Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Ive highlighted the problem here;)
    Do you go to a restaurant sit down, order a meal, eat it, then walk out the front door without paying because you were not happy with some part of the service?

Cop on.

Would you pay if the waiter took your order, but couldn't find the kitchen and never brought you what you ordered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I usually know where I am going for a start. Its a taxi ffs, are they supposed to know every square inch of the country? Any time this has happened to me, the fare has been adjusted accordingly. I dont see why it should have to become such a saga. The driver wasnt "rolling around the roads" - they were in the vicinity.

London cabbies are examined on the A-Z before they can get a licence. Are you claiming that Dublin is harder to get around than London?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

bumper234 wrote: »
    Ok lets rephrase for you.

The driver was driving around the area for an undetermined time in the hope that he would stumble upon the address.

the driver of the car told the passenger that "he would find it" The driver was in the process of "finding it" when the passenger throw a wobbler and decided that He wanted to leave the taxi.

if he chose to leave the taxi he must pay for his fare. Otherwise everybody could pull that stunt. His choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

bohsman wrote: »
    He wasn't brought to his destination. If you ask for a basic meal and are instead brought numerous other dishes and shouted at for suggesting they ask someone how to go about getting the dish you wanted would you pay for for the dinner you didn't get before leaving?
    Ridiculous comparison. What "numerous other dishes" was the op brought?
    Tbh the story sounds fake

the driver of the car told the passenger that "he would find it" The driver was in the process of "finding it" when the passenger throw a wobbler and decided that He wanted to leave the taxi.

if he chose to leave the taxi he must pay for his fare. Otherwise everybody could pull that stunt. His choice.

And how long would 'finding it' take? 5 minutes? 10? 40? Surely not as long as typing the address into his sat nav or calling base to say 'I'm on X street, how do I get to Y address' as he was asked to do by the OP? 'Finding it' is a nebulous statement at best. If he didn't know where it was he should have found out in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Something not right here.
    If they were in Mount Merrion then why drive to Dundrum Garda Station ?
    Surely Blackrock was the closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Driving around in circles hoping to find it.

I think it was already established that the driver wasn't very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

kylith wrote: »
    I think it was already established that the driver wasn't very good.

Made me lol :D

bohsman wrote: »
    Driving around in circles hoping to find it.
    Nope, wrong comparison.
    The same comparison would be if the taxi driver brought him/her to Tallaght instead of mount merrion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

Nope, wrong comparison.
    The same comparison would be if the taxi driver brought him/her to Tallaght instead of mount merrion

He wouldn't even have gone to Mount Merrion had I not helped him! He didn't know the street address and made no effort to look it up. But the real problem was the abuse and threatening behaviour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Depends a) on whereabouts in Mt. Merrion they were and b) the driver actually knowing where the fcuk he was.

The driver didn't get paid and also didn't provide the service for which he was engaged. Garda didn't pursue it any further so I guess he/she sees it as a matter between them.

If the driver had no idea of the location of the address the passenger was going to, surely a call to the dispatcher while travelling to the area would have been the best course of action rather than hoping to just happen upon it. I don't expect a taxi driver to have the time to study routes ahead of my pick-up if I book a taxi, but I do expect him/her to have the common sense to try find out as we proceed towards the area.

I'd be interested to hear how the complaint to the taxi company goes, OP.

Eponymous wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear how the complaint to the taxi company goes, OP.

Taxi drivers with torches and pitchforks at my home tonight led by fishy fishy, I expect :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak, cooked rare, and they bring out a well-done steak and you send it back, should it be included in your bill because they 'nearly' provided you with what you asked for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak, cooked rare, and they bring out a well-done steak and you send it back, should it be included in your bill because they 'nearly' provided you with what you asked for?

And how many bad attempts at cooking it rare before you can leave without paying.

leitmotiv wrote: »
    He wouldn't even have gone to Mount Merrion had I not helped him! He didn't know the street address and made no effort to look it up. But the real problem was the abuse and threatening behaviour....

