Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobby or electronics shop in Waterford

Options
  • 16-06-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows a good hobby shop or electronics store that sells resistors, transistors, capacitors and circuit boards. Trying to buy local

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

toner electronics on the corner of philip street might be able to sort you out there

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

I was in there last week. I felt they were a little pricy so seeing if there is any where else around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Electrical Rewind Services think what they are called on newgate street is it. worth a try

I give them a try are they a wholesaler?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

Www.tmart.com. They have free postage to ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

toner electronics on the corner of philip street might be able to sort you out there

Toners has everything you don't need...

If you can wait a few days + have access to a credit card, I recommend RS, Farnell and Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Toners has everything you don't need...

If you can wait a few days + have access to a credit card, I recommend RS, Farnell and Ebay.

And we wonder why shops in the city are closing....
    The OP wants to get stuff locally and support the economy and ye recommend he gets on the internet and purchases from godknowswhere.com!!!! OP sorry i don't know of anywhere you could get what your looking for
    Typical Waterford....give out and whinge about our own and then bitch when shops close down because we won't buy from them and get stuff cheaper elsewhere and then give out about the government doing nothing for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

The origional op said the shop was too expensive. I personally would love to shop local for everything. But im afraid i cant do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

brinty wrote: »
    The OP wants to get stuff locally and support the economy and ye recommend he gets on the internet and purchases from godknowswhere.com!!!! OP sorry i don't know of anywhere you could get what your looking for
    Typical Waterford....give out and whinge about our own and then bitch when shops close down because we won't buy from them and get stuff cheaper elsewhere and then give out about the government doing nothing for us...
    The reason people are recommending the Internet is because there isn't anywhere local. You yourself even said you couldn't think of anywhere. The only whinging and giving out is from you.

brinty wrote: »

Wow... Calm down...

At least I can justify my "whinging" regarding Toners. There is no place in Waterford that would suit the needs of OP. Toners would be the logical place (and probably the closest thing you will find in Waterford if you googled it).

Maplin would be the best place to go to, I believe there is one in Cork and there's definitely one in Dublin near the Jervis Centre. If it was me, I'd use RS, Farnell and Ebay and save myself a trip to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

At least I can justify my "whinging" regarding Toners. There is no place in Waterford that would suit the needs of OP. Toners would be the logical place (and probably the closest thing you will find in Waterford if you googled it).
    Toners is probably the only easily accessible place in Waterford for components but it is not their main business.
    Maplin would be the best place to go to
    Targeted at amateurs and dabblers rather than professionals or people with a clue. Farnell used to be about the best. RS used to be very highly priced for components because it was selling to the academic sector who hadn't a clue about cost effective designs and components.

It really depends on the skill level and the requirements of the OP.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks everyone for the feedback

It looks like locally Toners is the my main option.
    I am really only a starter in electronics so for my projects Toners will do.
    As I said a little pricey but for starters it is good place.

When I move up to a bigger project I would have to go online or take a trip to Cork to Maplins

jmcc wrote: »
    Targeted at amateurs and dabblers rather than professionals or people with a clue.

Which is what OP is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Which is what OP is...
    It is no harm to learn how to do things right.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

Hi,

Not wanting to get into the shop local vs non-existence of hobby electronic shops debate.

I was in the same boat as the OP and found this site excellent for starting kits etc:
    http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/

Advertisement