Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Dog breed needed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I normally avoid these threads as it just ends up being a load of posters recommending whichever dog they have.

I'm going to make an exception on this occasion though as from reading your op, a boxer ticks all of your key requirements.

They are a super family dog, incredibly loyal and friendly while also being great guard dogs. They can be a handful as they don't really ever "grow up" but I find that's part of their charm.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there as another option for your consideration. Best of luck with your search !!

Swanner wrote: »
    I normally avoid these threads as it just ends up being a load of posters recommending whichever dog they have.

I'm going to make an exception on this occasion though as from reading your op, a boxer ticks all of your key requirements.

They are a super family dog, incredibly loyal and friendly while also being great guard dogs. They can be a handful as they don't really ever "grow up" but I find that's part of their charm.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there as another option for your consideration. Best of luck with your search !!

Cheers for the input really appreciate it. My sisters friend has one and shes so friendly and playful from what ive seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hi OP.

Just going to give you a bit of info on the Siberian Husky - as we, like yourself did a LOT of deliberating approximately 2 years ago and in the end, settled on one as our first dog.

My dad, previously a greyhound trainer and now owner of English bull terriers thought we were MAD! As he knew Huskies to be high maintenance... He did his best to put us off. But today he practically demanded to take Hugo off us to walk him to the graveyard as we were at a wedding yesterday - and a tad tired today. He is soooo good on lead, and is very well behaved. And my dad is our biggest fans. But we put in months of hard work from day 1 to get him this way.

So, our situation. Mid terrace two storey house with neighbours home most of the day either side, retired and elderly. A small-ish garden, fairly secure. But if Hugo wanted to escape early on... He certainly could have. A big garden is not where a dog gets exercised. This is the most important point. A small garden, for us, is enough as he is only there to chill out and rest/sleep.

A happy husky is a tired husky. Two long walks / runs EVERY day. The garden is only for rest. The walls won't be climbed by a dog that has no reason to escape. But they do need that exercise. And plenty of mental stimulation too.

I luckily work near to my house so I'm home for lunch. Hugo is in with me for that hour. Fed, trained and back out till I'm home at 5.30. Walks or runs take place before work and after. Every day. We take turns. The longest he's alone is 3.5 to 4 hours.

Security... Huskies make the WORST guard dogs. They love everyone and our lad will take off with any stranger if they show interest or have a treat.

As I type, he's at our feet asleep. He's indoors nearly as much as we're indoors. He's part of the family. He comes with us on holiday, camping and out and about to town, street festivals, etc... I take him bikejoring, running, etc... And that's the crux of owning one. Boredom, excess energy and loneliness...

They are not an off lead breed. Most breeders and owners will NEVER leave one off lead. They have a high prey drive and are very independent. They 'blow' their full coat twice yearly but the flip side is that he cleans himself and is rarely washed. They don't have the typical dog 'smell'. We wouldn't have any other dog. We are waiting patiently for a half sister of Hugo's to add to the mix.

You'll get out what you put in. No matter what breed you decide on.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Swanner wrote: »

I concur a I have a boxer, I am a young woman living in my own so I wanted a dog that was friendly, loyal, playful and a bit scary looking. He is very protective over the house, gives a good bark and growl, I've never been in the situation where I've been attacked or anything so don't know if he would actually protect me. But when he goes into guarding mode he is very formidable looking.

They love to be around their people, and love their people dearly. They are great fun and my fella always has me laughing at the silly things he does. Like the above poster says they never really grow out of their puppy-ness fully but I also think that is part of their charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Hi just looking for some advice on a dog breed to get for first time owners.

Some info about our situation and what we're looking for:
    • We live in a regular enough size duplex apartment (2 floors) but with a small personal back garden.
    • We are 110% commited to putting in the work, training & exercising of the dog
    • We are looking for a medium/large sized dog that is friendly, dosent bark too much (or can be trained not to).
    • we're not necessarily looking for a "watch/guard" dog as such (i.e. Rottweiler/German shep), but we would like a breed that is loyal to its owners and would be willing and able to defend them in some way if there was a stranger attacking a master

From doing alot of research online weve narrowed it down to a Siberian Huskey, Golden Retriever, Border collie/whippet cross kind of a dog. There are a few pros and cons with all of these breeds with regard to what we're looking for.

So I would still love some advice on the matter tho with regards to choice of dog etc, and maybe any other tips

Thanks in advance to those who reply x

How bout a Labrador ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement