Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

He has been verbally abused at this point, hence why he wanted to end the journey.

the passenger didn't see to be too shy in coming forward with his abuse.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    no...he was abducted remember?

oh ya, I forgot....taken by force against his will to the local police station. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

the passenger didn't see to be too shy in coming forward with his abuse.

For the last time: I did not abuse the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i think the taxi driver was really unprofessional to the op and it was wrong of him to imprison the op, from what i 've read the op got a crap service, complained rightly imo to the taxi driver who didn't do anything i.e. ring for help to his taxi company or check his satnav to get the exact address the op wanted to go to.

cue panic on both sides where the taxi driver tried to become the garda by locking the op in the taxi, after verbally abusing the op along the way, thinking he would get his fare from the op once they were at the garda station.

in the end i think the op showed a lot of guts in sticking up for himself/herself in deciding not to pay a cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

leitmotiv wrote: »
    For the last time: I did not abuse the driver!

Um...by your own admission, he took you to where you told him:

"The driver asked me where my destination address was but I only knew it was in Mount Merrion. He said not to worry, that he would find it. As we arrived in the vicinity of Mount Merrion"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

oh ya, I forgot....taken by force against his will to the local police station. :D

What would you call it then? The driver sealed him in the car then drove off. He held the op against his will. Just because he stated he was going to garda station does not mean he was telling the truth hence making it a scary journey.

Um...by your own admission, he took you to where you told him:

"The driver asked me where my destination address was but I only knew it was in Mount Merrion. He said not to worry, that he would find it. As we arrived in the vicinity of Mount Merrion"

:D

Again: I gave him and before that the dispatcher the exact address.

bumper234 wrote: »
    What would you call it then? The driver sealed him in the car then drove off. He held the op against his will. Just because he stated he was going to garda station does not mean he was telling the truth hence making it a scary journey.

Of course he was going to the garda station. The OP refused to pay him. Driver should have called through to nearest station and explained situation and that he was on the way. This is not an episode of CSI, though you'd be forgiven for thinking it is with all the high drama about abductions and unlawful imprisonment (and wasnt there even a "he knows where I live"??) ffs. Two kids as bad as each other with no manners and no sense of direction.

if the driver said this to you at the start of the journey, why did you get in the car. You must have known by this response "that he would find it" that the driver did not know where in mt merrion the exact house was.

You could have, at that stage said the you wanted a cab driver the already knew where it was. Instead you got into the taxi, and when the taxman was looking of find the address (as he had stated to you before you got in) you decided that you wanted to leave the taxi.

you were in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Again: I gave him and before that the dispatcher the exact address.

How did the company treat you when you complained? Had you used them before?

• Advertisement

I give up! :confused:

Here is a question for all of the people who think the taxi driver is right. I don't know op so don't know how he looks. I am 5-11 17 stone of tattooed shaved head ex bouncer with a dublin accent and a stare that can scare off chuggers, beggers and big issue sellers from 30 paces.

If that was me in the taxi and i had made the comments op had made would the driver have given me the abuse? Would he have tried to lock me in and would he have tried to abduct me by taking me against me will? Or do you think he would have just called the guards and if i tried to move off follow me?

Driver was i the wrong 100% and anyone thinking differently should ask themselves how they would be feeling right now if op was their child?

How did the company treat you when you complained? Had you used them before?

Many times before. Had no response yet.

Here is a question for all of the people who think the taxi driver is right. I don't know op so don't know how he looks. I am 5-11 17 stone of tattooed shaved head ex bouncer with a dublin accent and a stare that can scare off chuggers, beggers and big issue sellers from 30 paces.

If that was me in the taxi and i had made the comments op had made would the driver have given me the abuse? Would he have tried to lock me in and would he have tried to abduct me by taking me against me will? Or do you think he would have just called the guards and if i tried to move off follow me?

Driver was i the wrong 100% and anyone thinking differently should ask themselves how they would be feeling right now if op was their child?

I'd hope my child would be brought up not to be a smart ar*e and insult someone trying to do their job, or try to avoid paying their way. I'd also expect them to be able to find their way around so that they will not be at the mercy of axe wielding, satanic taxi drivers.

ps I'm a woman without the shaved head, tattoos etc and I too have perfected the look that scares off chuggers :D

Amazing how much er...mileage we have gotten out of this thread ;)

Many times before. Had no response yet.

At least they'll know your not a fare dodger! Do post back if they respond

I'd hope my child would be brought up not to be a smart ar*e and insult someone trying to do their job, or try to avoid paying their way. I'd also expect them to be able to find their way around so that they will not be at the mercy of axe wielding, satanic taxi drivers.

ps I'm a woman without the shaved head, tattoos etc and I too have perfected the look that scares off chuggers :D

Amazing how much er...mileage we have gotten out of this thread ;)

So you would get into a taxi going somewhere unfamiliar and be ok with the driver just rolling around the roads with the meter running without saying a word? You would also expect your kids to just sit there and be quiet? How long would be acceptable for you? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Half hour?

where does it say that the OP is a child? Personally I would be ashamed of any grown up "child" of mine who tried to tell somebody how to do their job, because their taxi ride is not quite going how they wanted it to to.

the OP freely got into the taxi even though the taxman said that 'he would find the address". The op, while the taxman was doing exactly as he told the passenger, decided to mock the man doing his job. Then decided because things didn't go his way that we was entitled to a free ride.

