Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

As i asked before, are there any other service providers who, on failure to adequately provide said service, are permitted to abduct clients for non payment?

In before fishey fishey et al claims that locking someone in a car and driving them x miles against their will is not abduction:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

As i asked before, are there any other service providers who, on failure to adequately provide said service, are permitted to abduct clients for non payment?
    Yes I had a plumber in to fit a toilet, he put it in the living room so I refused to pay. he bundled me into his van and brought me to the cop shop-I'm now serving 5 yr's, for taking the piss :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

leitmotiv wrote: »
    You ARE joking, aren't you? I would put myself in danger's way, no doubt....

how is it putting yourself in danger's way? A few quid in an envelope, post it to mr. taxi-man, everyone friends again... ok he may have been in the wrong losing his temper, but it would take the bigger person to extend the olive branch now, would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lOWCOUNTRY

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

You are not the first to say this. I was not aware that taxi drivers had powers of detention. Could you point me to a law/statute or code of practise that clarifies this?
    CRIMINAL LAW ACT, 1997

4.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be in the act of committing an arrestable offence.

(2) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), where an arrestable offence has been committed, any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed, he or she may arrest without warrant anyone whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(5) A person who is arrested pursuant to this section by a person other than a member of the Garda Síochána shall be transferred into the custody of the Garda Síochána as soon as practicable.

"arrestable offence" means an offence for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may, under or by virtue of any enactment, be punished by imprisonment for a term of five years or by a more severe penalty and includes an attempt to commit any such offence;
    (6) This section shall not affect the operation of any enactment restricting the institution of proceedings for an offence or prejudice any power of arrest conferred by law apart from this section.
    CRIMINAL JUSTICE (THEFT AND FRAUD OFFENCES) ACT, 2001
    7.—(1) A person who dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, by any deception obtains services from another is guilty of an offence.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person obtains services from another where the other is induced to confer a benefit on some person by doing some act, or causing or permitting some act to be done, on the understanding that the benefit has been or will be paid for.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), a person obtains services where the other is induced to make a loan, or to cause or permit a loan to be made, on the understanding that any payment (whether by way of interest or otherwise) will be or has been made in respect of the loan.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

OP, if I were you I would try and find out who this taxi driver is, and go and give the guy the few quid you owe him. The Gardai at Dundrum will give you his details Im sure. It is difficult enough as it is to try and scrape a living as a taxi driver. €10 or €15 will sort the whole thing out, right?

Why on earth would he do that? He doesn't owe him anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

lOWCOUNTRY wrote: »
    CRIMINAL LAW ACT, 1997

Are you claiming they can or cannot detain?

I specifically draw your attention to

(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They did receive a service, by being driven much of the way - therefore they owed money up to that point. The taxi-driver's aggressive behaviour was out of order though.

Nonsense.

There's no such thing as partial service.

You pay to get to a destination, if you don't get to the destination, you don't pay.

OP should have billed the driver for wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I was once in a cab coming home from a night out and the driver got a flat tire about half a mile into the journey.

As I got out, I sympathised with him on his bad fortune, but there was no question of me paying for having been brought to a rough part of the inner city in the middle of the night, when I had asked to be brought somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did he attack you before you finished typing?

In this country taxi driving is a job for those incapable of doing anything else OP..it attracts the dregs of society, and it's a shame you had to experience it.
    What a stupid post!
    What do you do for a living? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

Ok, Thank you all very much for your contributions, advice and opinions.

Just to wrap up the debate: I probably should have paid if only to avoid waste of time, trouble and upset. However, I do believe that this driver is a very angry, aggressive and dangerous man and should not provide a personal service at all. I also think that he acted unlawfully by trying to pull my property out of my hands, detain me and transport me against my will.

And again: I am not a fare dodger, smug customer etc etc. I have always paid my fare and had to repeat this trip subsequently, paying my fare (+tip) to a very competent and friendly driver.

I decided to make a complaint with the dispatching company, mainly to put this on record just in case there is any follow up....

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What a stupid post!
    What do you do for a living? Just wondering.

Probably wouldnt give him a license :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The contract which the OP entered into with the taxi company was to be brought to a specific address which was agreed to by the taxi company and by proxy, the driver.
    The driver was unable to fulfil this.
    If i bought a fridge/freezer from Harvey Norman and they delivered a fridge, would i be expected to pay half and go off on my merry way?

That would be fair enough but would the op be happy then to be returned to their starting point ( at no charge )

Same as per HN would you expect to keep the fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I didn't read all that legal mumbo jumbo but doesn't it say something along the lines of the sentence likely being 5 years? Kill someone and you're out in 7, I don't think dodging a €10 taxi fare will put you in jail for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No, the real issue is WHY I didn't want to pay: 1. because he couldn't find the address I gave him and the company at the time of booking and 2. more importantly, because I felt unsafe, was being verbally abused and shouted at.

I had to take another taxi from where I started and was quite happy to pay the driver (with tip) when he brought me to my destination.

You suggest that I tried to pull a fast one and save myself €10. That's absurd under the circumstances.

Would you not have been better taking one from Dundrum Garda station?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would you not have been better taking one from Dundrum Garda station?