Walking away without paying is theft, everything else is you trying to justify your theft.
    If I was in his shoes i would probably just want your whiney ass out of my car asap.
    How much extra did he clock up?1 euro? 75cent?

Your story sounds fake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Taxi drivers with torches and pitchforks at my home tonight led by fishy fishy, I expect :eek:

wrong - believe it or not you are not that interesting. :D just learn from the experience and all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

They wouldn't be able to find the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I demand more analogies

Ormus wrote: »
    I demand more analogies

Let's see....

Say you hire a painter to paint your house. They paint the neighbour's instead and shout abuse at you every time you open the door.

Would you pay them anyway because life is hard enough for painters etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

wrong - believe it or not you are not that interesting. :D just learn from the experience and all will be well.

Just looking through the thread you seem to find him/her very interesting as you've been posting about it all day.

I can't believe the number of people posting here who think the OP should have just paid up when he got to Mount Merrion, its a big area ffs!!

Is this a new thing?, taxi drivers dropping you as far as Tallaght for example and expecting you to make your own way from there to what ever address you asked to be bought to?

This is why we get such bad service in Ireland, the "Shure, is that not good enough for you" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I remember once we had to get a taxi as did other passengers getting the train from Ennis train station to Limerick station once because the train wasn't running for some reason or other. We get in the taxi and the taxi driver reveals to us he doesn't actually know how to get to Limerick Station!:pac: He ends up following one of the other taxis bringing people all the way there!:pac: Now, that's bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

Definitely a few taxi drivers responding in this thread. :pac:

Fair play to the OP. People are too quick to pay for ****e service in this country.

I remember once we had to get a taxi as did other passengers getting the train from Ennis train station to Limerick station once because the train wasn't running for some reason or other. We get in the taxi and the taxi driver reveals to us he doesn't actually know how to get to Limerick Station!:pac: He ends up following one of the other taxis bringing people all the way there!:pac: Now, that's bad!

At least you got there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Let's see....

Say you hire a painter to paint your house. They paint the neighbour's instead and shout abuse at you every time you open the door.

Would you pay them anyway because life is hard enough for painters etc etc?

What if the painter said he could paint your house but then he forgot his ladder and just painted the lower 6 foot of the walls?

Pay him 85%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

At least you got there....

And the Driver got paid:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I usually know where I am going for a start. Its a taxi ffs, are they supposed to know every square inch of the country? Any time this has happened to me, the fare has been adjusted accordingly. I dont see why it should have to become such a saga. The driver wasnt "rolling around the roads" - they were in the vicinity.

Of course they're not supposed to know every square inch of the country but I think it's reasonable to expect they'd take some measure to ensure they can get their customer to their destination. The taxi driver may have been in the vicinity but the meter was still running whlie they were driving around aimlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If I was shouted at and insulted halfway through my meal? Yes, I certainly wouldn't wait for the dessert!

Would then be guilty of obtaining a percunary advantage by eating a meal ( or part of ) and then trying to avoid payment, likewise a taxi fare to the general area of where you wanted to be, if terminated would still have a liability for payment. I believe it now comes under the fraud act

If you were deemed to be obtaining a sevice by deception then the uk law would fit with a 5 year detention and thus allow the driver to detain you.

Maybe someone can find an Irish link to deception and fraud and see what the judicary say about the sentance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

LizT wrote: »
    Of course they're not supposed to know every square inch of the country but I think it's reasonable to expect they'd take some measure to ensure they can get their customer to their destination. The taxi driver may have been in the vicinity but the meter was still running whlie they were driving around aimlessly.
    Exactly. Once he became lost he should have knocked off the meter, as any taxi driver worth his salt would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Spook_ie wrote: »

Maybe someone can find an Irish link to deception and fraud and see what the judicary say about the sentance here.

And would the taxi driver not be guilty of fraud? He clearly couldn't fulfil his role in getting the op to where he wanted to go but seemed to think that he should be paid anyway.

Advertisement