The taxman was right and hopefully the OP has learned his lesson.

So you would get into a taxi going somewhere unfamiliar and be ok with the driver just rolling around the roads with the meter running without saying a word? You would also expect your kids to just sit there and be quiet? How long would be acceptable for you? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Half hour?

I usually know where I am going for a start. Its a taxi ffs, are they supposed to know every square inch of the country? Any time this has happened to me, the fare has been adjusted accordingly. I dont see why it should have to become such a saga. The driver wasnt "rolling around the roads" - they were in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Cianos wrote: »
    Order of events from what I can gather;
    • Taxi is booked, name of street is given prior to departure
    • Taxi drives to the general area, and is unable to find the specific street.
    • Drives around for a while with the meter running, to the agitation of the OP
    • OP suggests looking up the sat nav or calling dispatch for assistance
    • Driver gets angry, and verbally abusive
    • OP attempts to leave the car without paying, the driver grabs at their bags and locks the OP inside the car, and drives to the Garda station
    If the above is correct, I can't see how anyone can say that the OP was in the wrong.

Ive highlighted the problem here;)
    Do you go to a restaurant sit down, order a meal, eat it, then walk out the front door without paying because you were not happy with some part of the service?

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

where does it say that the OP is a child? Personally I would be ashamed of any grown up "child" of mine who tried to tell somebody how to do their job, because their taxi ride is not quite going how they wanted it to to.

the OP freely got into the taxi even though the taxman said that 'he would find the address". The op, while the taxman was doing exactly as he told the passenger, decided to mock the man doing his job. Then decided because things didn't go his way that we was entitled to a free ride.

I would assume that a taxi driver has the means and ability to find an address without resorting to driving around aimlessly and hoping to stumble across it.

You're saying that this is overestimating them. It's useful to know. Do you drive a taxi yourself?

• Advertisement

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Do you go to a restaurant sit down, order a meal, eat it, then walk out the front door without paying because you were not happy with some part of the service?

If I was shouted at and insulted halfway through my meal? Yes, I certainly wouldn't wait for the dessert!

Where does it state that the op is not a child. Fwiw op is probably an adult but thats beside the point. I have a 22 year old daughter she is an adult but still "my child" and if she told me this story i would be getting that driver off the road as he obviously has anger issues.

As for the taxi ride not " going how they wanted it to " thats just an idiotic statement to Make. You sound like op is the first person that this has happened to. Dublin taxi drivers are well known for getting lost. Driver should have had a map, sat nav or called base when he reached the area and not aimlessly driven around in a vain attempt to stumble upon the correct road.

Cop on.

If you get your starters and are still waiting well over an hour for your main, then I'd walk

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

If you get your starters and are still waiting well over an hour for your main, then I'd walk

Thief?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

According to the OP he asked the driver would he not check with the base or sat nav, and was verbally abused for this. If you were the taxi driver's parent wouldn't you expect your child to find out where the destination was and do their job properly rather than drive around aimlessly hoping to stumble across it and abuse visitors to this country?

I would assume that a taxi driver has the means and ability to find an address without resorting to driving around aimlessly and hoping to stumble across it.

You're saying that this is overestimating them. It's useful to know. Do you drive a taxi yourself?

no, but I use taxi services the same way everybody else does and I have respect for their jobs - their jobs are hard enough without being insulted and degraded before being told they are not getting paid.

I usually know where I am going for a start. Its a taxi ffs, are they supposed to know every square inch of the country? Any time this has happened to me, the fare has been adjusted accordingly. I dont see why it should have to become such a saga. The driver wasnt "rolling around the roads" - they were in the vicinity.

Ok lets rephrase for you.

The driver was driving around the area for an undetermined time in the hope that he would stumble upon the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cop on.

He wasn't brought to his destination. If you ask for a basic meal and are instead brought numerous other dishes and shouted at for suggesting they ask someone how to go about getting the dish you wanted would you pay for for the dinner you didn't get before leaving?

no, but I use taxi services the same way everybody else does and I have respect for their jobs - their jobs are hard enough without being insulted and degraded before being told they are not getting paid.

Again: I have no problem at all with taxi drivers in general and respect a job well done. I did not insult nor degrade this particular driver. He insulted me (and more).

• Advertisement

How is asking someone to check with base insulting someone?

Actually forget it you are just a troll looking for reactions so gonna ignore you now.

Advertisement