Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on fast growing hedge, wind resistant

• 16-06-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I need a fast growing hedge for a garden that gets a lot of wind. Would consider anything. The soil is not great quality and quiet wet. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding on a hedge to plant. For much of the country hawthorne and gorse provide fast growing wind resistant hedging. Maple trees planted close together also form a good wind break and I have seen them growing well on the Aran islands where winds are strong. Alder and willow also can be grown in a hedge and other plants like elderflower, guelder rose, blacktorne and ivy provide good additions to hedging. If your garden is small you might want to consider a hedge that does not get too big and difficult to control. I have planted black currants on an exposed site to provide a wind break and they are growing well. I am hopping to plant a hedge myself soon and want to use a mixture of Hazel and Elderflower to allow for some food production from the hedge in time. What type of hedge you plant would depend on what your own expectations are. If year round screaning is a priority an evergreen hedge might be best and most conifers are resistant to strong winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Here's a good source of information:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Thanks for all the info folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

macraignil wrote: »
    Maple trees planted close together also form a good wind break and I have seen them growing well on the Aran islands where winds are strong.
    I'm guessing that the maples you refer to are sycamore and not norway maple or some other maple. Most maples have an acute branch angle which makes them prone to wind-snap, but Acer pseudoplatanus or sycamore is noted for being able to withstand strong sea winds.
    As the site is wet, I'd suggest some minimal drainage as excessively wet ground will stress many plants and give rise to other problems, and in windy situations a combination of wet ground and wind will lead to blow.

Advertisement