Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson FE 35 engine seized

• 16-06-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a Ferguson 35 4 cylinder diesel, just got it the order day but the engine is seized it was running up to a few years ago and was then left in a shed until I got it this week, I'm just wondering is there anything I can do to unseize the engine there is oil in it so I'm gathering its the pistons stick in in the barrels, anyone have any tips what to do or will I just have to rebuild her which I plan to do but not at the moment, thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

ntgar wrote: »
    I have a Ferguson 35 4 cylinder diesel, just got it the order day but the engine is seized it was running up to a few years ago and was then left in a shed until I got it this week, I'm just wondering is there anything I can do to unseize the engine there is oil in it so I'm gathering its the pistons stick in in the barrels, anyone have any tips what to do or will I just have to rebuild her which I plan to do but not at the moment, thanks for any help.
    I herd of atf/power steering oil poured into the cylinders to free the pistons,it may take a while to free,diesel might work too if it doesn't run through the rings too quick,it might help to use a socket and bar on the crank pulley bolt to rock the crank when it frees up but don't go too hard at it as you might break some of the piston rings,a 4cyl 35 wouldn't be as good buy as a 3cyl 35,4cyls are much harder to start,

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ntgar

case956tom wrote: »
    I herd of atf/power steering oil poured into the cylinders to free the pistons,it may take a while to free,diesel might work too if it doesn't run through the rings too quick,it might help to use a socket and bar on the crank pulley bolt to rock the crank when it frees up but don't go too hard at it as you might break some of the piston rings,a 4cyl 35 wouldn't be as good buy as a 3cyl 35,4cyls are much harder to start,

Thanks for the reply, yeah the 4 cylinders are harder started but this is a copper belly which never came in 3 cylinder sadly, thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

usually id remove the injectors and pour diesel down the bores, depending on how bad it is it could take a month or so, after a week id take the starter off and try and turn the flywheel both ways with a lever bar.
    The problem after that is, sometimes if the engine is badly seized, the piston rings seize/rust onto the pistons resulting in poor compression and a stripdown and rebuild is the only cure for that

Advertisement