Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Dog breed needed.

• 16-06-2013 3:39pm

Hi just looking for some advice on a dog breed to get for first time owners.

Some info about our situation and what we're looking for:
    • We live in a regular enough size duplex apartment (2 floors) but with a small personal back garden.
    • We are 110% commited to putting in the work, training & exercising of the dog
    • We are looking for a medium/large sized dog that is friendly, dosent bark too much (or can be trained not to).
    • we're not necessarily looking for a "watch/guard" dog as such (i.e. Rottweiler/German shep), but we would like a breed that is loyal to its owners and would be willing and able to defend them in some way if there was a stranger attacking a master

From doing alot of research online weve narrowed it down to a Siberian Huskey, Golden Retriever, Border collie/whippet cross kind of a dog. There are a few pros and cons with all of these breeds with regard to what we're looking for.

So I would still love some advice on the matter tho with regards to choice of dog etc, and maybe any other tips

Thanks in advance to those who reply x

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the Siberian's are very smart and escape artists and require hours of exercise (mental & physical) so a bit on the extreme end for a first time owner I'd say; have you considered asking a local shelter who've evaluated dogs what they got available? This way you get a dog evaluated in personality and style rather then hoping the breeds mentality matches the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just throwing it out there but you sound like you are in an ideal situation to look into rescue dogs - there are lots in rescues around the country that would suit your situation perfectly. Even if you really want to go the breeder route, take a look into rescues and what they have to offer because you may be surprised as to what you find! There are dogs of all shapes, sizes, breed (pure breed and mixed), age, situation etc. and there could be one that is ideal for you.

Onto the breed - the breeds you have mentioned tend to be very high maintenance coat wise and also quite different personality wise (I know every dog is different but a Husky is very different from a Collie which again is very different from a GR). From what you have siad, a Staffie would be a good breed to go for - they can be very smart (of course, there is always exceptions to this ;)) and can be easily trained to do quite a bit, good for indoor living, good with kids, very loyal etc. I know you stated that you are looking for a larger breed but Staffies really do make great pets.

Nody wrote: »
    Well the Siberian's are very smart and escape artists and require hours of exercise (mental & physical) so a bit on the extreme end for a first time owner I'd say; have you considered asking a local shelter who've evaluated dogs what they got available? This way you get a dog evaluated in personality and style rather then hoping the breeds mentality matches the norm.

Yeah so I've read, looks like a lot of hard work - we're not afraid of that, but I understand it might be a bit much for first time. No I haven't contacted a shelter yet, I thought I would need a general idea of what type of dog we wanted first but I agree with your point completely. Do you recommend we get one from a shelter, like dogs trust?

Just throwing it out there but you sound like you are in an ideal situation to look into rescue dogs - there are lots in rescues around the country that would suit your situation perfectly. Even if you really want to go the breeder route, take a look into rescues and what they have to offer because you may be surprised as to what you find! There are dogs of all shapes, sizes, breed (pure breed and mixed), age, situation etc. and there could be one that is ideal for you.

Onto the breed - the breeds you have mentioned tend to be very high maintenance coat wise and also quite different personality wise (I know every dog is different but a Husky is very different from a Collie which again is very different from a GR). From what you have siad, a Staffie would be a good breed to go for - they can be very smart (of course, there is always exceptions to this ;)) and can be easily trained to do quite a bit, good for indoor living, good with kids, very loyal etc. I know you stated that you are looking for a larger breed but Staffies really do make great pets.

Great stuff I will look into rescue Dogs too. There was an assault at our home on a young female family member who was home on her own, by a male (scum), and this is another of the reasons why we want to get a loyal, protective dog. should i mention this to a shelter? As i mentioned before we are so so serious about putting in the work to really make our dog love its home and family.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

To be honest, I don't think it'd be fair to keep any of the above dogs in a duplex apartment with a small back garden, OP. I think you need to scale down your expectations, literally!

"we would like a breed that is loyal to its owners and would be willing and able to defend them in some way if there was a stranger attacking a master."

OP these kind of dogs really aren't for the first-time owner.

