use them as well.
    I hate them for:
    - arrogant drivers, especially in situation when driver is irish (and a full time driver) and customer is foregner,
    - overpriced service,
    - always need to show the way to the destination (why not to use map or at least sat nav???)
    - dirty and smelly cabs,
    - dangerous driving.

I would rank irish taxis number 1 in the world for unfriendly and unreliable service.

"Ireland

Any person can arrest someone who they have reasonable cause is in the act of committing or has committed an "arrestable" offence, that is one punishable by more than 5 years in prison."

Wikipedia, citing Criminal Law Act 1997 (Ireland), Section 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I booked a taxi evening from my home to a street address about 4 miles away.

The taxi arrived and we left. The driver asked me where my destination address was but I only knew it was in Mount Merrion. He said not to worry, that he would find it. As we arrived in the vicinity of Mount Merrion, he was not able to find my destination and drove around rather aimlessly. When I suggested that he should know local addresses or else use a satnav device or ask the dispatcher, he grew very aggressive, raised his voice and insulted me along the lines of how dare I as a foreigner to tell Irish people how to do their job. When I protested about his verbal abuse, he became even more aggressive. I became quite worried at this stage and we still had not found my destination. I asked to leave the taxi but the driver now demanded money and grabbed my bag containing presents and tried to violently pull it from my hands. He then centrally locked the car which was stationary at this stage, and shouted at me demanding money. I refused. He then drove off keeping me against my will in the locked car. I was very concerned now about my safety and asked where he was bringing me. He said (to my relief!) Dundrum Garda Station. When we arrived there, he left me locked in the car and went into the station returning with a Gard. The Gard suggested that I owed money to the driver. I said that I was not brought to my destination but attacked and insulted and that I did not owe the fare under the circumstances. The Gard noted my details, let me go and remained with the driver.
    I hired a taxi at the Dundrum rank and was safely and friendly brought to my original destination.

I should say, that I have used taxis both for business and privately many times. I have never made a complaint or was scared in a taxi. I am a bit worried about my safety as I think that this driver is very angry, threatening and aggressive. And he knows where I live!

Was I right not to pay?

ffs...

He had a right to take you to to the station if you did not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Order of events from what I can gather;
    • Taxi is booked, name of street is given prior to departure
    • Taxi drives to the general area, and is unable to find the specific street.
    • Drives around for a while with the meter running, to the agitation of the OP
    • OP suggests looking up the sat nav or calling dispatch for assistance
    • Driver gets angry, and verbally abusive
    • OP attempts to leave the car without paying, the driver grabs at their bags and locks the OP inside the car, and drives to the Garda station

If the above is correct, I can't see how anyone can say that the OP was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

What a load of crap. Taxi driver is not entitled to detain someone. Especially because the taxi driver is incapable of doing his job.

Well clearly he is able. I've heard it been done a few times for non payment's of fare, the cops don't seem to have a problem with it.

I persume the same way as a shop keeper is able to detain someone if they catch them shoplifting while the cops are called.

yes....they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

fishy fishy
    The taxi driver didn't bring the OP to his street, he was aimlessly driving around looking for the road, he was given the address on a booking and should have checked out the road location before showing up at the pick-up point, before turning on the meter. The OP did clarify that the exact road was given before the taxi appeared.
    If you were in the taxi looking at the meter clicking up and the driver going "I'm sure that road is around here somewhere, just another ten min should do it" you wouldn't be happy about it either. The Taxi driver is working and he should have a procedure for these type of events. I'm presuming if he had said that he would turn off the meter while searching the OP would have paid and prob given a bigger tip for the service.

omega666 wrote: »
    Well clearly he is able. I've heard it been done a few times for non payment's of fare, the cops don't seem to have a problem with it.

I persume the same way as a shop keeper is able to detain someone if they catch them shoplifting while the cops are called.

Its a fair analogy actually

Gerry T wrote: »
    fishy fishy
    The taxi driver didn't bring the OP to his street, he was aimlessly driving around looking for the road, he was given the address on a booking and should have checked out the road location before showing up at the pick-up point, before turning on the meter. The OP did clarify that the exact road was given before the taxi appeared.
    If you were in the taxi looking at the meter clicking up and the driver going "I'm sure that road is around here somewhere, just another ten min should do it" you wouldn't be happy about it either. The Taxi driver is working and he should have a procedure for these type of events. I'm presuming if he had said that he would turn off the meter while searching the OP would have paid and prob given a bigger tip for the service.

the OP asked to leave the taxi - leave without paying. The taxman is in the right to bring them to the police station. Its like going to a restaurant, having your starter, main course, not liking the dessert and deciding not to pay.

He was driven to the area, the taxman was looking for the exact house. the OP clearly didn't bother ringing the house himself for directions. The op wanted to leave the taxi without paying. Taximan brought him to the police.
    The end. If the taxman wants to pursue it, he can.

thats the way it is - like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yes. He should have paid partially.

If you go to a pub, order a pint and only get 3\4s of a pint would you pay the full price? Seriously ****ing Dublin taxi drivers piss me off no end, Always moaning and complaining about how terrible it is being a taxi driver and these would be the same ones who years ago would pick and choose jobs.

(1) There was a joke back in the 90s that swent - - - Dublin city....the only city in the world where you walk halfway home backwards because you are trying to get a taxi.

(2) I once stood on Dame street taxi rank for 2 hours in a queue waiting for a taxi, When i eventually got to the top of the queue the first 3 taxis that cam along REFUSED to take me to Blanchardstown stating "sorry am not going over that side of the river":eek:

Now that there is fair (fare) competition they all whinge and moan about it. Op should go to guards and get the taxi drivers plate number and report him to the garage office as a scumbag like that needs to be off the road asap.

Advertisement