That's what I did spookie and it is in walking distance from where I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I booked a taxi evening from my home to a street address about 4 miles away.

The taxi arrived and we left. The driver asked me where my destination address was but I only knew it was in Mount Merrion. He said not to worry, that he would find it. As we arrived in the vicinity of Mount Merrion, he was not able to find my destination and drove around rather aimlessly. When I suggested that he should know local addresses or else use a satnav device or ask the dispatcher, he grew very aggressive, raised his voice and insulted me along the lines of how dare I as a foreigner to tell Irish people how to do their job. When I protested about his verbal abuse, he became even more aggressive. I became quite worried at this stage and we still had not found my destination. I asked to leave the taxi but the driver now demanded money and grabbed my bag containing presents and tried to violently pull it from my hands. He then centrally locked the car which was stationary at this stage, and shouted at me demanding money. I refused. He then drove off keeping me against my will in the locked car. I was very concerned now about my safety and asked where he was bringing me. He said (to my relief!) Dundrum Garda Station. When we arrived there, he left me locked in the car and went into the station returning with a Gard. The Gard suggested that I owed money to the driver. I said that I was not brought to my destination but attacked and insulted and that I did not owe the fare under the circumstances. The Gard noted my details, let me go and remained with the driver.
    I hired a taxi at the Dundrum rank and was safely and friendly brought to my original destination.

I should say, that I have used taxis both for business and privately many times. I have never made a complaint or was scared in a taxi. I am a bit worried about my safety as I think that this driver is very angry, threatening and aggressive. And he knows where I live!

Was I right not to pay?

There were a pair of you in it OP.

Of course he should not have locked you in but you should have paid him. You can't refuse to pay because you didn't know where you were heading.

It was hardly his fault you didn't know where you were going. And insulting or passing judgement on the way he did his job wouldn't have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There were a pair of you in it OP.

Of course he should not have locked you in but you should have paid him. You can't refuse to pay because you didn't know where you were heading.

It was hardly his fault you didn't know where you were going. And insulting or passing judgement on the way he did his job wouldn't have helped.

It's the taxi driver's job to know where the address is, not the OP's ...

You can't refuse to pay because you didn't know where you were heading.

It was hardly his fault you didn't know where you were going.

I gave the exact address to the dispatcher when I booked the taxi and again to the driver when he arrived. Plenty of time to look at a map, I'd have thought?

bluewolf wrote: »

Ah here now....do you really not think you should have some idea where you are going when you get into a taxi?

Or are the drivers supposed to be mind readers?

I gave the exact address to the dispatcher when I booked the taxi and again to the driver when he arrived. Plenty of time to look at a map, I'd have thought?

Did you not say you didn't know where you were going?

I would always make sure I knew the directions myself just in case. Not every driver knows every corner of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah here now....do you really not think you should have some idea where you are going when you get into a taxi?

How on earth is it being a mind reader to look up the address you were given in advance and find a route to it, when it's your job?
    Did you not say you didn't know where you were going?
    He said the driver was given the exact address in advance. Read the thread before going on about mind readers would ya

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you read the thread?:confused:

The driver should know or have a way of finding out.

Its easy to say you should have an idea yourself, normally people would but not always. If you are on holidays abroad or even away in another Irish city would you expect to be able to instruct the driver how to get to your destination? Of course you wouldn't.

Also I don't understand the "mind readers" comment. If you tell them the destination address why would they have to read your mind.

Some posters seem to suggest that one should have the lowest expectations of a service provider and quietly take abuse and insult into the bargain. Well, I didn't on this occasion....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Have you read the thread?:confused:

This. The amount of posters that haven't even read the thread and then posts on it is ridiculous.

FWIW I wouldn't have paid the fare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

So you're saying if I come to Ireland from another country and wish to use a taxi, I the client should know where I am going? Or if I visit a town/city I do not reside in for that matter. Ridiculous comment.

I know the op is a resident of Ireland but your post suggests anyone that wants a taxi should know how to get to their destination.

bluewolf wrote: »
    But thats not an excuse to withhold payment. OP should have paid, requested receipt, took drivers ID number and then made a formal complaint. Thats how adults do things. Two wrongs dont make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

OP you seem to forget the fact that you told the driver you wanted to leave he taxi. The driver was looking for the address - you didn't wait to find out what the driver would have done when he got to the address - reduce your fare, etc. You didn't wait to find out. You made the choice to leave the taxi - and decided you didn't have to pay because you didn't want to stay in the taxi any longer.

You tried to leave without paying - you didn't get away with it and were brought to the police station.

It was your choice to decide to end the taxi ride.

OP you seem to forget the fact that you told the driver you wanted to leave he taxi. The driver was looking for the address - you didn't wait to find out what the driver would have done when he got to the address - reduce your fare, etc. You didn't wait to find out. You made the choice to leave the taxi - and decided you didn't have to pay because you didn't want to stay in the taxi any longer.

You tried to leave without paying - you didn't get away with it and were brought to the police station.

no...he was abducted remember?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

He has been verbally abused at this point, hence why he wanted to end the journey.

Advertisement