Any dog in a loving home will be loyal, and bark to alert at the sound of intruders. That's whay 99% of us are happy with. Having a dog that will attack intruders (how will you define 'intruders' to the dog?) is a whole other ball game -a potentially dangerous one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yeah so I've read, looks like a lot of hard work - we're not afraid of that, but I understand it might be a bit much for first time. No I haven't contacted a shelter yet, I thought I would need a general idea of what type of dog we wanted first but I agree with your point completely. Do you recommend we get one from a shelter, like dogs trust?
    I think talking with a few shelters who do evaluation may be worth considering yes; if nothing else then to get you another option and see other potential breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Huskies and Golden retrievers are both very different types of dogs. Also I don't think either of them are really suitable as a 'protective' dog. There is a good article - 'why malamutes are not goldens' it also applies to Huskies...
    http://www.inharmonymalamutes.com/index/pg128MalamutesAreNotGoldens.html

boomerang wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think it'd be fair to keep any of the above dogs in a duplex apartment with a small back garden, OP. I think you need to scale down your expectations, literally!

"we would like a breed that is loyal to its owners and would be willing and able to defend them in some way if there was a stranger attacking a master."

OP these kind of dogs really aren't for the first-time owner.

Any dog in a loving home will be loyal, and bark to alert at the sound of intruders. That's whay 99% of us are happy with. Having a dog that will attack intruders (how will you define 'intruders' to the dog?) is a whole other ball game -a potentially dangerous one.

I am a first time owner, hence the silly questions, I'm here looking for help and advice - not for someone to jump down my throat.

Thanks for the reply and advice, that's all I want. Not to be attacked. I don't know much about dogs and I won't be getting one for a while, I'm just doing some research.

I didn't say I want a dog to attack, I'm just letting people know as much about my situation as possible so they can give me sound advice.

Nody wrote: »
    I think talking with a few shelters who do evaluation may be worth considering yes; if nothing else then to get you another option and see other potential breeds.

I'll take speaking to some shelters as the next stage, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭fits

Personal opinion, but I really don't think huskies make good pets unless you're willing to take them for a ten mile run every day.
    Collies the same, need a huge amount of stimulation.

Whippets are fantastic pets, especially for your situation. But you wont get the guard dog instinct, and I'm not sure you really want it. My whippet barks to warn of strangers but he'd lick them to death. Still the warning is all I would want a dog to do. I don't like the idea of aggressive pets.

My votes from the list you've mentioned are golden retriever/ whippet. Or consider other sighthounds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'll take speaking to some shelters as the next stage, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Shelters are not necessarily the be all and end all of good advice... Just be careful and do your research (which you are doing...) Good luck!

fits wrote: »
    Still the warning is all I would want a dog to do. I don't like the idea of aggressive pets.

Yeah that's exactly all we want is the warning, I'm sorry if I worded it wrong previously and people got the wrong message, not looking for an animal to take the arm off someone! :rolleyes:

fits wrote: »
    Shelters are not necessarily the be all and end all of good advice... Just be careful and do your research (which you are doing...) Good luck!

I will be taking my time until we're 100% happy and confident with what we're doing cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I am a first time owner, hence the silly questions, I'm here looking for help and advice - not for someone to jump down my throat.

Thanks for the reply and advice, that's all I want. Not to be attacked. I don't know much about dogs and I won't be getting one for a while, I'm just doing some research.

I didn't say I want a dog to attack, I'm just letting people know as much about my situation as possible so they can give me sound advice.

I didn't jump down your throat or attack you OP, steady on! I gave you my honest advice. I can only go on what you write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi OP I have two Yorkies and a Staffy and all three will bark if they hear anything/anyone around the house. Most dogs will TBH. Two of mine are from a pound in Dublin and we bought one and personally I will never buy a dog again. If you do decide to buy research your breeder very carefully. Have a read of the puppy farm thread on here and just be aware. Try not to buy a pup because you feel sorry for him as it doesn't help the situation longterm. If you post up your general location we can recommend rescues by PM. Some rescues aren't good to put it mildly so you do need to put the work in if you decide to go the rescue route.

I would recommend a Staffy. Great family dog, loyal and a good loud bark. They are medium dogs and love a walk but my Lexi doesn't like to be outside without us so a small garden wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP one thing you havent mentioned is how long will the dog be left alone for during the day and where would you intend the dog to sleep.

I would highly recommend greyhounds but, then Im biased. They are indoor dogs and therefore may not suit if you both work 9-5 and cant get anyone to let the dog out for a toilet break during the day.

Oh ya forgot to mention greyhounds make fantastic pets. I was at my local rescue this afternoon and they have the most beautiful blue greyhound bitch there. She has the prettiest face.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi OP I have two Yorkies and a Staffy and all three will bark if they hear anything/anyone around the house. Most dogs will TBH. Two of mine are from a pound in Dublin and we bought one and personally I will never buy a dog again. If you do decide to buy research your breeder very carefully. Have a read of the puppy farm thread on here and just be aware. Try not to buy a pup because you feel sorry for him as it doesn't help the situation longterm. If you post up your general location we can recommend rescues by PM. Some rescues aren't good to put it mildly so you do need to put the work in if you decide to go the rescue route.

I would recommend a Staffy. Great family dog, loyal and a good loud bark. They are medium dogs and love a walk but my Lexi doesn't like to be outside without us so a small garden wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.
    I've had a read of it earlier on cheers. I live in north dublin around santry/finglas. Thanks for your advice , taking it all on board

Inexile wrote: »
    OP one thing you havent mentioned is how long will the dog be left alone for during the day and where would you intend the dog to sleep.

I would highly recommend greyhounds but, then Im biased. They are indoor dogs and therefore may not suit if you both work 9-5 and cant get anyone to let the dog out for a toilet break during the day.

I'm out of the house from 7am and back at 3:30pm, another family member is in college so it's changed all of the time, but I have a lot of family close by who have a key to mine and have no problem letting it out if we cannot be there one afternoon or so

I can't recommend a greyhound strongly enough! They are the laziest, quietest, cleanest dog going! The can take or leave walkies! I wash mine in the shower and brush her once a week and that keeps the hairs under control.

• Advertisement

I can't recommend a greyhound strongly enough! They are the laziest, quietest, cleanest dog going! The can take or leave walkies! I wash mine in the shower and brush her once a week and that keeps the hairs under control.

Ill have a look into it thanks a mil:) forgot to mention I work close by (10min cycle) so can come home on break. I've no problem walking it everyday and putting the work in, not just looking for a lazy one ;)

Ill have a look into it thanks a mil:) forgot to mention I work close by (10min cycle) so can come home on break

Our girl is 8 years old and has been with us for 5 years. The longest we leave her alone is 4 hours. My sisters kids get into her bed with her and snuggle up to her. She's a darling.

Our girl is 8 years old and has been with us for 5 years. The longest we leave her alone is 4 hours. My sisters kids get into her bed with her and snuggle up to her. She's a darling.

Sounds beautiful! Do you mind me asking if you got her from a rescue or private sale?

You have plenty of choice of rescues in Dublin. Our two came from a pound near Finglas. Would you travel or are you only looking around Dublin?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    You have plenty of choice of rescues in Dublin. Our two came from a pound near Finglas. Would you travel or are you only looking around Dublin?

Willing to travel anywhere

Sounds beautiful! Do you mind me asking if you got her from a rescue or private sale?

My sister had her as a racing greyhound and when she retired, we took her and got her speyed. Most shelters have ex racers, or you could contact the Greyhound Board's Welfare Manager, Barry Coleman. His details are on http://www.igb.ie/Welfare/Greyhounds-as-Pets/

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Yep, another vote for a greyhound. They're incredibly loyal and much smarter than people give them credit for. They need far less exercise than most people think. 2 x 30 min walks a day is more than enough and maybe an off lead run (in a secure area!!) once a week so they can stretch their legs.:):)

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Yep, another vote for a greyhound. They're incredibly loyal and much smarter than people give them credit for. They need far less exercise than most people think. 2 x 30 min walks a day is more than enough and maybe an off lead run (in a secure area!!) once a week so they can stretch their legs.:):)

From all my searching on the net I didn't once get drawn towards a greyhound I just assumed they were high maintenance due to their racing background so thanks so much for all ur help :)

Bookworm85 wrote: »

It's an idea if you want to let your greyhound off the lead, to have a second person standing a couple of hundred meters away to call the dog. They are trained to gallop to a person from a young age and continue to do so. (A little treat helps too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

From all my searching on the net I didn't once get drawn towards a greyhound I just assumed they were high maintenance due to their racing background so thanks so much for all ur help :)

I used to think the same, but trust me, they are the laziest dogs on the planet! You'd have to drag them out the door if it is in any way wet/foggy/windy/cold/. All they want to do is snooze!! But they're a fabulous breed. I used to foster them and I don't think I could ever consider another breed when I'm in a position to get a dog of my own.
    It's an idea if you want to let your greyhound off the lead, to have a second person standing a couple of hundred meters away to call the dog. They are trained to gallop to a person from a young age and continue to do so. (A little treat helps too!)

+ 1,000,000 :) we used to do this with our fosters. Its such a lovely sight to watch them run. They're very graceful animals.

Advertisement